1. #4401
    Brewmaster Robbyjawz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Deadmines
    Posts
    1,426
    Holy mother of god... I was at work for the game, and couldn't watch it, but I had my bosses running score updates, and now after watching the highlights, Aldon Smith is a freaking monster, and this is exactly why the 49ers need to get another Justin Smith, that position and how Fangio runs the defense gives offensive lines fits with all the stunts that come from the two of them.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it.
    Sane people are boring. Or else I've been around insane people so long that I can't tell the difference anymore. Either way, chase away those silly notions of linear thought: they have never done anyone good.
    VanCleef wants you! Join the Defias Brotherhood and hang out on a yacht all day!

  2. #4402
    Fluffy Kitten Badpaladin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    ccaarrrrllllll
    Posts
    11,090
    To be fair it's not that hard to get sacks on the Bears. I could see any of the top 5 pass rushers in the league racking up at least 3 in a game.
    My Short Required Reading List: One. Two. || Last.fm

  3. #4403
    Fluffy Kitten conscript's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Jonesville, Michigan
    Posts
    10,443
    Am I crazy to think Kaepernick is the best QB on the 49ers? They scored their second most points of the season yesterday against arguably the second best defense in the league and he looked phenomenal.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-20 at 06:43 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Amsden View Post
    Cowboys may be looking for a QB to groom in the draft. Don't be surprised if they take one in round 2 or 3.
    Quality point, forgot about them completely. I think Romo is a good QB, but ya I wouldn't be surprised if they hedge their bet (or even tried to swing a trade for another embattled QB who needs a change of scenery like Rivers).

  4. #4404
    Herald of the Titans Vetali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Washington, Land of Rain
    Posts
    2,804
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbyjawz View Post
    Holy mother of god... I was at work for the game, and couldn't watch it, but I had my bosses running score updates, and now after watching the highlights, Aldon Smith is a freaking monster, and this is exactly why the 49ers need to get another Justin Smith, that position and how Fangio runs the defense gives offensive lines fits with all the stunts that come from the two of them.
    Bears O line is garbage. People forget how many sacks Clay Matthews got against him (and yeah, I bought that hype back then). After they got 0 sacks against Seattle I then realized how bad the Bears o line is. Even if Jay starts by the Seattle game I think this is a very winnable game.

    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Am I crazy to think Kaepernick is the best QB on the 49ers? They scored their second most points of the season yesterday against arguably the second best defense in the league and he looked phenomenal.
    Well he actually threw to Vernon Davis, so thats already an improvement.

  5. #4405
    Moderator Pendulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Treno
    Posts
    12,631
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Am I crazy to think Kaepernick is the best QB on the 49ers? They scored their second most points of the season yesterday against arguably the second best defense in the league and he looked phenomenal.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-20 at 06:43 AM ----------



    Quality point, forgot about them completely. I think Romo is a good QB, but ya I wouldn't be surprised if they hedge their bet (or even tried to swing a trade for another embattled QB who needs a change of scenery like Rivers).
    No. See, this is the Matt Flynn disease. We see spurts of him pretending to run the ball throughout the season, but everyone's getting hyped up over one game. Kaepernick has mobility, but guess who also does? Alex Smith. He didn't do anything in that game that Smith wouldn't have done. Bears just played a bad game. Guess what? That happens. And I don't seen why everyone was hyping up Jason Campbell before the game. He may have had prior experience, but notice nobody's knocking down the doors to get him as a starter. Because he's not a starter.

    Oh, and as far as Tony Romo goes. They already have Kyle Orton. I think there's a reason Orton hasn't seen any playing time this year. Cowboys fans get over it, and deal with the fact you need to draft six offensive line next year.

    General Off-topic/Fun Stuff/Diablo 3/Sports & Fitness mod(rules)------KUPO --------Sig by Elyssia------- Say hello to a world of marigolds

  6. #4406
    Brewmaster Robbyjawz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Deadmines
    Posts
    1,426
    I have to say being a 49er's fan: Kaepernick DID do things that Smith doesn't, throw the deep passes. He is Captain Checkdown for a reason. However, I want Smith to start out the rest of the season and see what happens after the fact, I feel Kaep is the QB of the future, but I would rather not have it in the now, while hte team is flying on track, because what if Kaep isn't ready? Smith's confidence goes down the shitter fast, and something like that would ruin everything that he has been doing in the past season and a half.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it.
    Sane people are boring. Or else I've been around insane people so long that I can't tell the difference anymore. Either way, chase away those silly notions of linear thought: they have never done anyone good.
    VanCleef wants you! Join the Defias Brotherhood and hang out on a yacht all day!

  7. #4407
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    No. See, this is the Matt Flynn disease. We see spurts of him pretending to run the ball throughout the season, but everyone's getting hyped up over one game. Kaepernick has mobility, but guess who also does? Alex Smith. He didn't do anything in that game that Smith wouldn't have done. Bears just played a bad game. Guess what? That happens. And I don't seen why everyone was hyping up Jason Campbell before the game. He may have had prior experience, but notice nobody's knocking down the doors to get him as a starter. Because he's not a starter.

    Oh, and as far as Tony Romo goes. They already have Kyle Orton. I think there's a reason Orton hasn't seen any playing time this year. Cowboys fans get over it, and deal with the fact you need to draft six offensive line next year.
    People get excited because guys like Smith and Romo are known quantities. Alex Smith had progressed to the point where he won't lose you any games. He doesn't turn the ball over. He also doesn't have that big play potential. Romo is a guy that can wow you with his talent, but will absolutely make 3-4 bonehead plays a game and you just have to hope they don't kill you. That's why those fans are clamoring for change. They know what they have and are sick of it. Some Jets fans want to start friggin Tebow. It's not about the other guy being better, it's about him being another guy.

  8. #4408
    Fluffy Kitten conscript's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Jonesville, Michigan
    Posts
    10,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    No. See, this is the Matt Flynn disease. We see spurts of him pretending to run the ball throughout the season, but everyone's getting hyped up over one game. Kaepernick has mobility, but guess who also does? Alex Smith. He didn't do anything in that game that Smith wouldn't have done. Bears just played a bad game. Guess what? That happens. And I don't seen why everyone was hyping up Jason Campbell before the game. He may have had prior experience, but notice nobody's knocking down the doors to get him as a starter. Because he's not a starter.

    Oh, and as far as Tony Romo goes. They already have Kyle Orton. I think there's a reason Orton hasn't seen any playing time this year. Cowboys fans get over it, and deal with the fact you need to draft six offensive line next year.
    But overhyping people prior to their inevitable fall from grace is fun damn it. Matt Flynn never even got to take a snap before his fall happened. Also, Flynn lit up the terrible, terrible Lions. Kaepernick beat the Bears, a fantastic defense that folks were (stupidly) comparing to their 85 team. Kaepernick is behind Alex Smith a guy who has shown flashes of not being mediocre in one game in his entire career, the Saints playoff game. It is more fair to get hyped over a backup behind a mediocre QB who he could in theory usurp. Bandwagoning is fun bro, do it.

    Speaking of terrible stuff, last night was the first time I have really watched a good portion of a MNF game all year. I didn't have tv for most of the season and didn't watch a good chunk of the last couple with sound on. Good lord is the announcing unbearable. John Gruden is just the worst. Someone needs to give that guy some downers or something. Listening to him being so enamored with everything and everyone is fucking awful.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-20 at 01:46 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by buck008 View Post
    Some Jets fans want to start friggin Tebow. It's not about the other guy being better, it's about him being another guy.
    In their defense, Sanchez is a known quantity like you said, and that quantity is fucking terrible. The Jets fans would be clamoring for anyone not named Mark Sanchez right now, it being Tebow just amplifies it. The Jets are a talent-free franchise, but good lord Sanchez is bad.

  9. #4409
    Moderator Pendulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Treno
    Posts
    12,631
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Speaking of terrible stuff, last night was the first time I have really watched a good portion of a MNF game all year. I didn't have tv for most of the season and didn't watch a good chunk of the last couple with sound on. Good lord is the announcing unbearable. John Gruden is just the worst. Someone needs to give that guy some downers or something. Listening to him being so enamored with everything and everyone is fucking awful.
    Don't ever watch college football then. The stupidity of the commentators makes my brain hurt. My friend and I when we watched Bama games would just commentate ourselves, and we seriously did it better than they did.

    General Off-topic/Fun Stuff/Diablo 3/Sports & Fitness mod(rules)------KUPO --------Sig by Elyssia------- Say hello to a world of marigolds

  10. #4410
    Fluffy Kitten conscript's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Jonesville, Michigan
    Posts
    10,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Don't ever watch college football then. The stupidity of the commentators makes my brain hurt. My friend and I when we watched Bama games would just commentate ourselves, and we seriously did it better than they did.
    Hey man, Gus Johnson does college games now. You have to watch just for his drunken excitement.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-20 at 03:54 PM ----------

    Steelers signed Plaxico Burress and Brian Hoyer today. Why Plaxico wasn't on a team yet baffles me. There is no way he isn't better than somebody on at least 75% of teams in the NFL.

  11. #4411
    I am Murloc! Irony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Halifax, NS.
    Posts
    5,818
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post

    [/COLOR]Steelers signed Plaxico Burress and Brian Hoyer today. Why Plaxico wasn't on a team yet baffles me. There is no way he isn't better than somebody on at least 75% of teams in the NFL.
    The Bills were in talks to be signing him, but we didn't, because the thought of giving Fitzpatrick a 6 ft 6 WR to throw to in the end zone, was just silly. Don't worry though, we'll continue to develop ones that run the wrong routes, get pushed out too easily and drop crucial passes.

    Baffled it took this long for someone to sign him, so many teams with shit WRs.

    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

  12. #4412
    Herald of the Titans Vetali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Washington, Land of Rain
    Posts
    2,804
    Wow, Ed Reed won his appeal for the suspension.

  13. #4413
    Pandaren Monk
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    1,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    No. See, this is the Matt Flynn disease. We see spurts of him pretending to run the ball throughout the season, but everyone's getting hyped up over one game. Kaepernick has mobility, but guess who also does? Alex Smith. He didn't do anything in that game that Smith wouldn't have done. Bears just played a bad game. Guess what? That happens. And I don't seen why everyone was hyping up Jason Campbell before the game. He may have had prior experience, but notice nobody's knocking down the doors to get him as a starter. Because he's not a starter.

    Oh, and as far as Tony Romo goes. They already have Kyle Orton. I think there's a reason Orton hasn't seen any playing time this year. Cowboys fans get over it, and deal with the fact you need to draft six offensive line next year.
    Jerry Jones owns the Cowboys... what we need to do and what we actually end up doing are rarely the same.

  14. #4414
    Herald of the Titans Vetali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Washington, Land of Rain
    Posts
    2,804

  15. #4415
    I am Murloc! Irony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Halifax, NS.
    Posts
    5,818
    Suspected to be drug related.

    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

  16. #4416
    Herald of the Titans Vetali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Washington, Land of Rain
    Posts
    2,804
    Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    Suspected to be drug related.
    I wouldn't be surprised...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bPwunS2FeE&t=9m30s

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-20 at 03:53 PM ----------

    Yep.

    https://twitter.com/Curtis_Crabtree/...35511060168704

    Hes not appealing it.

  17. #4417
    Fluffy Kitten conscript's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Jonesville, Michigan
    Posts
    10,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    That video proved one thing to me. Sherman is fucking awesome. Also, how did I not know these videos existed? They are fantastic. As for guy, definately seems like it is drug/PED related for it to be that long.

    Ed Reed winning his appeal doesn't really surprise me. He didn't do a damn thing wrong in any of the hits the league claimed were headshots. The receiver changed level as he was going to hit him and contact with the helmet was made. It happens all the time. Penalize in the heat of the moment, but a fine or suspension was stupid. Not a single one of those is a headhunting hit the NFL wanted to get out of the game.

  18. #4418
    Mechagnome Elbren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Maryland (US)
    Posts
    505
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Ed Reed winning his appeal doesn't really surprise me. He didn't do a damn thing wrong in any of the hits the league claimed were headshots. The receiver changed level as he was going to hit him and contact with the helmet was made. It happens all the time. Penalize in the heat of the moment, but a fine or suspension was stupid. Not a single one of those is a headhunting hit the NFL wanted to get out of the game.
    I think people are missing the point with the Ed Reed suspension.

    This wasn't because they thought Ed was purposely trying to lay the guy out. Ed has shown over the past couple of years that he either cannot or will not tackle anymore. He does what far too many guys in the league do now-a-days; he puts his head down, balls up and basically just hopes for the best. The only time he even puts his arms out anymore is when a guy is already by him and he takes a half-hearted swipe at them. Sadly, we live in a day and age where 'tackling' is considered a 4 letter word. It's either hit a guy up high around the shoulders/head or go low around his knee's. For some reason, the other 70% of the body inbetween those two areas is just off limits. And the idea of wrapping a guy up and dragging him down is just blasphemy.

    I think the point the league is trying to make is that accidental helmet-to-helmet is still helmet-to-helmet and there's no reason to be hitting a guy up that high. I think they're even showing that they're willing to be lenient depending on the the severity of the incident seeing as how they barely waited a day to reduce Ed's suspension to just a fine. You can't drop the hammer on a guy like James Harrison, but let someone else off because he's 'more likable' or said, "Oops, my bad."


    If I'm the Ravens, I'm more concerned by the fact that Reed seems be showing little/no strength out on the field. Even when he puts a "big hit" on somebody, they either get right back up almost immediately or don't even go down at all. He had a hit a couple of weeks ago (wanna say it was the Cleveland game) where he put his head down and ran head-on, full steam into a guy ... and bounced off. Didn't even change the guys direction or slow his momentum. It's getting hard to watch him week in and week out.
    Elbren (Paladin) - Priam (Warlock) - Pompeymagnus (Hunter) - Rahab (Shaman) - Ithillian (Druid) - Licinius (Mage) - Romulus (Warrior)

  19. #4419
    Moderator Pendulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Treno
    Posts
    12,631
    The thing with Ed Reed had nothing to do with malicious intent. He got three penalties for head-to-head contact, which equal a suspension. That's it. But I heard this argument, and it made sense: What about the offensive player? What if they're purposely lowering their head so it collides with the defensive player? It's kind of like how quarterbacks will use that bullshit thing where they pretend they're running out of bounds so the defender will back off, then they cut in back in bounds and keep running. It's bull.

    General Off-topic/Fun Stuff/Diablo 3/Sports & Fitness mod(rules)------KUPO --------Sig by Elyssia------- Say hello to a world of marigolds

  20. #4420
    If you saw the hit in question, Reed was already in motion to make the hit when the receiver turned up field. When he did so, he saw Reed and ducked. If he doesn't duck, the head contact never happens. If that is always a flag, 100% of the time, then how long is it before people are coaching receivers to duck to draw the penalty. Assuming they aren't doing so already. It's a stupid flag to throw in game. If you want to review hits and suspend people, that's fine. In this case, I'm glad Reed won.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •