Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    I was having problems initially but then I took the time to figure out how healing has changed for us. I can tell that you're already aware of the mechanics of all of the spells and aren't new to the healing game. To be honest you can go out of your way to stack Haste or Int or Spirit or Crit (/facepalm) or whatever, but really, we are a month away from whatever you do now not really mattering. The gear and stats you have now isn't likely going to last you much past the lvl 85 normal dungeons and even then, by the time you hit 84 some of those quest and dungeon blues are going to start looking mighty attractive and probably are going to screw up whatever stats you have now.

In the end, I can't tell you what your problem is... only that for me, the learning curve was around using our WoG's and our HS Proc's effectively and positioning myself for LoD bursts. A 'BIG' mistake some of my guildies made was thinking that the terms Cheep/Moderate/Big were terms meant in the amount healed (FoL=Little, HL=Medium, DL=Large) but it's in reference to Mana cost (HL=Little, FoL=Medium, DL=Large). I've been telling them to basically use their WoG on 3 Stacks of Holy Power, Holy Shocks on Cooldown and Daybreak procs, HL for Fillers and FoL/DL/LoD as needed depending on the damage coming in. Pop Divine Plea/Protection & Divinity when needed and don't forget to judge for the haste buff.

Not sure that this helps...

Ill give you my beta stats really fast.

This is all unbuffed :

Mana : 86k
    Int : 4.1k
    SP: 5.8k
    Regen: 3.8k OOC / 2.5k IC
    Haste: 5.14%
    Crit: 14%
    Mastery: 12.83

These are the stat bonuses on gear I currently have :

Crit - 705
    Haste - 523
    Master - 796
    SP on Weap - 1729

So out of all those stats I have, Haste is on items the least. This is the gear they give us to raid test. I am int gemmed and I have a mix of crit, mastery, spirit, int, and haste enchants. They kinda didnt give a choice on what to enchant with what.

Im not saying drop all your haste now, but with the mechanic changes, you wont stack haste in cata like you do now, and this system in place on live is the same we will use in cata. At this point, rather you agree or not, stacking 1k haste is probably not the best way to go (if you are already gemmed, its fine).

---------- Post added 2010-10-29 at 10:41 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TheJellyTouch View Post
    I don't consider myself limited to a healing rotation. I heal to kill h lk. Yes I try to keep hs on cd and use wog as much as possible. I don't touch holy light because I'm not going oom. That's really all there is to it.
    since me and my guild were re-rolls, we havent gotten to heroic LK. just downed him on normal 10 man a week ago (been 80 about 3 weeks now). I do know we killed him and I never used a divine light but maybe 4-5 times the whole fight. I just dont think haste matters as much as people are making it out to at this moment in time and it definitely wont be a huge stat in cata (not like it was during the wrath baby era).
    Last edited by Tonkaden; 2010-10-29 at 03:42 PM.

In case anyone hasn't heard yet, haste is now a regen stat in addition to throughput.

Follow me on this. The more haste, the faster you can cast holy light, means you use the expensive heals less. Also, the faster you can cast _any_ heal on the beacon (assuming you are tank-healing) the quicker you generate holy power, means more words of glory.

Does this make sense, or am I just stark-raving mad?

Edit: Oh, and I do find myself cancelling heals more than I used to. I understand this was how healing worked for the majority of WoW's lifespan. :]
    Last edited by Sagittaron; 2010-10-29 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonkaden View Post
    Ill give you my beta stats really fast.

This is all unbuffed :

Mana : 86k
    Int : 4.1k
    SP: 5.8k
    Regen: 3.8k OOC / 2.5k IC
    Haste: 5.14%
    Crit: 14%
    Mastery: 12.83

These are the stat bonuses on gear I currently have :

Crit - 705
    Haste - 523
    Master - 796
    SP on Weap - 1729

So out of all those stats I have, Haste is on items the least. This is the gear they give us to raid test. I am int gemmed and I have a mix of crit, mastery, spirit, int, and haste enchants. They kinda didnt give a choice on what to enchant with what.

Im not saying drop all your haste now, but with the mechanic changes, you wont stack haste in cata like you do now, and this system in place on live is the same we will use in cata. At this point, rather you agree or not, stacking 1k haste is probably not the best way to go (if you are already gemmed, its fine).

---------- Post added 2010-10-29 at 10:41 AM ----------

since me and my guild were re-rolls, we havent gotten to heroic LK. just downed him on normal 10 man a week ago (been 80 about 3 weeks now). I do know we killed him and I never used a divine light but maybe 4-5 times the whole fight. I just dont think haste matters as much as people are making it out to at this moment in time and it definitely wont be a huge stat in cata (not like it was during the wrath baby era).
    I'm not declaring that I know everything about how to heal in cata. So many things are still being adjusted and yes, I haven't had a chance to play on beta. But you said that was the gear that was given to you. Ideal gear is usually a struggle to come by. I'm not even talking BiS necessarily but more of filling every item slot with the correct distribution of stats for 'ideal play'. Obviously there are always some differences of opinion and people will play differently. And now that holy paladins have been remade it's going to be awhile before we've seen/played enough to have really tried everything out.

I understand that the damage distribution in cata is different, but being locked into a healing rotation with low haste seems very impractical. Someone needs a fast heal and maybe half the time I can give it to them, half the time I can't. Throw RNG into that. No, I'd rather have the haste to still be useful in all situations. Maybe not as much haste as in WotLK, but I still think it will be crucial.

IMO too much about holy paladins now is based on RNG. I don't see how this can be beneficial in new content. Haste is static, and if you are healing the raid with support/beacon healing the tank then haste has an obvious advantage over a straight tank healer.

I can't say any of this is how I will feel in a few months for sure, but I can't help thinking that slower heals is not the answer. Especially against the alternative of overheals.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonkaden View Post
    HS >> .6sec HL >> 2.0sec HL >> WoG >> HS >> HS >> .6sec HL >> 2.0sec HL >> WoG >> HS

So thats a 10 spell rotation

2 of those Holy Lights are affected by haste. Thats it. 20% of your heals. Crit affects them all. Int affects them all. Haste does not.
    Sorry, I had to register to comment on this. Every single one of those heals benefited from the 21% haste you have. 100% of them. All of them. Haste lowers the GCD for casters down to a minimum of 1 second. The only time haste stops affecting spells is if they have a cast time less than 1 second (after haste) and you have more than 33% haste (edit: and only the part above 33% doesn't affect them!). Remember, you treat instant spells as having a cast time of 1.5 seconds that are front loaded (instead of healing at the end of the cast time, you heal at the beginning of the cast time) and you can cast while moving.

Edit#2: at the soft haste cap, those 2.0 sec HL's are at 1.32 cast time, not 2.0. At your haste they have a 1.58 cast time. Those "instant" HS's have an overall cost of 1.2seconds at your haste. Same with the WoG's and the proc'ed .6sec HL's. They all have a time cost of ~1.2 seconds for you at 21% haste, while someone at the haste soft cap, they would only have a time cost of 1 second.
    Last edited by Ripster42; 2010-10-29 at 04:42 PM.

Even in periods of no one taking damage, I've been using HL on the Beacon just to build Holy Power.

Like every once said, Paladins have changed a lot, and the expensive heals need to be used sparingly. Till we get Holy Radiance, I don't really bother trying to aoe heal if there is a Resto Sham/Druid.

[11:50:45] Earthmender Duarn says: Shamanistic healing is a complex art. You can't just chain heal all day.

Deleted
    Go for gem bonuses, and gem everything with
    red:int/spirit
    blue:spirit
    yellow:int/haste

Also try and use your holy light/holy shock as much as possible. When i raid i hardly use Flash of Light or Divine light.
    And when it comes to lk, i dont know if this is heroic, but use light of dawn on every infest, stand behind the grp so you get everyone as well as use Divine light for Soul Reaper ONLY. Try timing divine so that it heals just as SR hits to get the least possible over healing. Have fun

Quote Originally Posted by HeatM1ser View Post
    Alright...it was helpful to hear that I should have been using HL, when I took it out of my rotation, and to use FoL less than what I have been

And yes, Bobzor...I obviously was overhealing...paladins are infamous for their overhealing. What I was getting at was that you offered no suggestion as to what spells I should rely on the most the way others stated.I meant no disrespect, but you were being rather vague when you didnt offer any ideas or advice on how to minimize my overhealing.
    Wait... you asked why he assumed you were overhealing and then go on to say paladins are infamous for overhealing? That's funny.

Anyway, on to the point - I've healed numerous raids on my Holy Paladin since patch. You can safely spam HL on the Beaconed tank, and (if you have 2/2 WoG talent in prot) likely be tossing out free WoG heals repeatedly if the 3 Holy Power charges are refunded by the talent. Between Beacon provided 1 HP per heal to the Beacon target, Holy Shock providing 1 HP per heal (2 on the Beacon, I think) you should never be chain casting HL too the point of ad nauseum since you will constantly have free instant WoG's and Holy Shock. Divine Light can't be spammed, nor Flash of Light, without risking serious mana detriment, so you should only be using that for predictable damage.

And use Light of Dawn for a pretty 1 second Lightshow.

Quote Originally Posted by headzinthacloudz View Post
    2 on the Beacon, I think
    Don't know why kids still think this.

Don't know why kids still think this.
    Sorry grandpa, didn't mean to offend your delicate nature. I generate HP so fast with or without it generating 2, so it probably just appeared to generate 2 from a single shock. Don't soil your Depends.

Sorry grandpa, didn't mean to offend your delicate nature. I generate HP so fast with or without it generating 2, so it probably just appeared to generate 2 from a single shock. Don't soil your Depends.
    lol k. lrn2play and don't give incorrect advice. Run along now.

Wait... you asked why he assumed you were overhealing and then go on to say paladins are infamous for overhealing? That's funny.
    I'm hearing more and more how paladins are overhealing alot less since the patch, but in the past we were always known for overhealing quite a bit. I don't have combat logs from that VoA, but I assume that my overhealing was much less since that patch than it would have been before the patch. I am reading how some pallies are only overhealing 8-10% since the patch, which is a lot different from the 75% overhealing that I was used to pre-patch.

lol k. lrn2play and don't give incorrect advice. Run along now.
    Pretty sure since I said "I THINK", I wasn't giving him CONCRETE advice on the function of Holy Shock in conjunction with Beacon of Light, in the sense that he shouldn't verify that particular. Now, why don't you dislodge your head from that high horse you call an ass, and I'll "l2p" - kthxbye!

---------- Post added 2010-10-30 at 06:55 PM ----------

[/COLOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by kruxii View Post
    Go for gem bonuses, and gem everything with
    red:int/spirit
    blue:spirit
    yellow:int/haste

Also try and use your holy light/holy shock as much as possible. When i raid i hardly use Flash of Light or Divine light.
    And when it comes to lk, i dont know if this is heroic, but use light of dawn on every infest, stand behind the grp so you get everyone as well as use Divine light for Soul Reaper ONLY. Try timing divine so that it heals just as SR hits to get the least possible over healing. Have fun
    Only go for bonuses that have 9 sp, maybe 7sp. But 9sp is better. Dont go for 5 sp, 4 crit, 4 spirit, or any of those types of bonuses bec they arent worth the raw Int increase.

And the gems should be like this:

Red = 20 int

Orange = 10 int 10 haste

Blue = 10 int 10 spirit.

Dont sacrifice int for straight spirit. Reforge crit into spirit if you need to get that stat higher.

---------- Post added 2010-10-30 at 06:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by HeatM1ser View Post
    I'm hearing more and more how paladins are overhealing alot less since the patch, but in the past we were always known for overhealing quite a bit. I don't have combat logs from that VoA, but I assume that my overhealing was much less since that patch than it would have been before the patch. I am reading how some pallies are only overhealing 8-10% since the patch, which is a lot different from the 75% overhealing that I was used to pre-patch.
    Doesnt matter you will always overheal, its not something you need to worry about (even if you dont spam heals, you will overheal with protector of the innocent)
    Last edited by Theholypally; 2010-10-30 at 06:59 PM.

http://www.twitch.tv/hammerpairs 7/7 Mythic EN / 3/3 Mythic ToV / 10/10 Mythic NH / 9/9 Mythic ToS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBmNLMo4vcI some old school CM fun
    "Your lights will go out. The darkness will envelop you. And you will fear the shadows that move within it."