Thread: Ninja patch

Ninja patch

Hey,

I did a bit of a search but can't turn up anything, I booted up WoW about ~1hr ago and got some kind of new patch (about 1GB in total). Didn't seem to be any reason for it. As far as I knew my WoW was fully up to date. Only thing I can think of is I pre-ordered cata eariler on today but surely 1GB isn't enough for the cata content? Any light you can shed upon this would be great because I'm mighty confused.

Thanks!

You already downloaded almost all of the cataclysm content in 4.0.1 mate, its just not activated.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Cant be much help atm, Im at school with my Mac... TTwTT Ill check when I get home

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Naesen View Post
    You already downloaded almost all of the cataclysm content in 4.0.1 mate, its just not activated.
    If that were true we wouldnt need the Cataclysm install discs.

http://joekey.deviantart.com Sig by Lilliputia! <3

Quote Originally Posted by Narshe View Post
    You really don't. That's why Blizzard is offering pre loaded release if you pre order through them.

Most of the data for Cataclysm is already loaded- the Dvds you get from them will be everything you need up to that point if you were to do a fresh install.

Oh, but u won't need them. New world is already in game files.

@op i think it is the preorder cata data. I modified my config.wtf and launcher.wtf and the patch u are speaking off started (600 mb mpq + 2 others... close to 1 gb)

10+ Year Old Account
    Would I be right in saying it didn't actually apply the patch, only downloaded it? What you've got is called a pre-patch. They release small amounts of data over time to spread it out and not have several gigs worth needing to be downloaded on patch day.
    Just logged on and I'm not getting one, so I'd say it's part of the cata download. And don't worry, this isn't the entire thing; there'll be plenty more to come in time

Actually it does make sense. Since the changes are permanent, even people who don't buy Cataclysm would have to have the data downloaded to update the zones. So having a bulk of the data downloaded would be the only way to have all the non-cata players' games up to date.

[Edit]Looks like we were all thinking the same thing. :-P

The installation discs are mainly used to allow new players or players who haven't played for a long time to quickly patch to nearly live version without massive downloads. The main purpose for current players to purchase Cataclysm is to activate Cataclysm content on their account - not to actually install Cataclysm content.
    I'm in the "I don't have an obnoxiously large signature" club.

new xpac content = all the previous content to start from scratch with no install on your pc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    Kael'thas and Kil'Jaeden are actually quite similar. For one, both names start with the letter K, which is short for...kuhraaaaazy. Second, both had a hard-on for the color red and blood-elf girls. Third, they both were defeated at the Sunwell. Lastly, they both hate people who make threads comparing things that are as different as bananas and grape drink.

Bought Cata yesterday, and got a 800 MB patch after logging in. So not a ninja patch.