Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

DPS who think they can tank

I've been encountering this a lot lately... I que for a random heroic, or in some cases even pug the weekly and the first thing I usually see:

-A mix of DPS and tanking gear, oddly all the tanking pieces have blue gems and third rate enchants on them, while the dps pieces are significantly better and have epic gems in them.

-The Lordaeron shield, and or an ilevel 200 vendor shield, usually using a mace or sword from TOC 5

-Brewfest tanking trinkets, this is usually the mugs but sometimes a mug and the Brawler's Souvenir.

-Cheap +stamina armor patches thrown on random pieces to substitute real enchants.

When they play I usually encounter the following:

Lack of awareness: They will run up and aoe mobs, ignoring the fact that one or two may run off and attack the healer or dps.

Attitude: A lot, im not saying all, but a lot of these DPS tanks have an attitude, any attempt at advice, or criticism may it be constructive or otherwise usually ends in a quick outburst followed by them abruptly leaving the group. This isn't a big deal for me because I have a tank spec, but in the middle of a pull it can be annoying.

Anyway im not really sure what the point of this thread is... just a rant I guess, because I've been encountering this a lot lately.

Deleted
    It's the drawback of the new patch but atleast not tanking without def cap =D

I guess you are healer? Casue if so im sick of getting healers like you, who demand a kitted tank for a silly extremly simple heroic.
    Last night i ran heroics with some m8s and we all have fury warr alts and we got several healers who refused to heal any of us simply casue we took "too much damage" even though it all was easily healed. My opinion is that generally healers seem to rather to the Tauren "scratching my own ass" emote instead of healing.

People say i have an attitude too, they tell me i can't tank, but hell it's hard to find cloth armors with defense rating on them for my mage! Stoopid healers who can't keep me maxed...

Nah in all seriousness, i know what you mean. I don't care much about gear or the colour of their gems as long as they can keep the threat. But i do hate when we try giving advices and they won,t listen

I've run into a few instances where I (healer) had more HP than the tank, with the same buffs, etc. of course. I have full 264 gear, but still...

Many of the blue posts talked about removing defense cap to allow a higher pool of tanks in the queue at any given time.

At the low levels I have been leveling a warrior, and I queue as a tank, with a 2hander, and dont even bother with defensive stance (level 25-40ish dungeons), and havent even died yet. (And yes I ask the healer if they mind first, not a total LFD jerk).

The real problem with the new scenario is the people who queue as tank who only wanted an insta queue and dont have a clue what the different between dps and tanking actually requires.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hots View Post
    I guess you are healer? Casue if so im sick of getting healers like you, who demand a kitted tank for a silly extremly simple heroic.
    Last night i ran heroics with some m8s and we all have fury warr alts and we got several healers who refused to heal any of us simply casue we took "too much damage" even though it all was easily healed. My opinion is that generally healers seem to rather to the Tauren "scratching my own ass" emote instead of healing.
    Yes, and when "tanks" such as yourself run in to the new instances in Cataclysm and wonder why you get roflpwned, who do you have to blame? Besides, if you want to be a tank, go all the way with it. Learn how to actually tank and what to do with runners/adds/aggro wipes/etc. Don't half-ass it just to get your Heroic queues.
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!

We all started somewhere. I tanked the whole of Naxx in a mix of blues and 28K health.

I seriously doubt these people knew what def was before the patch so I don't think the patch had anything to do with it. I see this a lot as well. Usually DKs but the others do it too. They don't care if they slow the dungeon down for everyone else, they're just too selfish/lazy to wait in queue.

These people are a part of the reason that asshole dps treat tanks like shit. They encounter dps trying to play tank and then develop a bad attitude toward tanks and try to treat them like shit as often as possible.

Asshole tanks and asshole dps are just a fact of being on the internet. I think most people on the internet are only here to try to ruin someone elses fun. Until Bliz starts screening for maturity we just have to deal with it.
    Drunk toddlers in a dryer

Because heroics require you to have the absolute best tanking gear/ enchants/gems, right?

The only problem you have is tanks with an attitude, which is not a tank-only thing.

I welcome any and all new tanks that shorten my q times, and I hope you come around and do also.

(Assuming of course that badly geared tanks aren't getting into HoR)

Quote Originally Posted by Vasz View Post
    We all started somewhere. I tanked the whole of Naxx in a mix of blues and 28K health.
    you lies naxx reqs 45k health or more.

As I healer I don't mind it. Keeps me from falling asleep at the keyboard or spamming mind sear for 400 dps while I fap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Groovemaster View Post
    I've been encountering this a lot lately... I que for a random heroic, or in some cases even pug the weekly and the first thing I usually see:

-A mix of DPS and tanking gear, oddly all the tanking pieces have blue gems and third rate enchants on them, while the dps pieces are significantly better and have epic gems in them.

-The Lordaeron shield, and or an ilevel 200 vendor shield, usually using a mace or sword from TOC 5

-Brewfest tanking trinkets, this is usually the mugs but sometimes a mug and the Brawler's Souvenir.

-Cheap +stamina armor patches thrown on random pieces to substitute real enchants
    You're complaining about people having blue gems, ilvl 200 gear, and such.

Every heroic, minus the ICC/ToC ones, are tuned to be done with level 80 blue gear. And those four exceptions have special gear requirements that they'll need to meet.

You have a point with regards to attitude and awareness, but your complaints on gear are way off base.

If you were horribly undergeared and relying on healers to carry you, you deserved it. But if you just wanted to tank in dps gear to speed up the run, go for it imo.

Way to generalize a huge portion of the playerbase btw. I dare you to repeat it at the beginning of each heroic and see just how often you die .

15+ Year Old Account
    Spoiled brats

Quote Originally Posted by Vasz View Post
    No no no. At the start of the Xpac tanks were in shit gear but that was ok because everyone was. To try to tank a random in blues now is just selfish as hell. You "start somewhere" as dps and dont tank until you are actually capable of tanking without slowing the instance down and adding 10 minutes to four other peoples day just to save yourself 10 minutes of queue time.

You selfish people need to stop looking at heroics in terms of "whats possible" and start thinking about "Whats considered carrying my own damn weight and not slowing everyone else down just to save myself a little time because I'm a selfish prick."

Every tank has a dps spec. If you're a fresh 80 you need to use it until you can keep up. I have all four tank specs and I would never have thought to queue any of them as tanks without adequate gear to keep a good pace.
    Last edited by draticus; 2010-11-01 at 04:26 PM.
    Drunk toddlers in a dryer

Quote Originally Posted by Awarelol View Post
    I've run into a few instances where I (healer) had more HP than the tank, with the same buffs, etc. of course. I have full 264 gear, but still...
    Back around the release of Ulduar, if you got a tank with 30k hp in a heroic you were ecstatic. Nowadays, that's somehow "too low" to tank those very same heroics. If you're healing it with full 264 gear, you should be able to heal pretty much anyone through heroics with no problem. I healed a fury warrior for the first half of Oculus because the tank was one of those who still think that place takes more than 10 minutes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by boseguy22 View Post
    The real problem with the new scenario is the people who queue as tank who only wanted an insta queue and dont have a clue what the different between dps and tanking actually requires.
    I think a solution for this, atleast at low levels is to make it impossible to sign as a tank or healer, unless your spec is tank or healer, as speccing into those trees atleast shows you might be able to do those jobs.

did this even before the patch - except i weared (spelling?) my dps staff and my usually int stuff not some crappy tank shield.
    not in randoms though - only with a pocket healer i knew <3
    but - as always you have to know what you are doing
    Quote Originally Posted by SurePlay
    Most Loved : [...] Germans (yea German people are actually awesome, fuck the World War sterotype bullshit)

A lot, im not saying all, but a lot of these DPS tanks have an attitude, any attempt at advice, or criticism may it be constructive or otherwise usually ends in a quick outburst
    Butthurting example of the very phenomenon described by OP hastily presented itself.