The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Seahawks traded John Moffitt for Browns' Brian Sanford.
    A 3rd round pick getting traded for a guy who spent the first 7 weeks of last year on the practice squad and has 5 career tackles and 0 sacks? Yeah I think it's safe to say Seattle missed with that pick.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like Von Miller is going to be suspended for the first 6 games, not 4 like we thought.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    A 3rd round pick getting traded for a guy who spent the first 7 weeks of last year on the practice squad and has 5 career tackles and 0 sacks? Yeah I think it's safe to say Seattle missed with that pick.
    https://twitter.com/hawkblogger/stat...84386473082882

Our O-line depth is pretty strong right now, and considering that the rumor is that we'll trim to 8 O-line roster to have a 5 back setup kinda makes that have some sense. Our D-line is riddled with injuries and a suspension and is by far our weakest element.

He probably wont make the 53m roster, but neither would of Moffitt.

I disagree, I'd say the Broncos are scary bad on the D side now. Gave Dumervil up in the offseason, Derek Wolfe will probably miss a few games, Champ Bailey has a high ankle sprain, and now Von Miller. They have a high powered offense, but what if Welker also has to miss a game or two?
    They're not too bad. Keep in mind that despite that play, Rahim Moore is a top 10 safety. Chris Harris is also a top ten cornerback, and Wesley Woodyard is probably a top 10 OLB. There's no shortage of talent on defense. Yeah Seattle put up 40, but it's a preseason game and with four turnovers, and let's face it - even with Welker missing a game or two teams still have to deal with a WR duo that put up 2,499 yards and 23 touchdowns. Most teams will be playing catch-up.

I also suspect a good pickup. Denver's front office knows what it's doing, and it's an attractive place to be considering their loaded roster and (projected) upward trend.

Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    Looks like Von Miller is going to be suspended for the first 6 games, not 4 like we thought.
    I'm continually amazed that PEDs in the NFL are mostly met with a shrug. Personally, I don't really care about PEDs, but it's weird that Ryan Braun and A-Rod become public enemies #1 and #1A, but when it comes to NFL guys, almost everyone just says, "so, when are they back again?".

- - - Updated - - -

8 O-line roster to have a 5 back setup kinda makes that have some sense
    That setup doesn't make sense to me. Can you elaborate a bit for someone not that familiar with the Seattle depth chart? I don't really get the point of 5 backs, and 8 seems like cutting it really shallow on the line. I like their personnel (Lynch, Ware, Turbin, Michael, and Robinson, right?), but I don't really get why 5 backs are needed unless they're going to run an inordinate number of two-back sets. Did I miss something?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    They're not too bad. Keep in mind that despite that play, Rahim Moore is a top 10 safety. Chris Harris is also a top ten cornerback, and Wesley Woodyard is probably a top 10 OLB. There's no shortage of talent on defense. Yeah Seattle put up 40, but it's a preseason game and with four turnovers, and let's face it - even with Welker missing a game or two teams still have to deal with a WR duo that put up 2,499 yards and 23 touchdowns. Most teams will be playing catch-up.

I also suspect a good pickup. Denver's front office knows what it's doing, and it's an attractive place to be considering their loaded roster and (projected) upward trend.
    I should say, that Denver despite the losses are still a top team in the AFC. Probably the top, though I haven't been able to catch one ravens game.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    That setup doesn't make sense to me. Can you elaborate a bit for someone not that familiar with the Seattle depth chart? I don't really get the point of 5 backs, and 8 seems like cutting it really shallow on the line. I like their personnel (Lynch, Ware, Turbin, Michael, and Robinson, right?), but I don't really get why 5 backs are needed unless they're going to run an inordinate number of two-back sets. Did I miss something?
    Its simple, hang on to them because its way too risky to let any team have any of those backs without a serious trade. Ware is very impressive. I think I linked a blog a long time ago after drafting Christine Michael of the mistakes of John Schneider in GB with RBs. (PS That took me like 30 minutes to find. ENJOY.)

You've also got Tom Cable, the O line jesus coaching. He likes to have players on his line being able to swap positions and such aside from the L&R tackles and center (Okung, Unger and Breno).

Breno actually has had a really good camp, and I haven't seen him being completely destroyed yet like I usually do.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I'm continually amazed that PEDs in the NFL are mostly met with a shrug.
    So far the charges are for one instance of amphetamines (likely Adderall or some other ADHD meds) and and one instance of marijuana in 2011. AFAIK the issue is around the urine tests, which I'm not too surprised about considering their success rate and propensity to get totally fucked up (such as the guy who handled DJ Williams' last year being a dude who fucked up multiple tests in the past). I don't think that's as comparable to using HGH.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its simple, hang on to them because its way too risky to let any team have any of those backs without a serious trade. Ware is very impressive. I think I linked a blog a long time ago after drafting Christine Michael of the mistakes of John Schneider in GB with RBs. (PS That took me like 30 minutes to find. ENJOY.)

You've also got Tom Cable, the O line jesus coaching. He likes to have players on his line being able to swap positions and such aside from the L&R tackles and center (Okung, Unger and Breno).

Breno actually has had a really good camp, and I haven't seen him being completely destroyed yet like I usually do.
    That is one of the many things that SF and Seattle have in common, not passing on talents at the RB position, SF drafted James last year, and then got a project in Lattimore this year even with Hunter on the roster. Depth at the running back position when you have a beastly offensive line is one of the most dangerous things a NFL team can have, other teams would happily kill for San Fransisco or Seattle's offensive lines, because they are maulers at the point of attack.
    VanCleef wants you! Join the Defias Brotherhood and hang out on a yacht all day!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbyjawz View Post
    That is one of the many things that SF and Seattle have in common, not passing on talents at the RB position, SF drafted James last year, and then got a project in Lattimore this year even with Hunter on the roster. Depth at the running back position when you have a beastly offensive line is one of the most dangerous things a NFL team can have, other teams would happily kill for San Fransisco or Seattle's offensive lines, because they are maulers at the point of attack.
    Lattimore if he can get healthy and still play at a high level will be sick.

And heh, the Seattle O-line has been a 3 year project. Okung and Carpenter tore ACL's their rookie years. Carpenter has been out almost 2 years now, if he gets hurt again or under-performs this year it'll be our first draft bust. Thats why hes my number 1 guy to look at during training camp. If he can play, hes going to make the left side (Marshawn's favorite side) insanely strong. Okung is playing at a high level right now, but he ain't no Walter Jones like some think. J.R. Sweezy has been quite the project that looked like it blew up in our face initially, but I hear hes also having a great camp.

SF has the best O-line in football, especially run blocking. Frank Gore just eats it up.

I'm going to have that blog up when I'm drinking my coffee tomorrow morning, but this explanation makes a lot of sense to me. Depth is less of a problem if you have versatility.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    So far the charges are for one instance of amphetamines (likely Adderall or some other ADHD meds) and and one instance of marijuana in 2011. AFAIK the issue is around the urine tests, which I'm not too surprised about considering their success rate and propensity to get totally fucked up (such as the guy who handled DJ Williams' last year being a dude who fucked up multiple tests in the past). I don't think that's as comparable to using HGH.
    Unless I'm misinformed, tests aren't disclosed and everything we know about what players tested positive for is off their own word. So... yeah, Adderall. I'm sure it was Adderall...

- - - Updated - - -

If leagues gave a solitary shit about PEDs, biochip testing would more or less be the norm at this point. RNAseq work looking at transcript expression profiles is trivial to do and would nail players cold if they were cheating. As near as I can tell, leagues would mostly like plausible deniability. Again, I basically don't care about PEDs, but I just roll my eyes real hard at the idea that anyone else really does either.

15+ Year Old Account
    Is it just me, or does it seem like all AFC teams got considerably shittier (either via bad trades, injuries, retirements, etc)?
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxigen View Post
    Is it just me, or does it seem like all AFC teams got considerably shittier (either via bad trades, injuries, retirements, murder etc)?
    FTFY. The only team in the AFC I think got Championship level better is Denver. Kansas City is going to be better because of the massive upgrade at QB. Miami is better. Aside from that, I don't see another team that got appreciably better. San Diego is worse and the Raiders still suck. Ravens lost a ton of guys, Pittsburgh is a huge question mark, the Browns are better but still the Browns, and Cinncy did what they always do, nothing significant. New England is worse, the Jets are still starting Sanchez, Buffalo is probably better but that depends on Manuel. Indy upgraded at RB, Houston isn't appreciably better or worse, the Titans are better but still mediocre, and the Jags should be contracted.

So yeah, only a couple teams seem to have improved in the AFC and only one or two by a significant amount. Whereas the NFC you have: San Fran is better, Seattle would be better with a healthy Harvin and will be better anyways, Arizona massively upgraded their QB situation, St Louis has weapons to throw to maybe. Detroit added a huge backfield weapon, Chicago is better, Green Bay added a running attack possible, Minnesota added some more passing weapons. The entire East and South didn't do much but they didn't have to in some cases. New Orleans gets their coach back and hopefully an improved defense, Atlanta replaced Burner with Steven Jackson (upgrade). The NFC is the better league from top to bottom and is only getting better.

Speaking of Michael Turner, how the hell does he have one receiving TD in his career? With a QB as good as Matt Ryan (and Rivers before him) that seems insane, especially considering Turner was a horrible short yardage back. How did he play for like 8 years without catching a swing pass out of the backfield for a TD? I'm not sure if Jackson is going to slip into that mold thanks to the offensive system, as admittedly I don't watch much Falcon football, or if Jackson is going to blow it up in Atlanta this year since he is a pretty solid receiver.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was looking like the Saints' young receivers Stills & Toon were playing real well in the first two pre-season games and the management seemed to feel the same way since they just cut all the veterans they brought in to try out. Still surprises me that SD and NE aren't bringing in more WRs to fill all the gaping holes they have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    It was looking like the Saints' young receivers Stills & Toon were playing real well in the first two pre-season games and the management seemed to feel the same way since they just cut all the veterans they brought in to try out. Still surprises me that SD and NE aren't bringing in more WRs to fill all the gaping holes they have.
    NE is like the Saints in this case, with youngsters having stepped up decently enough to not have the need for crappy veterans. NE might still bomb in the passing attack with the new guys having growing pains, but this way has some upside in developing these players at least.

On the whole I cling to the fact that Tom Brady made people like Jabbar Gaffney look like decent WR's. He must be able to do something decent with these guys we have.

10+ Year Old Account
    maybe some of these guys will get signed in week 2 where their contracts won't be guaranteed for the season

and in unrelated news I thought it was legal to try and kill Incognito with his own helmet

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    NE is like the Saints in this case, with youngsters having stepped up decently enough to not have the need for crappy veterans. NE might still bomb in the passing attack with the new guys having growing pains, but this way has some upside in developing these players at least.

On the whole I cling to the fact that Tom Brady made people like Jabbar Gaffney look like decent WR's. He must be able to do something decent with these guys we have.
    Ya I don't think the Patriots even have to worry. Brady has looked otherworldly in the first two preseason games. First game against the Eagles first team defense he led the Pats on two 80 yard scoring drives finishing only 7 for 8 with a TD. This week he only went 11 for 12 with a TD. Brady is the best at making any receiver serviceable. Some dude on that roster is going to put up great receiving numbers this year and then disappear from the league if he leaves New England.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Ya I don't think the Patriots even have to worry. Brady has looked otherworldly in the first two preseason games. First game against the Eagles first team defense he led the Pats on two 80 yard scoring drives finishing only 7 for 8 with a TD. This week he only went 11 for 12 with a TD. Brady is the best at making any receiver serviceable. Some dude on that roster is going to put up great receiving numbers this year and then disappear from the league if he leaves New England.
    at the same time though, you give him good receivers and he throws 50 TDs, but being serviceable is probably enough to win that division

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    at the same time though, you give him good receivers and he throws 50 TDs, but being serviceable is probably enough to win that division
    Ya I would just once love to see what he could do with a real set of receivers who weren't going to go mental on him after a year. Imagine if Brady had one, ONE, receiver with him his entire career who was an All-Pro level guy. Manning had Harrison and then Wayne at least. Imagine what Brady could have pulled off with one of those guys.

15+ Year Old Account
    You really can't base anything off pre-season games.

I'm going to wait until the first three weeks are played to see how Brady / NE look.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxigen View Post
    You really can't base anything off pre-season games.

I'm going to wait until the first three weeks are played to see how Brady / NE look.
    Have to agree with this, I think, though I think Brady is going to be his usual awesome self....it's just whether or not there is going to be some dependable guys on the other end or not. While I will eat my own shorts if we don't make the playoffs ( a long ways away yet I know), I am a bit concerned if NE is the playoff worthy team we've been in recent years. Some younger players are going to need to step it up and work with the man or nothing good will happen.

15+ Year Old Account
    Long time NE fan here, concerned as well.

We'll just have to wait and see...I don't even watch pre-season.