Quote Originally Posted by Neazy View Post
    No way. That's Rex's BOY. He's never letting that one go. They're not leaving the Jets unless it's together.
    That's another reason why it's sometimes good to clean house: you aren't emotionally or politically attached to past decisions and can undo them. But I do think the Jets will try to replace Sanchez.

---------- Post added 2012-12-31 at 10:14 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    When someone says that with a straight face, you know their franchise is in rough, rough shape.
    To be fair, Alex Smith is a good enough QB to win a Super Bowl. If the rest of your team is elite.

Heck, even Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl.

10+ Year Old Account
    what colossal moron would trade for Sanchez and his $8mil guaranteed? there was only one guy who thought that was a good idea and he just got fired

with the success of rookie QBs in recent years I would imagine the bottom rung teams will be focusing on draft evaluations and projections before they go throwing money at veterans, and all the guys who signed 1-year deals will be back on the market, and of course the best QB in the league Joe Flacco will be a free agent, so there will be a lot of options at QB, maybe not good options, but options

and the Chargers had half their home games blacked out, but they're just stringing San Diego along as usual, I'm sure they're no more serious about relocating than usual

Quote Originally Posted by ptwonline View Post
    That's another reason why it's sometimes good to clean house: you aren't emotionally or politically attached to past decisions and can undo them. But I do think the Jets will try to replace Sanchez.
    If they weren't gonna give Tebow a shot over Sanchez I dunno who they could actually get who would make a start. The list of QBs potentially better than Sanchez who would be available is:

1) Alex Smith
    2) Tebow

Number 1 on that list sure as hell aint going to the Jets and we all know what happened with number 2. I could see them drafting a QB, though.

I told you guys a bit back that Lovie Smith is one of the coaches that will probably get fired. Theres a reason he is this isnt some knee jerk reaction. They have made the playoffs once in the last 6 years... unacceptable. But heres whats the real killer. In all of the 9 seasons Lovie Smith has been the head coach you know what the highest ranked offense theyve had?

15th. THATS THE HIGHEST. Thats fuckin pathetic. Hes a defensive coach but there comes a point where you need to be held accountable for both sides of the ball when you are the damn head coach. Look at Bill Billicek, was a defensive wizard now is an offensive mastermind. He helps in BOTH aspects of the ball. We need someone who knows a rats ass about the offensive side, so we can stop this offensive coordination cycle each year. It starts with getting a head coach that knows what hes doing. Lovie Smith is also stubborn to adapt in midgame situations on defense and too often plays his bend dont break style which leads to teams dinking and dunking all the way to the endzone. Hes not a terrible head coach but he needed to go. I watch all their games, trust meh.

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I'm thinking the Bears got rid of Lovie because of his failures against the Packers and overall poor divisional performance, but I don't agree with the firing
    Yes thats also part of it. He came into his press conference the very 1st day saying his #1 goal each year is to beat the Green Bay Packers. His record against them since Aaron Rodgers became the QB in 2008? An amazing 2-9. This includes a loss that wouldve vaulted them to the Super Bowl.
    Last edited by Jibjabb; 2012-12-31 at 10:43 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibjabb View Post
    I told you guys a bit back that Lovie Smith is one of the coaches that will probably get fired. Theres a reason he is this isnt some knee jerk reaction. They have made the playoffs once in the last 6 years... unacceptable.
    Yeah, I don't know why people are surprised. Every Bears game I watched this season would, at some point, mention he was on the outs with the team's owner and might end up fired if they miss the playoffs again.

10+ Year Old Account
    How bout them Broncos. That is all

Quote Originally Posted by postpunk27 View Post
    How bout them Broncos. That is all
    I'm excited too, but 11 straight games against a schedule of only 2 playoff teams isn't too much to be ecstatic about. If my Broncos can win in the playoffs I'll be happy.

If they weren't gonna give Tebow a shot over Sanchez I dunno who they could actually get who would make a start. The list of QBs potentially better than Sanchez who would be available is:

1) Alex Smith
    2) Tebow

Number 1 on that list sure as hell aint going to the Jets and we all know what happened with number 2. I could see them drafting a QB, though.
    They aren't going to to Tebow. The reason why they waited to replace Sanchez this year is because they had to do it when Tebow was hurt so that they could go to their #3. Tebow simply cannot play QB in the NFL. He's not even close.

Young QBs in the past 2 seasons have done remarkably well. The Jets may not be shy to draft and start a rookie. But if not there are serviceable QBs who will be free agents, like Matt Moore and maybe even Flacco if they are willing to spend a bit. You also wonder if someone will give Matt Flynn a shot.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know what you mean by "cannot play QB in the NFL" since he has played QB and he played a lot better than a number of players this year

he was in the perfect environment, a good defensive team that would keep games close, a traditional pocket-passer starter who was completely inept, it should have been season 2 of the Tebow show, but they blew it and let Sanchez's contract drag them down and out

the Seahawks didn't worry about which QB was getting paid more, neither did the 49ers, although thanks to Harbaugh nobody is going to be reporting concussion symptoms

10+ Year Old Account
    It very well could be Manning vs Luck, which might make the planet explode I think.. and not looking too far ahead, but a possible match up with the Patriots could be in the offing for the conference championship. I've felt like our schedule was a little weak also, but 11 wins is 11 wins. Pretty darned impressive any way you look at it. We are rolling, and we haven't hit our ceiling yet, IMHO. The only disadvantage to having a bye week is it sort of slows momentum for us. It's good to get the guys healthy, but that extra week off could disrupt the rhythm that the team has established. The super bowl comes through Denver, at least for the AFC, so it's really set up for us to make a serious run. Here's hoping we do just that

Quote Originally Posted by ptwonline View Post
    They aren't going to to Tebow. The reason why they waited to replace Sanchez this year is because they had to do it when Tebow was hurt so that they could go to their #3. Tebow simply cannot play QB in the NFL. He's not even close.

Young QBs in the past 2 seasons have done remarkably well. The Jets may not be shy to draft and start a rookie. But if not there are serviceable QBs who will be free agents, like Matt Moore and maybe even Flacco if they are willing to spend a bit. You also wonder if someone will give Matt Flynn a shot.
    I know they won't give Tebow a shot (not like Tebow would even want to go back to the Jets anyway if it was up to him). But Tebow's on a short list of available players who could consistently outperform Sanchez. The other journeyman QBs aren't worth it. What happens when they inevitably fail? You go back to Sanchez? You can't keep changing QBs like that or you end up like the Cardinals under Whisenhunt.

Flacco aint going to NY either. He's gonna want to be the clear-cut starter wherever he goes, and Ryan likes Sanchez too much to commit to someone else.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Lovie Smith should not have gotten fired. The Bears missed the playoffs because a lot of things went wrong at the same time as a lot of players started getting cold, not because of one person. He's gonna get re-hired somewhere else instantly.

Rex Ryan deserves to stay. People forget that he took the Jets to 2 AFC championship games in a row just 2 years ago. He should get a couple more years to work with this team.

Ken Whisenhunt is gone, and as I said a couple pages ago, he deserves it. He fucked up the QB situation back in 2010 by shipping off Matt Leinart for no good reason and declaring Derek Fucking Anderson as the starter (who has, in the last 2 years since leaving AZ, thrown 4 passes total). Since then, the Cards have been shit. Hope Lovie Smith agrees to coach them.

Andy Reid... nothing needs to be said about that. Good coach, was just time for him to leave.

Norv Turner actually got fired. No commentary needed.
    Agree about Andy Reid. He's still a good coach. While all that FA money they spent last year didn't work out,, at least Philly gave it their best effort to put a good team on the field for their fans. All in. Unlike some teams that just dont give a shit year after year.

I would love to see him go to Oakland and build that team from top to bottom. He just seems like a raider to me.(dont know why).
    Last edited by kunah; 2013-01-01 at 04:43 AM.
    Operation Red Wing

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Okay finally catching up on the firings. Whisenhunt sorta surprises me. Honestly if you are going to rank on his QB situation then you have to rank on Rex Ryan's who i thought would be gone too. Lovie Smith surprised me even more.

Jason Garret... surprises me as well. I wonder what happened to the rumors of Holmgren going to Dallas. Must of been false or Jerry Jones would of made that move... or so one would logically think.
    This is Jerry Jones we're talking about...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    According to team sources, the San Diego coaching and GM hirings "will be made with a move to LA in mind." If the San Diego voters don't approve a measure to give Dean Spanos corporate welfare, they will likely be the LA team. I hate this country so much some times.
    There's the early rumours of Gruden moving to the Chargers. That would honestly be the kick in the nuts for me while out on the ground after this season.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fengore View Post
    There's the early rumours of Gruden moving to the Chargers. That would honestly be the kick in the nuts for me while out on the ground after this season.
    Gruden would make sense, but then again his name is attached to literally every opening at the pro and college level for the last couple seasons. I hope he goes back to coaching. I can't take anymore of him on ESPN and Monday Night Football.

---------- Post added 2013-01-01 at 08:20 AM ----------

If Denver wins the Super Bowl, Trindon Holliday will be the first player to ever go 19-0 in a season. He started the year with the Texans going 5-0 and is 11-0 as a Bronco.

10+ Year Old Account
    Jerry Angelo gone: Check
    Lovie Smith gone: Check

Time for a new era...

Qoute from Bears message board:" One thing i think is lost on WHY Lovie got fired is that its not about what he did THIS year, its about the mediocrity this team has had for years now. If Lovie were a new coach, then sure...starting 7-1 and finishing 10-6 and *barely* missing the playoffs, combined with what our defense has done this year would be enough to keep his job.

Unfortunately, its been a track record of 7-9 or 9-7 seasons, where we HAVE talent, but are still "close" to being something better. Mediocrity will only take you so far, and this was it for Lovie. Sure, injuries played some part, but EVERYONE has to deal with injuries and good coaches can overcome them, either through solid drafts/FAs, and/or proper game planning. When you have musical chairs at OC and OL, that flat out tells you that your ship is rudderless."
    Last edited by Rivenda; 2013-01-01 at 02:23 PM.
    Oderint dum metuat.
    Success is dependent on effort.

10+ Year Old Account
    49ers signed Billy Cundiff.

uhhh... I mean, I'm okay with this.

10+ Year Old Account
    If he shanks another kick, then I am going to have to kill two kickers in the same year...
    VanCleef wants you! Join the Defias Brotherhood and hang out on a yacht all day!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbyjawz View Post
    If he shanks another kick, then I am going to have to kill two kickers in the same year...
    As a Ravens fan, I'm still mad about that kick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    Oh would you now? It truly is amazing how many heroic people we have wasting their time on internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am a Niners fan first, and a Ravens fan second, last year was a year of rage for me.
    VanCleef wants you! Join the Defias Brotherhood and hang out on a yacht all day!