Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Pally tank seal question

I am kind of new to pally tanking (still not 80 yet) and I can't figure out which is the proper seal to use. I've been using Seal of Insight because the mana regen thing seems important, but it's in the holy tree. But yeah, what seal should I use?

use seal of truth only use insight or soloing or in certain situations where is weak heal is needed you shouldnt need the mana from it. Seal of truth makes up 1/6th of your threat iirc so seal of insight is a pretty big dps drop and i think on mobs that die really fast seal of righteous is better then seal of truth (think mobs that die in under 10 seconds) which are few and far between and arnt really worth seal swapping for

you get seal of truth at 44. if for some reason you're not 44 yet then use Righteousness. you should not need the mana regen of insight if you keep judgement of the wise up.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    true, too bad you still find paladins tanking @ lvl 50+ with seal of insight

Quote Originally Posted by Téuntjûh View Post
    if it was pre patch with seal of wisdom, I would agree, but seals for almost everything except bosses really don't make any difference dmg wise. What DOES matter however is the 10 expertise skill you gain with seal of truth, that at low lvl is really OP as you really don't get much expertise on gear before lvl 71+.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Ret was broken. If you don’t see eye to eye with us on that, then it’s understandable why the degree of change might be surprising to you
    i7 920@ 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte X58A-UD7, 6GB Ram Triple Channel OCZ @ 1900Mhz, CrossFire HD 5850 1Gb, Vertex 3 240Gb, BenQ M2700HD. G15 Keyboard

Seal of truth and glyph of seal of truth.
    Pondering returning.
    Nikoll - Retribution Paladin

15+ Year Old Account
    Ya im seeing this a lot in Heroics lately when i decide to not tank. Pallys will join in and tank with Might(when there is not other pally or druid for kings) seal of insight and even going as far as gemming spirit and int. I ask them why they did these things in an intriguing constructive way and they say STFU or because I need mana dumbass. What is up with this? Have these tanks figured since we cant use divine plea the same way anymore we HAVE to have all these other regen methods and never stopped to actually realize we don't have mana problems anymore?
    Last edited by Verzerrung; 2010-11-01 at 05:10 PM.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    so true, blizzard can remove mana bar from prot pallies tbh

Quote Originally Posted by Fryr View Post
    Ya im seeing this a lot in Heroics lately when i decide to not tank. Pallys will join in and tank with Might(when there is not other pally or druid for kings).
    Might is better than kings ...

Quote Originally Posted by Fryr View Post
    Ya im seeing this a lot in Heroics lately when i decide to not tank. Pallys will join in and tank with Might(when there is not other pally or druid for kings) seal of insight and even going as far as gemming spirit and int. I ask them why they did these things in an intriguing constructive way and they say STFU or because I need mana dumbass. What is up with this? Have these tanks figured since we cant use divine plea the same way anymore we HAVE to have all these other regen methods and never stopped to actually realize we don't have mana problems anymore?
    No, they were Healing before they queue'd and forgot to respec as Prot. I do that from time to time.

10+ Year Old Account
    At level 85, while doing a Heroic dungeon, I use Seal of Truth on bosses and Seal of Righteousness on trash. I also have NO hit, and only 10 expertise from the Glyph of Seal of Truth. The only reason I use Righteousness is to help get burst threat. Truth is without a doubt the best for threat, but only after you have a full five-stack of Censure. If I'm raiding though, it's Seal of Truth 24/7.

Quote Originally Posted by Nillo View Post
    How do you figure, sports fan? Kings gives Strength, Stamina, AND magic resistance. How is Might any good? The attack power bonus gives less benefits than the 5% Strength, and if you need the mana return, you're doing it ALL wrong.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nillo View Post
    Considering LFD healers are often somewhat dim, you should always go for as much survivability as you can, which by far is kings.

Although the last time I had an LFD group without another paladin or a druid is probably months ago.

Some thing i do is i swap between insight and truth. Its knowing when to swap and u hav to know he mobs. If ur pulling spell caster ur insight cos u dont get mana back. Melle targets use truth. On melle targets u wont loose mana unless ur spamming consecration, which is fail. Another one is if ur not tanking for a while afer a other tank taunted of u, but make sure to get insight uP to 5 stacks just befor u hav to taunt again. All in all u should just get to know the mobs and situationsand ull be fine to swap between the 2. And if ur full on mana use truth

Quote Originally Posted by Waddlegam View Post
    I am kind of new to pally tanking (still not 80 yet) and I can't figure out which is the proper seal to use. I've been using Seal of Insight because the mana regen thing seems important, but it's in the holy tree. But yeah, what seal should I use?
    When you DING 85, you should start using Seal of Truth for Dungeons and Raids.In combination with the Seal of Truth glyph, you gain +10 expertise, which is a great benefit for any tank class.

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=56416

Your Seal of Truth also grants 10 expertise while active.

If you are soloing, for instance, the Daily's or any old Raid/Dungeon content, I would advise Seal of Light, since it heals and grants you mana.

Apart

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Téuntjûh View Post
    Try level 85. >.<

I always facepalm when I see pally tanks who insist on using Seal of Insight and Blessing of Might (not referring to you, OP, but the stubborn ones). Most of the time when I point it out, they just shrug and ignore me. But it's still irritating to have to hold back significantly, because one heavy hitting ability and I pull aggro off.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurzon View Post
    At level 85, while doing a Heroic dungeon, I use Seal of Truth on bosses and Seal of Righteousness on trash. I also have NO hit, and only 10 expertise from the Glyph of Seal of Truth. The only reason I use Righteousness is to help get burst threat. Truth is without a doubt the best for threat, but only after you have a full five-stack of Censure. If I'm raiding though, it's Seal of Truth 24/7.

How do you figure, sports fan? Kings gives Strength, Stamina, AND magic resistance. How is Might any good? The attack power bonus gives less benefits than the 5% Strength, and if you need the mana return, you're doing it ALL wrong.
    The mana return is not for the paladin, its for the healer, if the healer have less downtime cause of that regen, you ll finish quicker.

And never use Seal of Rigtheousness, Seal of Truth is way better after the patch, you can keep 5stacks of censure up on 5 different targets, and you can get a full stack up in 3 seconds.
    Kiea from Solidarity EU, Tarren Mill.
    Stream (Thursday 21:00 | Sunday 19:45 | Monday 19:45).

I use seal of insight sometimes when I'm tanking a heroic...generally because either, the healer is undergeared and I'm trying to help them out as much as possible. Or, the fight is heal intensive, and with seal of insight + WoG I can heal myself through about half of the bosses in heroics, so I'll switch to insight for the boss to let the healer focus more on the party.

Truth is only really needed for threat. And generally, threat only matters for the first 10-20seconds of the fight....so why exactly are you using a threat seal a minute into the fight?

Also, I discovered in a heroic awhile ago, that seal of insight heals cause threat. So for pure aoe pulls, truth<insight (threat against the one mob vs low threat to all mobs), oh, forgot. with the truth changes to censure, idk if this is true anymore...depends on number of mobs, and if you are just hitting 5 of them, or switch around and getting a few stack on each one I think.

As for people saying that you have to use truth for the expertise....

do you gem/enchant/gear/ for expertise currently? no. So why the hell would you use a spell for expertise?

Because 10 expertise is better than the alternative glyph and mediocre/insignificant heals?

Also, for pure aoe pulls (any geared tank's pull in a heroic is now an aoe pull again) seal of righteousness is superior to both.

I use seal of truth because it really makes very little difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    I rarely ever use SoR except when I spec ret. I just keep Truth up the entire time. Really the only time I ever use SoI is during Maloriak when tanking the adds, and when I'm too bored to wait for the healer...
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Quote Originally Posted by Xaru View Post
    Because 10 expertise is better than the alternative glyph and mediocre/insignificant heals?

Also, for pure aoe pulls (any geared tank's pull in a heroic is now an aoe pull again) seal of righteousness is superior to both.

I use seal of truth because it really makes very little difference.
    Eh...As i said, I use insight sometimes. If for some reason I'm pugging, and I get a healer with 70k mana. I'll run insight. Is it optimal? no....but it somewhat makes up for the healer's low gear.

Have you ever had your healer and every dps die in the first 20 seconds of a fight because they decide to not run out of a void zone? or don't run when walden turns them green? or decide to stand right next to ozruk even after you are shouting at them to get away (after moving the boss as far back as you can before pulling the mobs in the next room)? I have...and insight is a noticeable heal if you don't have a healer.