10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    The best fits and the best chance to win now teams are the Jets, 49ers, and Ravens not necessarily in that order. The Ravens seem set on Flacco or at least aren't being mentioned at all in the Manning talk. The 49ers would be unstoppable with Manning and a receiving threat or two. Imagine if they signed Vincent Jackson and Manning. Jackson, Crabtree, and Davis with Gore being phenomenal as a receiver out of the back field. They would be insane. They wouldn't have to compensate on offense for the shortcomings of Alex Smith, who played damn good last year. They are phenomenal on defense. They have the coaching staff solidified for the first time since Mariucci. Good weather, bad division. So good.
    I don't know why, but I could actually see Ozzie pulling this off.

The Ravens are built to Win Now and, while they seem like they want Flacco long-term, they haven't exactly done alot to help endear him to the team. It's truly mind-boggling that they won't get rid of Cameron despite the unproductiveness of his offense and the fact that Flacco openly doesn't like working with him. It's to the point where Flacco has already said that he's 'indifferent' on staying in Baltimore. In a recent interview, when asked about the Ravens cap situation in regards to him getting a long term deal, Flacco basically said, "Their cap problem is not my problem." With the team in Win-Now mode and Flacco still having one year left before he becomes an UFA, I could see the team signing Peyton and trading Flacco for picks. They'd get an instant upgrade at QB, multiple picks to help address current needs and Flacco gets what he wants (being away from Cameron).
    Elbren (Paladin) - Priam (Warlock) - Pompeymagnus (Hunter) - Rahab (Shaman) - Ithillian (Druid) - Licinius (Mage) - Romulus (Warrior)

15+ Year Old Account
    Wow the Colts just keep blowing it up. They cut Manning, lost Wayne and Garcon to free agency, are looking to trade Freeney and today cut Melvin Bullit, Curtis Painter, Gary Brackett, Joesph Addai, and Dallas Clark! That team is going to be completely different next year. The only real significant holdover left from the Manning era is Jeff Saturday. The Colts are going to be remarkably bad next year. Just wow. They have absolutely no one at any skill positions right now going into the draft. Their top receiver is Austin Collie (I assume he is still around). They have no RB, no significant TE, etc. Just wow.

---------- Post added 2012-03-09 at 06:14 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Elbren View Post
    I don't know why, but I could actually see Ozzie pulling this off.

The Ravens are built to Win Now and, while they seem like they want Flacco long-term, they haven't exactly done alot to help endear him to the team. It's truly mind-boggling that they won't get rid of Cameron despite the unproductiveness of his offense and the fact that Flacco openly doesn't like working with him. It's to the point where Flacco has already said that he's 'indifferent' on staying in Baltimore. In a recent interview, when asked about the Ravens cap situation in regards to him getting a long term deal, Flacco basically said, "Their cap problem is not my problem." With the team in Win-Now mode and Flacco still having one year left before he becomes an UFA, I could see the team signing Peyton and trading Flacco for picks. They'd get an instant upgrade at QB, multiple picks to help address current needs and Flacco gets what he wants (being away from Cameron).
    I think the Ravens could really use a leader like Manning on offense. Someone that will say right back into the mic "Cam what the heck are you doing calling that play, you moron?" He would then promptly ignore every call coming into his helmet for the rest of the season and run the offense the way he wants to and it would be far better than Cam has ever done.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    Yeah 49'ers would be the dream place for Payton to go for a number of reason's.
    1.Bad division they can just coast into the playoffs with Manning at helm.
    2.Weather yeah he won't be in a dome as much but the weather is awesome.
    3.O-Line there o-line is great.
    4.Defense 49'ers D was great last year and should be good again this coming up year.
    5.Coach Jim.H is a really good coach and I think he will have a ring or two before hes finished with the NFL.

The really only downside I can find is being on the west coast having to travel to the east coast for games usually west coast teams don't do to well traveling to the east coast.
    As a Niner's fan myself, I have some doubts about Peyton joining SF. Don't get me wrong, I would really like to have that kind of a throwing arm with our offense, granted we don't have an explosive passing game just yet. But with Reggie Wayne being Manning's shadow in the draft, he will join him wherever he goes and if those 2 join up with the offensive weapons we have right now (Gore, Walker, Davis, Crabtree, Ginn, Hunter) we'll be a force to be reckoned with.

But looking at the big picture, drafting Peyton would also be taking a big risk because of his injury. If I were a D lineman, I'd be damn well sure that my priority would be to take Manning out of the picture, no doubt about it. How many millions do you think Peyton would want to sign a contract? Alot more than what any team who wants him is paying their QB that's for sure. And if he get's injured then what? You pay him all that money for nothing. Which brings me back to my point; If the Niners do sign Peyton, not only are they taking the huge money sink on Peyton but they'll most likely lose Alex Smith as well. I'm willing to bet anyone here that if Peyton Manning does get signed with the Niners that there is no way in hell Alex Smith will settle for being 2nd string, not after what he has accomplished last season.

In my opinion as a Niner faithful, I'm willing to take my chances with Alex Smith for the 2012 season again because I personally think he will only get better with J. Harbaugh's guidance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow the Colts just keep blowing it up. They cut Manning, lost Wayne and Garcon to free agency, are looking to trade Freeney and today cut Melvin Bullit, Curtis Painter, Gary Brackett, Joesph Addai, and Dallas Clark! That team is going to be completely different next year. The only real significant holdover left from the Manning era is Jeff Saturday. The Colts are going to be remarkably bad next year. Just wow. They have absolutely no one at any skill positions right now going into the draft. Their top receiver is Austin Collie (I assume he is still around). They have no RB, no significant TE, etc. Just wow.
    I know they're having cap problems, but whats the point of cutting Clark? Who is Luck supposed to throw to? O.o Are you really going to find someone in free agency as sure-handed as Clark? And if you do, do you really think he'd be cheaper? I guess you could trade for someone, but that would just cost you more picks/talent. It just seems like Clark is the one guy you'd want to keep.

NFL.com Link

Three Broncos players suspended for PED's. LB D.J. Willams and DT Ryan McBean suspended 6 games without pay and TE Virgil Green suspended 4 games without pay. While Williams didn't technically 'fail' his drug test, the league has informed him that he provided a 'non-human specimen'. Looks like he's taking the Ryan Braun "My pee was handled inproperly" defense.
    Elbren (Paladin) - Priam (Warlock) - Pompeymagnus (Hunter) - Rahab (Shaman) - Ithillian (Druid) - Licinius (Mage) - Romulus (Warrior)

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...cks-is-needed/

Madden thinks the NFL needs to adopt a rule for the QB like the punter/kicker as soon as the ball has left there hand there off limits. I don't know about this one I know Madden has no say but people still listen to him but how would you all feel if this happened.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's a fair call, I mean obviously the split second after where a defender is committed to a tackle as the QB's passed off the ball isn't something you can or should stop, but the people who clearly go in for the hit after the ball has been thrown and hit at a vulnerable spot need to be called into line.

A kicker's outstretched leg is no different to a QB's outstretched arm in that regard.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kinda reminds me when the Bucs gutted themselves a few years ago http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3933807

And you see where they are now...

10+ Year Old Account
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...cks-is-needed/

Madden thinks the NFL needs to adopt a rule for the QB like the punter/kicker as soon as the ball has left there hand there off limits. I don't know about this one I know Madden has no say but people still listen to him but how would you all feel if this happened.
    I don't really agree in a way. Yeah, something needs to be done about late hits but only if its pretty clear. I don't think bumping into the QB because the defender still has that momentum is a fair penalty.

Its a fine line, and it can cause some very BS calls.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quarterbacks are protected well enough. Leave it be.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/76...-st-louis-rams

Source Redskins get 2nd pick from Rams for 3 first round picks and a 2nd wow that's nuts but that tells you how much a future QB is worth.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/76...-st-louis-rams

Source Redskins get 2nd pick from Rams for 3 first round picks and a 2nd wow that's nuts but that tells you how much a future QB is worth.
    lol And Cleveland almost got that deal done. Their fan base should buy a full page ad in the Washington Post to write a Thank You letter to Dan Snyder.

That's definitely alot to move up in 1st round, but I actually thought they'd get 1 or 2 more mid/lower round picks.

15+ Year Old Account
    Wow that deal blows away the Eli Manning package everyone was expecting the Rams to get with that pick. In 2004, the Giants essentially traded two firsts a third and a fifth to move up from 5th to 1st to get Manning instead of Rivers. Three firsts is fucking insane for anything besides a absolutely sure thing like Luck more or less is. Intrigued to see what they do in free agency now because they need to add a whole hell of a lot of pieces through that channel from now on since they don't have a first rounder until 2015.

I'm glad the Browns didn't do this. I like RG3, but the Browns are a way, way more incomplete team than the Redskins at this point. Adding in a potential franchise QB isn't going to get that terrible team functioning overnight. The Redskins could at least be pretty good if they add some good free agents at skill positions to support RG3. The Browns would have been horrible regardless because there isn't a free agent in the league that wants to play in Cleveland. Seriously, when was the last time a big name free agent signed in Cleveland in ANY sport?

---------- Post added 2012-03-10 at 12:09 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    So ya, I guess they really are out of the Peyton Manning derby like was reported earlier. Hi-lari-ous to sign one of the worst QBs in the NFL to that kind of extension. Sixth or seventh worst starting QB in the NFL making the sixth or seventh most money. New York baby.

---------- Post added 2012-03-10 at 12:14 AM ----------

I love that in all this news about Manning, Mario Williams is completely ignored. He could have a massive impact on a defense next year. He is one of the best end rushers in the game.
    Last edited by conscript; 2012-03-10 at 05:10 AM.

I'm happy that the Manning Madness took a stop in Denver.

As far as Williams is concerned, I totally agree. He's one of the best defensive players in the league, and he can play two positions. Even with Manning out of the picture, this free agency is loaded.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dallas needs to pick up Mario Williams him and Ware would be crazy. I told you conscript he probably wasn't going to the jets I just didn't see Manning going to a cold weather place I don't see him going to Denver either but with that easier schedule I could see him there over the Jets.

I posted this in the other thread, but ultimately I think it comes down to which team he thinks he's going to win the most with. Which team, entering the season, has the best chance of making the superbowl with him? If Houston gets interested (they should), then my money is on him going there. If not, then I think it's a tossup between the Chiefs and Broncos. Dolphins have a great offensive supporting cast, but in the same division as Brady (with a far superior team at his reigns) doesn't give him the best chance to succeed.

10+ Year Old Account
    These are the things I think it comes down to in no order
    How good the team is and if they have a shot of winning.
    If its a team that plays in warm weather or a lot of domes.
    Offensive scheme/Coaching.
    Division hes probably not wanting to play the Steelers/Ravens 4 times a year.

I really think it comes down to 49ers,Texans, and Miami If I was him I would go to Texans or 49ers but that's just me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never really as a Bears fan been more excited about the Free agency as I am this. Emry have made a really good impression on me. Perhaps we get Vicent Jackson, or some other goodie. We need a WR1# it's now or the draft, gonna be fun to see which one Bears pick and who. Cutty needs it.*
    Anyway I still belive that Manning gonna pick Miami.*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    I'm pretty sure Joe Flacco and his agent just called the Ravens and said, "See that deal? Yeah, he blows. I want more than that."

EDIT: Wow, just realized Sanchez still had 2 years left on his previous contract. What in the world was the point of giving him this deal?
    Last edited by Elbren; 2012-03-10 at 02:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elbren View Post
    I'm pretty sure Joe Flacco and his agent just called the Ravens and said, "See that deal? Yeah, he blows. I want more than that."

EDIT: Wow, just realized Sanchez still had 2 years left on his previous contract. What in the world was the point of giving him this deal?
    I don't know if you made me guess I guess I would say to boost his moral going into next season. I would have to say thou that this has been one of the worst sports contracts iv seen since the Giants signed Barry Zito for a billion dollars.