Amendola had a 3% drop rate last year - should make NE fans hopeful. He's a solid slot guy when he's healthy, and I can only see him improving a lot under Brady.

I have nothing against Amendola. I didn't watch him because he's on the Rams but I've heard over the past 2 years that he's "the next Wes Welker" from some blogs. But the fact that the Pats gave him the same amount of money as they could have gotten Welker for is dumb.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Amendola's injury last year was a pretty freak thing with the shoulder iirc. He is a decent add, but wasn't Edleman supposed to be Welker-lite and fill that role? Weird.
    After reading up on that injury (and other things) I'm slightly less worried now. And yes, Edleman was allready projected to be Welker's replacement early last season, but seeing as how Welker was doing his regular thing soon enough and Edleman wasn't signed I'm going to assume that the Pat's weren't convinced he would be able to get the job done well enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Neazy View Post
    I have nothing against Amendola. I didn't watch him because he's on the Rams but I've heard over the past 2 years that he's "the next Wes Welker" from some blogs. But the fact that the Pats gave him the same amount of money as they could have gotten Welker for is dumb.
    If you pay attention they say that about literally every single white wide receiver that is halfway decent. So I give no credence to it

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Amendola's injury last year was a pretty freak thing with the shoulder iirc. He is a decent add, but wasn't Edleman supposed to be Welker-lite and fill that role? Weird. As a total Manning homer, I am stoked for him to add Welker. Stoked.

And Reggie Bush is a fucking Lion!!! Bush+LeShoure is going to be the backfield Best+LeShoure was going to be but probably better. Psyched. Still no secondary...
    they went to welker 50% less than normal, they went 1-2

they went to welker like they have for years, they went 11-2

patriots can't win like they have been without welker. if welker was taller, blacker or more of a prima donna, he'd probably be considererd a top WR of all time because his stats the past few years are one of a kind. there has never been a better slot WR. guys who run 4.3s are great, but they aren't open unless someone is willing to do all the dirty work like welker has

amendola isn't even remotely on his level. he has health problems. pats run is over

Deleted
    I think the Patriots were worried about Welkers health, he has taken a lot of hits through his time in New England, eventually he will get injured. It's the nature of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by MC ALPACA FLAYME View Post
    Amendola had a 3% drop rate last year - should make NE fans hopeful. He's a solid slot guy when he's healthy, and I can only see him improving a lot under Brady.
    he caught about 60% of his targets

for comparison, welker has caught 68% 2 times for his "worst" 2 years

never under 70% the rest of the time

---------- Post added 2013-03-13 at 07:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    I think the Patriots were worried about Welkers health, he has taken a lot of hits through his time in New England, eventually he will get injured. It's the nature of the game.
    so they replace him with a guy who has missed 22 games, played in 42
    brilliant
    run is over

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    After reading up on that injury (and other things) I'm slightly less worried now. And yes, Edleman was allready projected to be Welker's replacement early last season, but seeing as how Welker was doing his regular thing soon enough and Edleman wasn't signed I'm going to assume that the Pat's weren't convinced he would be able to get the job done well enough.
    Shit didn't even realize Edelman was a free agent. Ya fuck him, Ams is a way better pickup. He is a way better receiver and Edelman is at best a replaceable return man. Wasn't Ams injury essentially a backwards shoulder separation last year? Instead of separating out, the collar bone or humorous, I forget, jammed inward and nearly cut off circulation to an artery? I feel like that is what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Jibjabb View Post
    If you pay attention they say that about literally every single white wide receiver that is halfway decent. So I give no credence to it
    Austin Collie, Julian Edelman, Eric Decker, Danny Ams, Jordy Nelson to an extent although he is more of a deep threat, Jordan Shipley would be if he wasn't awful, Ryan Swopes will be this year when he is drafted, we used to hope Mike Mother Fuckin Furrey would be that type in Detroit but that last only one year. So ya every white receiver.

15+ Year Old Account
    Praying that playing with Brady and Gronknandez elevates his effectiveness, and that he can stay healthy.
    Seems like hernandez and gronk are hurt every other week. With amendola I can imagine them doing the receiver carousel the packers did last year.

pats fans don't understand football at all. the TE are so effective because of welker. he forces you to cover your zone underneath, without him, even with amendola, LB can drop back and close the window on that seam route that gronk has made a living on. you couldn't drop because then it's an easy and guaranteed first down underneath. MOST nfl WR are scared to go across the middle, amendola is NOT that kind of WR, he's NEVER been "like wes", he's more like edelman except that edelman hasn't missed 1/3 of his career

if they don't have someone who can hold those LB to their spots, it means more blitzes, fewer open seam routes and a lot more L

10+ Year Old Account
    this is just pure ego, they think they can bring somebody else in and make him Welker, I like Amendola but they are still signing somebody for more money that's worse than somebody they already had

and the Seahawks just landed Avril, and at way less money than I thought he was gonna cost

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    this is just pure ego, they think they can bring somebody else in and make him Welker, I like Amendola but they are still signing somebody for more money that's worse than somebody they already had

and the Seahawks just landed Avril, and at way less money than I thought he was gonna cost
    Geez that seems so unnecessary. I never saw their D-Line especially the ends as a weakness and they add another one of the better ends in the league to the mix.

10+ Year Old Account
    Welp, Pats signed Amendola as a Welker replacement. They're paying him 6M a year at least it seems (which they wouldn't for Welker). Pretty stupid from what I know, guy has been unable to stay healthy consistently. Praying that playing with Brady and Gronknandez elevates his effectiveness, and that he can stay healthy.
    Well, sounds like their original plan. Amendola was the only receiver besides Fitzgerald and Vernon Davis that scared me in the division.

---------- Post added 2013-03-13 at 07:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jibjabb View Post
    Geez that seems so unnecessary. I never saw their D-Line especially the ends as a weakness and they add another one of the better ends in the league to the mix.
    Well to break it down:

Bruce Irvin was good at a first because Jason Jones was healthy. His numbers declined when Jason Jones started missing practices. Bruce Irvin took very few snaps. Only on huge pass rush plays. Red Bryant took a low number of snaps because of injury. Brandon Mebane was healthy most of the year. Chris Clemons has a torn ACL. Our standard pass rush is Jones, Mebane, Bryant, Clemons in order. Mebane sitting when Irvin was out and Jones taking Mebanes place (later on Bryant was sitting cause of injury).

Jason Jones went to Detroit. Replacing Chris Clemons is vital because he runs a LEO position and is on like 95% of the defensive snaps wreaking havoc every snap.

Rodgers-Cromartie to Denver. And the rich get richer.

Quote Originally Posted by Neazy View Post
    Rodgers-Cromartie to Denver. And the rich get richer.
    Hopefully ... I mean, PHI is where good corners go to die, so hopefully he gets rejuvenated.

John Elway is pretty much smoking people with his Free Agency abilities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eagles replaced Asomugha with ... Cary Williams. lol

Why'd they cut Asomugha again?

Also, saids like Steven Jackson is now a Falcon.
    Elbren (Paladin) - Priam (Warlock) - Pompeymagnus (Hunter) - Rahab (Shaman) - Ithillian (Druid) - Licinius (Mage) - Romulus (Warrior)

10+ Year Old Account
    You mean Atlanta can now misuse an even better running back than Michael Turner? Amazing.

The good NFC teams seem to keep getting better and better. The AFC appears to get worse and worse (outside of Denver)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elbren View Post
    Why'd they cut Asomugha again?
    $16 million

dream team

etc.

hey the Saints signed a corner, here's hoping for not being the worst defense in the history of the league next year

also, people seem to like to talk about how Steven Jackson is an upgrade over Turner because he's younger, yea, by 1 year, he's still gonna be 30 at the start of the season, and he has about a thousand more touches than Turner over the course of their careers, I don't expect much difference aside from Jackson being a much better receiver
    Last edited by draynay; 2013-03-14 at 09:23 PM.

Yeah he doesn't seem like that big of an upgrade.