Not about TV, but books...

There is no misc section, so I apologize for this in advance. I won't be butthurt if a mod deletes this or whatnot, but it was the closest subforum compared to music and computer.

I'm reading House of Leaves, which is fascinating albeit not an easy read (but that's besides the point).

My favorite books, the ones I absolutely cannot put down, are the ones people tend to label as "mindfuck". Basically, books that leave you with a sense of awe, a chill, throw you a MAJOR curve-ball, usually invoking some sort of revelation be it fictional or otherwise, and generally all around eerie/creepy/scary/horror.

Any suggestions? It isn't like there is a specific category I can go browsing through in popular bookstores or online sites that appeals to this reaction people might get from reading the book. David Wellington's werewolf books are labeled as supernatural or horror, but by no means do they make you feel disturbed or enlightened, for example. Any genre has books in it that can do those things, though.

The Stand.

he is right, we do need a misc forum.
    "With this costume, I'll get Asian girls for sure!"
    - Judge Malthred revealing my avatar's inner thoughts

Well its not really scary, but I LOVE the Wheel of Time series. By far the best book series ever written. Its fantasy and the 13th book in the series comes out tuesday with the 14th and final coming out next year. Many many critics say its better then lord of the rings. So that should tell you something. There is mystery in the series just because of the fact that there it literally hundreds of characters, possibly over a 1000. I don't know as I have never tried counting or seen a full count. They really are worth reading though if you like fantasy in even the slightest bit. Plus with soon to be 13 books in the series it will keep you busy for a while unless you are one of those people that claims (aka full of shit) they read 300 pages in 20 minutes.

15+ Year Old Account
    FYI, probably going to have a books section when we do figure out which forums we're adding. It might be combined with this one, or it might be a separate one, but there are several people who'd like to see a place somewhere.

I think here's the best place for now, though

10+ Year Old Account
    How about Stephen King books? Those tend to be scary and usually give a nice open ending. As for the revelation.. We are all human in the end?
    For the Emperor.

Quote Originally Posted by Soyuz View Post
    How about Stephen King books? Those tend to be scary and usually give a nice open ending. As for the revelation.. We are all human in the end?
    Stephen King can be a bit overrated. I mean there is only so many ways to write a horror story with some type of a twist ending. 'It' is supposed to be the best book he has ever written and I found it to be kind of boring. It was waaaaaay to long for one thing. You could literally rip 300 pages out of that book and it would still tell exactly the same story.

10+ Year Old Account
    if you want something totally awsome where even a main character can be decapitated in a matter of pages

--> read: "A Song Of Ice And Fire"
    when i die ... i won't drop any loot mwhahahaha