Thread: Boomkin DPS

Boomkin DPS

So I was running ICC 10 Man Drake run with my guild this past 2 weeks and i felt like i was at the bottom of the meters every single fight. Now my gear is on the lower end then most of my guildies (seeing they have been running ICC 25 HM for months and i have only been running it for 1 month) however before the nerf of IS i was atleast in the top 10 DPS and even higher on some fights like saurfang.

I feel like also before the patch i was up on the top 10 as well. Anyway I have been fooling around with different glyphs like glyph of focus and such but i have no idea what i am doing wrong. At the end of the fight i see my dps and i freak out saying oh shit am i in my resto gear?! I feel like a part of me isnt dpsing the right way because i dont really care about topping meters because cata is so close but i know my rotation is solid (maybe missing 1 refresh of a DOT from time to time.

anyway i just wanted peoples opinion on what they thought of their dps vs others. if you look at my armory and my sig (which i just made) i logged out in my resto spec but boomkin gear (yeah i do that alot just because im in a rush to get to work, which is where i am now haha) please let me know if there is something wrong with my gear or spec or glyphs or if its just me sucking personally haha. Thanks for any help

Quote Originally Posted by irishboomin View Post
    So I was running ICC 10 Man Drake run with my guild this past 2 weeks and i felt like i was at the bottom of the meters every single fight. Now my gear is on the lower end then most of my guildies (seeing they have been running ICC 25 HM for months and i have only been running it for 1 month)
    And you expect to top the meters?

no i more expected not to be at the bottom... below people i was beating in DPS a couple of weeks ago.

Irish, looking at your spec; you only took 1/2 in Blessing of the Grove. If you read the tooltip it effects the direct dmg of your moonfire by 3% per point. Thus, you are missing 3% direct dmg increase.

That isn't going to raise you from last to first, but it will help. Also, if you can link a World of Logs report. We can then view a sampling of boss fights and see what you may be doing wrong. (i.e. dot uptime too low, perhaps moving around too much)

Without assuming, do you have dot timers of some sort? Do you have an eclipse bar? Are you utilizing your nuke each time its available? Are you hit capped? (you are currently logged out in resto gear).

well we didnt use our WoL because it was just a drake run so cant help you there... i do use Eclipse Addon to track CDs and DOT timers and i see what u mean by that talent not in 2/2 Blessing of the Grove. However i guess my main concern is not my specific DPS during this run more like the fact that i feel like we as a class are having a hard time keeping up like we used to but maybe thats just me

Understood. Then, I would say we are fine. Since the patch I have increased my numbers by 3-4k dps. Depending on RNG, colateral duties etc. Compared to some other classes we are doing "GREAT". I'll send you a log for our raids next week. You can compare your dps to mine as well as gear etc. I'm logged out in Resto at this time as well but you can find me "Gerikdagrr". I should be the only one to pull up.

Good luck.
    Gerik

What is your hit chance when in boomkin, you logged as resto when i checked your armory.

the spell cap is 17% and since no class brings a raid wide hit buff anymore, you might want to convert some stats until you hit that number. Also what prime glyphes are you using?

May want to look into changing your spec: //wowtal.com/#k=15tyTMdv.a6q.druid.

Also make sure you have 17% hit now since hit debuffs are gone.

Deleted
    I have been playing boomkin for a while and after the patch i've always been in the op 8 in icc hc 25. Some fights when I get lucky with starsurge procs I even get top 3. Maybe u forgot to get more haste after the patch because that changed for us. 1416 is the new cap I think.

Quote Originally Posted by thiazi View Post
    I have been playing boomkin for a while and after the patch i've always been in the op 8 in icc hc 25. Some fights when I get lucky with starsurge procs I even get top 3. Maybe u forgot to get more haste after the patch because that changed for us. 1416 is the new cap I think.
    Personally I think you should only run about 1k haste at most, or else your starfall cooldown will begin clipping your lunar eclipse pretty often. But take some time, and practice the rotation if you havent already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ford
    Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably why few engage in it.
    This explains a lot.

Can't do much to help ya until we can get some logs posted at least.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't take Moltenice's spec. Boomkins are really mana-efficient now. Your current spec is just fine. It looks like you're hit capped as boomkin (assuming you don't change any gear). Unless you're spending large periods of time not casting or messing up the rotation, you should be doing pretty decent dps. Oh, and 2/2 BotG is overrated. If it provides an actual dps increase, it would be incredibly minimal and probably unnoticeable.

What was your dps on several of the fights? My boomkin has pretty similar gear to yours and I was doing ~12k on Saurfang (only 3 ranged hurts dps, especially when melee don't help with beasts with slows/stuns and one of the other ranged sucks) and I did ~20k on BQL(I was second bite and spent half the fight running across the room to scrubs who refused to help with Pact).

wowtal.com/#k=15tyTMdv.a6q.druid

Converted for the lazy

Here's my spec suggestion:

http://wowtal.com/#k=15tyLWIa.a6q.druid.Iz6mKQ (Glyphs included)
    Last edited by conqq; 2010-10-29 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Added suggestion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Off-topic: Also, can I ask you how you got 10m All You Can Eat? Did you just zerg it? I'm thinking of setting up a group for it and I was wondering how easy you thought it was.

Quote Originally Posted by link064 View Post
    Off-topic: Also, can I ask you how you got 10m All You Can Eat? Did you just zerg it? I'm thinking of setting up a group for it and I was wondering how easy you thought it was.
    Not OP but when we do it we do it the same as the regular fight but have tanks swap out and clear every ice block. No one else should be getting stacks high enough to fail the achievement anyway. Just gotta make sure everyone clears behind each ice block.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd suggest you look up Treemonger on Eonar Alliance for spec/glyphs and such because I'm in all 25 man reg some hm 25 gear and im pulling averaging 13k dps minimum. I've been sitting around the top 5 in my guild of most fights and im undergeared over 15 of them since I took a 3 month break. It's all about being able to have the right rot and hit cd's and stuff at the right time which you shouldn't be disappointed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokiron View Post
    Not OP but when we do it we do it the same as the regular fight but have tanks swap out and clear every ice block. No one else should be getting stacks high enough to fail the achievement anyway. Just gotta make sure everyone clears behind each ice block.
    I've tried it that way and it becomes too complicated too quickly. The problem is it gives tanks a really short window where they can clear stacks and not fail the achievement. The first block lands right around 4 stacks (mid-way to 5). That gives the OT exactly 2 seconds to clear stacks and pick up the boss before the MT runs out of time to get behind the block. After the first block, it isn't too bad, but it makes the fight last a really long time. The sheer coordination involved is silly compared to the zerg strategy.

I think with a solid group comp, you can easily zerg her without even having to bother with swapping tanks. I'm thinking something like:
    Paladin tank, Disc priest, boomkin (me), hunter, fire mage, ret paladin, warlock, warrior, spriest, and ele shaman

That should give us plenty of executes and all the necessary buffs. You need an average of ~16k dps for 35 seconds which is pretty easy given executes and heroism.

Anyway, just a thought...

Quote Originally Posted by link064 View Post
    I've tried it that way and it becomes too complicated too quickly. The problem is it gives tanks a really short window where they can clear stacks and not fail the achievement. The first block lands right around 4 stacks (mid-way to 5). That gives the OT exactly 2 seconds to clear stacks and pick up the boss before the MT runs out of time to get behind the block. After the first block, it isn't too bad, but it makes the fight last a really long time. The sheer coordination involved is silly compared to the zerg strategy.

I think with a solid group comp, you can easily zerg her without even having to bother with swapping tanks. I'm thinking something like:
    Paladin tank, Disc priest, boomkin (me), hunter, fire mage, ret paladin, warlock, warrior, spriest, and ele shaman

That should give us plenty of executes and all the necessary buffs. You need an average of ~16k dps for 35 seconds which is pretty easy given executes and heroism.

Anyway, just a thought...
    We did it with a warrior tank, 2 boomkins (me and our tree switching to dps off-spec), spriest, BM hunter, mage, ret pally, rogue warrior and priest healer (not sure if she was holy or disc, didn't pay attention to her really). The burn strategy was really easy TBH. It just took a little of RNG luck with myself and the mage not getting ice blocked, since we are the 2 highest DPS in that run. We are a more casual guild, and don't do many HM-ICC in 25, although I believe we are 5/12 HM, most we only did once just to say we did it, so we aren't by any means in Heroic gear, I maybe have 3 pieces or so.

Also, how do you only have 2 seconds once the first iceblock goes down? We tried the burn strat with a different group comp before the patch and we barely failed and got to 6 stacks after the second block had got down, and the blocks aren't 2 seconds apart, your OT should have plenty of time to clear on the first block.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slonah View Post
    Also, how do you only have 2 seconds once the first iceblock goes down? We tried the burn strat with a different group comp before the patch and we barely failed and got to 6 stacks after the second block had got down, and the blocks aren't 2 seconds apart, your OT should have plenty of time to clear on the first block.
    What I meant was that the first block happens mid-way through the 4th stack. You have 30 seconds from stack 1 to stack 6 (fail). If the first block appears in stack 4, that gives your OT until stack 5 to reset his stacks (which is usually about 2-3 seconds) and then back out so your MT can reset his stacks. The stack lasts 8 seconds, which means that you have to either get there early (somehow your OT positions himself in such a way that he LOS's Sindragosa the second the ice block appears) and reset it on the 4th stack or he has to wait the full 8 seconds (2 seconds after the 5th stack hits) to clear the stacks before picking up the boss. If done even perfectly, that only gives your MT 8 seconds to reset stacks before failing. If the first LOS fails and your OT has to wait till stack 5, that gives your MT 4 seconds to have the OT pick up the boss and get behind the iceblock. That doesn't give you hardly any time at all.

Good to hear about the zerg strat though. We shouldn't have any problem then. Most people in my group are 25 and 25h geared.