10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neazy View Post
    If it's not about sex she has even less of a case. I find it hard to believe that a "victim" could walk through a place with neutral observers like a hotel lobby and not alert anyone that she is being held against her will.
    I'd rather not turn this thread into one of these debates when there is very little information to start with.

Why post stuff like that in the first place if you don't want to talk about it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neazy View Post
    Why post stuff like that in the first place if you don't want to talk about it?
    There's a difference between bringing something like that up that could potentially have implications on whether Crabtree (a starter) dresses for a game or is distracted during said game and trying to blame a potential victim when not only do you not have the relevant facts to make that decision but having very little to no facts at all. This really isn't the thread to discuss the societal implication of rape allegations and their propensity to be abused by the fairer sex.

That said I don't think this affects SF enough for them to lose a game. Atlanta has been very weak against the run this year and what Seattle lacked in a beefy offensive line to push their guys around the field SF has in spades. Barring a few big plays by Atlanta on the offensive end (which SF has proven to be particularly adept at stopping) I don't even think this game will be that competitive.

Also regarding Alex Smith to Arizona. The real issue there is that Alex Smith had a great running back and decent receiving threats for years. The link that caused him to become a passable (no pun intended) QB was the development of a top tier offensive line in SF. And the situation in Arizona on that front is a Chicago-esque debacle. I don't see him (or any other non-mobile) QB being particularly effective there.
    Last edited by TheFNK; 2013-01-19 at 07:37 PM.

- from Grantland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFNK View Post
    There's a difference between bringing something like that up that could potentially have implications on whether Crabtree (a starter) dresses for a game or is distracted during said game and trying to blame a potential victim when not only do you not have the relevant facts to make that decision but having very little to no facts at all. This really isn't the thread to discuss the societal implication of rape allegations and their propensity to be abused by the fairer sex.

That said I don't think this affects SF enough for them to lose a game. Atlanta has been very weak against the run this year and what Seattle lacked in a beefy offensive line to push their guys around the field SF has in spades. Barring a few big plays by Atlanta on the offensive end (which SF has proven to be particularly adept at stopping) I don't even think this game will be that competitive.

Also regarding Alex Smith to Arizona. The real issue there is that Alex Smith had a great running back and decent receiving threats for years. The link that caused him to become a passable (no pun intended) QB was the development of a top tier offensive line in SF. And the situation in Arizona on that front is a Chicago-esque debacle. I don't see him (or any other non-mobile) QB being particularly effective there.
    This.

Related the the Arizona QB situation, Bruce Arians is really hinting to drafting a QB. He said he wants a QB with "grit". Though, I don't really know of many QBs in this class where I could say they have this characteristic. I'm not a Barkley believer at all.

I don't see how it's any different than discussing the Te'o scandal in the NCAA thread. Yeah, the word "rape" brings up more emotions than "fake dead girlfriend", but I feel like my point was pretty rational and well-constructed despite obviously being influenced by my feelings about the situation. Also, you can't say "we don't have enough information to make a decision". In cases like this I doubt there would ever be more evidence than is currently available unless someone was in the room with them videotaping their interaction. Circumstantial evidence is all you usually ever have to go on.

The only mobile QB available would be Vick and I don't see the Cards taking a risk on him. Vick's one hit away from his career being over at this point, and you said it yourself: their O-line sucks. I still see Smith choosing AZ if it's up to him because they're the best option available. Although the Jets would be a good fit if Rex didn't have a love affair with Sanchez.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    This.

Related the the Arizona QB situation, Bruce Arians is really hinting to drafting a QB. He said he wants a QB with "grit". Though, I don't really know of many QBs in this class where I could say they have this characteristic. I'm not a Barkley believer at all.
    Well, if "grit" means toughness, cross Tyler Wilson off that list. Seems Geno Smith is the projected top QB pick, but I don't think that's what he's going for. Ugh, this QB draft is terrible. You know it's bad when Ryan Nassib and Mike Glennon are in the top 5. Who are they, you ask? Exactly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Well, if "grit" means toughness, cross Tyler Wilson off that list. Seems Geno Smith is the projected top QB pick, but I don't think that's what he's going for. Ugh, this QB draft is terrible. You know it's bad when Ryan Nassib and Mike Glennon are in the top 5. Who are they, you ask? Exactly.
    Last I heard Geno Smith isn't going to the senior bowl.

But yeah, terrible draft class for QB. I need to start looking up DE draft prospects. That will be Seattles first round pick again.

So tomorrow is the games and I feel like I need to make some definitive picks.

Seems pretty clear that at first glance New England and San Fran should be the favorites. Of course thats not always how it turns out in the NFL with 1 game and your done schedules. I dont want to play it completely safe by just playing the favorites so I will go with

New England vs Atlanta in the Super Bowl.

One way to rationalize Atlanta is they beat Seattle and Seattle blew out San Francisco. Another way is to say I feel Atlanta learned from some of the mistakes they made against Wilson and will be in better shape to correct them against Kaepernick, who I dont think can play nearly as well as he did vs Green Bay. That was rediculous. The Atlanta rush defense and running game showed up last week which is promising, if they make an appearance against SF as well they have a really good chance.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibjabb View Post
    One way to rationalize Atlanta is they beat Seattle and Seattle blew out San Francisco. Another way is to say I feel Atlanta learned from some of the mistakes they made against Wilson and will be in better shape to correct them against Kaepernick, who I dont think can play nearly as well as he did vs Green Bay. That was rediculous. The Atlanta rush defense and running game showed up last week which is promising, if they make an appearance against SF as well they have a really good chance.
    Totally agree with everything you said. I'm gonna bank on them not doing it though because I hate everything Georgia except the aquarium. Atlanta earned some respect from me after last week.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibjabb View Post
    One way to rationalize Atlanta is they beat Seattle and Seattle blew out San Francisco.
    Kind of a pet peeve of mine but I don't believe in the transitive property of football. Seen it proved wrong too many times to put any faith in it. Too many factors at play to make ultra-simplistic comparisons like that. That said I'll reply to the delicious meaty part of your post.

Another way is to say I feel Atlanta learned from some of the mistakes they made against Wilson and will be in better shape to correct them against Kaepernick, who I dont think can play nearly as well as he did vs Green Bay.
    I actually think of this as a trap. While Kaepernick and Wilson certainly share some similarities I think the more apt comparison is to Cam Newton. Seeing as how Atlanta played them twice this year it also gives us a look at how Atlanta's defense has reacted to that style of play. Cam ran for 202 yards on 18 carries against Atlanta. That repeating itself would be a nightmare for Atlanta in this game as not only does SF have a much better line up front than Carolina did. But also has better across the board receiving threats (Steve Smith is an obvious exception here). If they allow Colin to get 10+ yards per carry and have to load up the box to stop him they will get eaten alive on the occasions that they do decide to pass.

Interesting fact I stole from the internet: Falcons were 1 of only 2 teams (Colts the other) to enter the postseason allowing more yards per play on defense (6.0) than they gained on offense (5.8)

The Atlanta rush defense and running game showed up last week which is promising, if they make an appearance against SF as well they have a really good chance.
    That they certainly did. I hope they show up again this week. I don't have anything riding on this game and would love a repeat of last weeks thrilling game in the Georgia Dome.

Bonus Content: Thought this was cute http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/i...-950x10000.jpg
    Last edited by TheFNK; 2013-01-19 at 11:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess I'll make my obvious picks. San Francisco and New England in the Super Bowl. Oh well. Could have been an exciting year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kind of a pet peeve of mine but I don't believe in the transitive property of football. Seen it proved wrong too many times to put any faith in it. Too many factors at play to make ultra-simplistic comparisons like that. That said I'll reply to the delicious meaty part of your post.
    It works in college, not the NFL so much though.

One thing though, Atlanta got kinda torn up at the TE position with Wilson running pistol formation (I think, I haven't had the balls to re watch the game all the way). Don't sleep on Gore either. Obviously Lynch's injury hindered him, and I consider Gore just as good if not better than Lynch.

Not to resurrect the Crabtree stuff, but when are these players going to learn? They've got the money and fame to make themselves huge targets for people trying to take advantage (not saying that's what happened in this situation necessarily.) Why not use that money to have a lawyer draw up some papers to present to every chick they try to sleep with? "I was a consenting partner in the dirty deeds I performed with so-and-so. Signed _____" Sure, it'll throw off some of the chicks, but are those the chicks that were going to get him in trouble?

As for the picks, I'm going with the Ravens over the Pats in a squeaker, just because I like the Ravens, and I like picking the Upset.

9er's over Falcons. I know at least ONE Harbaugh will be coaching in the Superbowl, I'm a little hesitant to pick both. Oh well, I'm excited to see what happens either way.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't mind seeing a Bird vs Bird Superbowl. I'm tired of seeing the same 3 teams that the AFC bring to the table every year in Pats,Colts,Steelers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the same 3 teams that the AFC bring to the table every year in Pats,Colts,Steelers.
    To be fair, the Ravens, counting this year, have been in three of the past five. They just never win it, like the Eagles.

So, I guess what we've learned is, birds are weak and never win.

Its really only the AFC that is boring and predictable. The NFC frequently puts in new teams year in and year out.

Falcons vs 49ers
    49ers vs Giants
    Packers vs Bears
    Saints vs Vikings
    Cardinals vs Eagles
    Packers vs Giants
    Bears vs Saints
    Seahawks vs Panthers
    Eagles vs Falcons

The most any team is listed there is twice. If you go a little further you will start seeing a lot of Eagles teams that kept making it and losing.

---------- Post added 2013-01-20 at 07:16 AM ----------

To be fair, the Ravens, counting this year, have been in three of the past five. They just never win it, like the Eagles.

So, I guess what we've learned is, birds are weak and never win.
    I want a bird super bowl!

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been backing Ravens/Falcons since about week 3, despite my grudge against Baltimore, I still think it'll be the best match setup.

As for the AFC, there's been 3 Colts appearances, 3 Ravens (not including today's game), 2 Jets, 2 Raiders. You won't see the last two turn up again any time soon, but Indianapolis is on the turn around, and Baltimore's anyone's guess after Lewis retires.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I should have said in the last decade look at the AFC teams that's been there 5 times pats 3 times steelers, 2 times colts. On the NFC side in the last 10 years only the Giants have been there twice.

I guess I'll make my obvious picks. San Francisco and New England in the Super Bowl. Oh well. Could have been an exciting year.
    It *was* an exciting year, even if it does come down to those 2 teams, which it hasn't yet, I don't see how that makes the rest of the season not exciting, there was a lot of interesting games and plays we've never seen before this year, and I think it leaves something to really look forward to next year. As a Pats fan, I completely understand why people are sick of us, as for the other 3 teams, I have absolutely no clue what all the moaning and groaning is about...49ers haven't been superbowl-bound since '95 which is not recent at all, the Falcons last appearance was a '99 loss, and the Ravens won in '01 but nothing since.

Either way, while every team has it's own strengths, you need a complete team to be a true playoff contender, and there were many teams that made the playoffs that were not complete and only got there because of a few talented players which is just not enough. The post-season is about good football, and I don't see how it makes the rest of the season lame. Three rookie quarterbacks, plus a QB from the niners that never started before this year, made it to the playoffs. Adrian Peterson had IMHO the greatest season an RB has ever had. If all you care about is the post-season and who makes it to the superbowl that particular year, you're doing it wrong. If my Pats lose today, and they very well could, I'm not going to say how much this season sucked, I have next year to look forward to, I'll pick one of the two teams left I want to win the SB, and I'll move on. If we can't make it to the superbowl we don't deserve to be there.