10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elbren View Post
    Dumervil is officially a Raven; 5 years, $ 35 Mil. with $8.5 Mil. in year 1.

I'd have to think the Ravens would be switching to a 4-3 with the addition of Dumervil. We already have Suggs and Upshaw as OLB's.
    Hmm, good question. Might just be different packages and looks, maybe? Although you don't pay a guy 8.5M to not be on the field 3 downs, or at least mostly.

Gratz for getting him though. Kinda hoped the Pats would make a bid for him, but apparently the Ravens made him feel more wanted. Guess that's where those shrewd business dealings come to bite NE in the rear, in deals like this and Welker's where players pretty much choose a place where they feel wanted over a place where they might earn a tad more but are expendable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Hmm, good question. Might just be different packages and looks, maybe? Although you don't pay a guy 8.5M to not be on the field 3 downs, or at least mostly.

Gratz for getting him though. Kinda hoped the Pats would make a bid for him, but apparently the Ravens made him feel more wanted. Guess that's where those shrewd business dealings come to bite NE in the rear, in deals like this and Welker's where players pretty much choose a place where they feel wanted over a place where they might earn a tad more but are expendable.
    It's the reason they let Kruger walk. With all of the attention that Kruger got in the playoffs, people tend to forget that Upshaw was the one who started and got most of the playing time in those games.

EDIT: Just read on another board that Dumervil's cap hit for year 1 is $2.5 Mil. O.o If that's true, that leaves plenty of cap space to add another starter through FA. Hopefully, a safety.
    Elbren (Paladin) - Priam (Warlock) - Pompeymagnus (Hunter) - Rahab (Shaman) - Ithillian (Druid) - Licinius (Mage) - Romulus (Warrior)

Dumervil is officially a Raven; 5 years, $ 35 Mil. with $8.5 Mil. in year 1.

I'd have to think the Ravens would be switching to a 4-3 with the addition of Dumervil. We already have Suggs and Upshaw as OLB's.
    I'm surprised they added him when other guys were being dropped, but I think it's a great move. They clearly regard him as an asset going forward, and I'd wager that they're right. I'm generally disinclined to wager against Ozzie Newsome, he's awfully shrewd.

I don't know enough about the Ravens to have a great idea of what they'll run, but my gut says that they'll be doing hybrid looks. Dumervil can certainly rush off the edge from a 3-4 or a 4-3.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I'm surprised they added him when other guys were being dropped, but I think it's a great move. They clearly regard him as an asset going forward, and I'd wager that they're right. I'm generally disinclined to wager against Ozzie Newsome, he's awfully shrewd.

I don't know enough about the Ravens to have a great idea of what they'll run, but my gut says that they'll be doing hybrid looks. Dumervil can certainly rush off the edge from a 3-4 or a 4-3.
    That's been a topic of discussion in Baltimore since his name came up.

While the cap had something to do with it, the going theory atm is that they were/are clearing house of the more vocal players on the team. Not only did they not extend a contract offer to Ed Reed, but they ate $2.5 Mil. in dead money in order to cut Pollard. A guy who is in his prime, who was the team player rep. and who has no one on the roster to replace him.

That is now Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Anquan Boldin and Benard Pollard, four of the biggest veteran voices in that locker room and basically the guys behind the "near mutiny" late last year, all gone.

Again, cap space has something to do with it ... but something to remember is that, while they're all gone, this team could have easily cut MLB Jameel McClain (Very subpar year last year) or FB Vonta Leach (only on the fiend about 30% of the snaps last year) and saved $4 Mil. each.
    Elbren (Paladin) - Priam (Warlock) - Pompeymagnus (Hunter) - Rahab (Shaman) - Ithillian (Druid) - Licinius (Mage) - Romulus (Warrior)

That's a great point regarding McClain and Leach, it does seem to drive home that this isn't a purely cap situation. Again, Newsome is one sharp cat, and I suspect that he's a sharp enough cat to spin moves that are at least a bit about the locker as being purely about the cap. This is going to be quite a bit different makeup of team going forward than what it was in 2012, so it makes sense to start piecing together the new form sooner rather than later, I think. Hard to argue against a 29 year old edge rusher that's averaged 10.5 sacks a season being part of that - one of the dirty secrets (well, I suppose it's not a secret for Ravens fans) has been that outside of Suggs, the Ravens pass rush hasn't been great the last few years. Kruger was nice, but very situational.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Osi Umenyiora about to sign with the Falcons
    Jermichael Finley stays/signs with Packers with a 3 million bonus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Surprised they're holding on to Finley for that much. Didn't he just recently have some issues? Like talking trash about not getting the ball or something? plus, he's been hurt a lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    DT Anthony Adams makes a "big announcement". lol

Great stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    DT Anthony Adams makes a "big announcement". lol

Great stuff.
    Ha, guy has a sense of humour about it at least. Bet his retirement got more attention then some other semi-unknown veterans.

He comes on Chicago radio sometimes. Hes always been a very funny outgoing guy that knows he isnt the best football player. So I'm willing to bet if he wants a job in the media in Chicago he will have that opportunity

10+ Year Old Account
    Notre Dame had their Pro Day and Manti Te'o improved on his stock a bit.

Improved his 40 time's to 4.71 and 4.75. He also did bench rep's this time around; something he didn't do at the Combine. He did 21 reps of 225 lbs. Decent, but not great.

10+ Year Old Account
    Te'o really could only go up, at least things went a bit better here, depending on need he could still be a first rounder, might be early second, most teams probably assumed he would do better on the pro day and projected accordingly so I doubt anybody really changed their minds about his value

10+ Year Old Account
    Notre Dame had their Pro Day and Manti Te'o improved on his stock a bit.

Improved his 40 time's to 4.71 and 4.75. He also did bench rep's this time around; something he didn't do at the Combine. He did 21 reps of 225 lbs. Decent, but not great.
    Tellin ya, Bosworth 2.0

Just this time people expect him to be a bust.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Te'o really could only go up, at least things went a bit better here, depending on need he could still be a first rounder, might be early second, most teams probably assumed he would do better on the pro day and projected accordingly so I doubt anybody really changed their minds about his value
    I don't think it really mattered how he did at the pro day his position doesn't really rely on a 40 yard dash speeds anyways. He might have helped his chances but I think he will go to the Vikings in the first round.
    Last edited by Skarsguard; 2013-03-26 at 11:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    I think he's a bit of a Tebow. Lots of media attention, lots of character, but ultimately lacking a bit in measureables. Difference is that he can probably lead a defense and be covered on his shortcomings, where Tebow in his position can't. I don't think he'll be a bust, but I'm having reservations if he can be a 3 down linebacker. Though I guess you can argue that a first round pick should be just that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really see him being a bust for any particular reason, the 40 time for his position is not the biggest deal, at least he demonstrated adequate speed, I remember Brandon Spikes ran a 5 sec flat 40 and he has been a pretty good pro with the Patriots when he's been healthy, and Te'o has more going for him than Spikes did so at worst he should be a solid pro as long as he stays healthy, and most teams are happy to get solid pros with leadership abilities in the late first or early second

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really see him being a bust for any particular reason, the 40 time for his position is not the biggest deal, at least he demonstrated adequate speed, I remember Brandon Spikes ran a 5 sec flat 40 and he has been a pretty good pro with the Patriots when he's been healthy, and Te'o has more going for him than Spikes did so at worst he should be a solid pro as long as he stays healthy, and most teams are happy to get solid pros with leadership abilities in the late first or early second
    Yeah that's what I was saying I don't think 40 time really matters now the bench press might matter but I know the 40 time doesn't. The thing that helped really was that he showed that he wanted to get better and that probably makes some head offices take some notice. I think he would be good for the Vikings they also have like 4 people on the team that went to ND and he played with some of them (IIRC).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Tellin ya, Bosworth 2.0

I don't count Bosworth as a bust. It was due to injury, not his on the field play. I'm glad Seahawks finally got some swagger they lost with Bosworth, in Sherman. Did you see his local car ad yet? The Shermy looks like a pallbearer.

Would Te'o been in the Heisman finals if not for his at the time tragic story? I really don't think so. He is still slower than any linebacker taken in first round in a while and seems small for his position. I think the projections of a first round are wrong. No media heavy market will touch him. I don't think he will be a bust, because I think he falls out of top 3 rounds. As a fourth round guy, he should do fine.

---------- Post added 2013-03-27 at 02:44 AM ----------

Spikes was the last pick of second round and I don't see Te'o as a leader or much upside. Although, end of second to early third would be a reach in my view, I think his play can justify those rounds. I just don't think he will justify it.

---------- Post added 2013-03-27 at 02:47 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Skarsguard View Post
    Yeah that's what I was saying I don't think 40 time really matters now the bench press might matter but I know the 40 time doesn't. The thing that helped really was that he showed that he wanted to get better and that probably makes some head offices take some notice. I think he would be good for the Vikings they also have like 4 people on the team that went to ND and he played with some of them (IIRC).
    I don't think most draft mock ups accounted for Al David's death (RIP). A faster 40, isn't going to get you as far, without raiders taking fastest players, regardless of skill.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    I think he's a bit of a Tebow. Lots of media attention, lots of character, but ultimately lacking a bit in measureables. Difference is that he can probably lead a defense and be covered on his shortcomings, where Tebow in his position can't. I don't think he'll be a bust, but I'm having reservations if he can be a 3 down linebacker. Though I guess you can argue that a first round pick should be just that.
    Hmm, well before the whole catfish crap he was a pretty high prospect in media and in my eyes. After seeing their defense just get walked over in the BCS game I didn't see myself saying "wow this team is terrible, but number 5 is a good player." I can do that with a lot of bad teams, but I just didn't see the hype previously. It just seemed like he didn't do well under pressure. The difference from his pro day times and combine times show that honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    I don't count Bosworth as a bust. It was due to injury, not his on the field play. I'm glad Seahawks finally got some swagger they lost with Bosworth, in Sherman. Did you see his local car ad yet? The Shermy looks like a pallbearer.

Would Te'o been in the Heisman finals if not for his at the time tragic story? I really don't think so. He is still slower than any linebacker taken in first round in a while and seems small for his position. I think the projections of a first round are wrong. No media heavy market will touch him. I don't think he will be a bust, because I think he falls out of top 3 rounds. As a fourth round guy, he should do fine.
    I give Bosworth a lot of crap because of the hype. I'm sure if he played now days he could get a surgery and be good to play. Modern sports medicine has changed so much from back then.

Anyway, yeah. I think thats the thing I like most about this team aside from the intimidating presence they have (go watch the 49ers@seahawks game to really see that). It isn't just Sherman though. It really is everybody. I haven't seen the car ad though.

I haven't looked at linebackers that much, or really anybody in this draft. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes in the bottom of the first or early second round.

10+ Year Old Account
    - Chargers release LT Jared Gaither. Gaither is only 27, is an above avg. LT and the Chargers will be eating $6 Mil. in dead money to let him go. That should tell you all you need to know about him. Doesn't shock me that we're (once again) hearing stories about team mates feeling like he quit on them. It's a shame; the guy is crazy-good when he actually feels like playing.

- DT Shaun Rogers has reportedly had close to $500k in jewelry stolen from his hotel room. He told police he brought a woman back to his hotel room around 7am (nope, not a typo) and "fell asleep". When he woke up, she was gone and he couldn't get into his room safe. When security pried it open, the safe was empty. Reported missing were $100k in diamond earrings, $160K in watches, $60k in bracelets, a necklace and pendant worth $50k and another necklace/pendant worth $70k.

- Pat's TE Gronkowski confirms he's had a 3rd surgery on his injured left arm.