Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagdar View Post
    He wan't to make an additionnal CD containing the ingame cinematics with additionnal cinematics in-between to complete the story.

IMO it would be great to see this, like a non official WoW movie.

PPL are just getting confused cuz they don't way to pay for in-game cinematics, which is not the point in this
    If you think about the issue being he wants to charge 20-30$ for the cinematics that are key part for lore nerds like myself. IT IS THE ISSUE!. I've beaten SC2, And I payed 60$ on relase night, I would have beaten a Wal-Mart employ with a baseball bat if they told me I had to pay another 20$ for the cinematics for the game. I'm not saying he is a bad CEO or downing his Ideas (Ok well maybe his Ideas I am). But he is going tooo far. He already doesn't produce good quality games if they don't have replay potential. Like making a 2nd one or an Expansion. Now he wants to sell us the Cinematics? To Far Sir To Far.

I see what Kotick is saying there. He's talking about removing the cinematic that came with Starcraft 2 and selling those separately as a single, long chunk. That's a terrible idea.

What's a great idea is what you can take away from that - selling an hour and a half of cinematic footage that you cannot get with the game, essentially as a cinematic movie. But cinematics are a key part of the gaming experience. The rest of the game would suffer tremendously without that story telling element. A reasonable solution would be to sell a 'small' version of Starcraft that doesn't include cinematic or single player mode, since there are many who play it for multiplayer only.

Please remember that Kotick has a lot of crazy ideas and cannot implement any of them without the approval of a board of directors, which includes Blizzard's president as well, so there's really no chance of him 'taking over,' because Activision-Blizzard is a publicly traded company, not a dictatorship with Kotick as tyrannical king.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's way worse things a CEO could do, really, especially considering the whole article was misread to begin with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayirasi View Post
    You're right. Blizzard shouldn't have temporarily banned you. They should have sent a couple employees to your residence to Jay and Silent Bob you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokvr1 View Post
    I saved a man's life today by performing brain surgery and removing a tumor the size of a quarter from his frontal lobes. God damnit I wish I wasn't ignorant though, cause I have no idea what an LSAT is. I don't know the radius of the Moon either.
    I took part in the LSAT/Cataclysm release date thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Without reading responses for people with common sense, he was actually talking about offering just the cinematics on a disc for purchase, not taking them out of the game. So a game like SC2 with alot of cinematics you could just purchase those for a smaller price. He is not talking about requiring you to buy the movies as well as the games.

i hate the idea, I always love cinematics in a game, especially the cinematics from blizzard... it just seems like some cheap trick to get more money from our wallets, but i personally will NEVER pay a damn cent for that. we're still on the internet here and it won't be hard to find the cinematics for free on some torrent site or even youtube

edit: ye it seems like i'm the 700th person here or so who also misread it >.<

Everyone is really hanging on the word "remove". He is not using it in the actual straight meaning of the word. He is using it in the same way some will use the word to mean "pull" or "copy"

"I was reading this book yesterday and I removed this really awesome quote, do you want to hear it?"

It does not mean the game will no longer have cinematics or story elements, even Kotick is not that stupid. He just wants to take the next step on something Blizzard has already been doing for years (Selling compilation DVDs for cinematics) and actually give them a viable narrative to make them watchable in a movie format.

Deleted
    Nah won't buy you have youtube right ?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginzha View Post
    i hate the idea, I always love cinematics in a game, especially the cinematics from blizzard... it just seems like some cheap trick to get more money from our wallets, but i personally will NEVER pay a damn cent for that. we're still on the internet here and it won't be hard to find the cinematics for free on some torrent site or even youtube

edit: ye it seems like i'm the 700th person here or so who also misread it >.<
    You're one of the many that didn't read the article, and/or didnt understand what the flop he was talking about.

If he wants to release those as an EXTRA CD/DVD/DL as a movie - without ripping anything from games. I dont care.
    The moment he rips something out of the game(s) or makes me lose "content" in favour of a DVD - any studio that goes with this will lose me as a customer. Oh Ill still gonna get their games, just not from store shelves but torrents and p2p.

Don't know if this is old, but there is already a blue post regarding the cinematics. Everyone will have them. Don't worry folks.

"We’d like to take a moment to clarify how we’ll be delivering World of Warcraft: Cataclysm cinematics to players who purchase the expansion digitally through Battle.net or download the installer from the web in the future.

Prior to the December 7 launch of Cataclysm, all current World of Warcraft players will receive the Cataclysm intro cinematic as part of an upcoming patch. In addition, all other in-game cinematics (including previous ones such as the Wrathgate movie) will be available for download to players who have not previously installed them. These cinematics will be automatically downloaded in the background while you play the game, after other critical game data has been received.

Bashiok"

Bout the cinematics compilation, it is a great idea.
    English is not my native language. Be patient and polite or else baby murlocs will cry.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Tinfoilhat ftw. How about you play one of the many "free" MM0s only to find that they actually screw you out of more money?
    Actually I did before I started playing WoW and I'm afraid it might turn into microtransaction-here-and-there beast. While we still pay our monthly fee of course.

Get your facts straight...if Kotik is as greedy as you think and you guys are as clever as you think, the LAST thing he will do is piss you off with a suicidal business decision. Because obviously ppl will just quit in droves when you have to pay for every little service, effectively killing the cow they are milking.
    Read what he will do/has done about Call of Duty series. Apparently he is upset that players buy their game and then they can play for months for "free". How to solve this? Yay, make way for payed access to servers! By doing that Kotick is testing the market, how much more money he can take without causing mass uproar.

And I repeat, we can vote with our wallets.

Reading comprehension is at an all time low if people really believe that Kotick is going to remove cinematics from games and resell them seperately. He's talking about leaving them in the game then reselling a copy as a "movie" for those who want to watch them that way. Kotick is a business man and he knows if he were to try the stunt some of you people believe he's trying to do he'd go out of business.

Quote Originally Posted by Legan View Post
    Don't know if this is old, but there is already a blue post regarding the cinematics. Everyone will have them. Don't worry folks.

"We’d like to take a moment to clarify how we’ll be delivering World of Warcraft: Cataclysm cinematics to players who purchase the expansion digitally through Battle.net or download the installer from the web in the future.

Prior to the December 7 launch of Cataclysm, all current World of Warcraft players will receive the Cataclysm intro cinematic as part of an upcoming patch. In addition, all other in-game cinematics (including previous ones such as the Wrathgate movie) will be available for download to players who have not previously installed them. These cinematics will be automatically downloaded in the background while you play the game, after other critical game data has been received.

Bashiok"

Bout the cinematics compilation, it is a great idea.
    Has nothing to do with this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapti View Post
    Has nothing to do with this thread.
    Really?

It seems that most of ppl here are very worried about the "removal" of the cinematics in-game for a "pay-more-to-view" system.

If u don't even see a purpose on a reply, don't bother answering it. Otherwise you will spend most of your time trolling internet forums.
    English is not my native language. Be patient and polite or else baby murlocs will cry.

10+ Year Old Account
    "take it out of the game" means taking the vids that are in-game and putting them in something outside the game. It's different than "remove it from the game"

ex: a quote is taken out of somebody else sentence

At first when I read it I was thinking to myself what a dick move. Now that I've had my nine AM coffee I think what he's trying to say is take all in-game scenes. (WotLK opening Cine, 3.1 Ulduar, so on so froth.) and make them into pre-rendered cut scenes and sell them like what Blizzard does with the packaged movie's they already do. So look at it this way, remember that in-game part in WC3:TFT where Arthas and Illidan are fighting? Now longer and looking good.
    WoW only has 10 million subscribers it must be dying! WoW sucks!
    I'm sorry no, clearly you didn't see Chuck Norris allowed 10 million to survive his Purge.

If I was him I'd do the same. Who wouldn't add something that costs ~10k $ to produce and earn it all back in less than an hour (read: TRH).
    I can understand that he do it and I would definitely do the same, but it is annoying though.

Obviously, it's not about the cinematics. What he wants to do is really just a choice. You definitely don't have to acquire it in order to get the full game experience.

Actually it has a lot to do with this thread, because it is about screaming how ppl buying the digital version get screwed, because the CEO of Activision wants to milk every last cent from you. And todays news section proves that (as with so many other claims)

-it is bullshit
    -even when it is proven that it is buffshit, doomsayers like to stick to their prejudices
    No, this thread is about Koticks idea to sell cinematics from games as stand alone product. Even the OP didnt read or understand the article he linked himself.

And yes, our wallets are very strong: Anyone remember REAL ID on Blizz forums drama?

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't like the person who wrote that article and I don't like anyone who listens to them, they have clearly taken what he said and twisted his words. He's basically talking about making a movie and selling it to us, this isn't 'in game cut scenes' he's going to make a FUCKING MOVIE on starcraft or wacraft and let us buy it. How is this bad in anyway?

HERP DERP WE NEED 1HOUR 30MIN CUT SCENES IN OUR GAMES FOR FREE!

EDIT
    And by 'take them out of the games' he means 1 of two things
    1. take all cut scenes FROM the games and then put them all together, depending on the cut scenes they'd probably make more in between the in game ones to add to the story he's NOT actually going to remove cut scenes that are in or would be in the game and make us buy them this is not a feature we get for free that he's trying to charge us for, this is an additional feature that we don't need to buy in anyway to enjoy the game

2.His words are taken out of context and by 'Out of the games' he just means creating cut scenes that are never intended to be in games, there fore removing them from games before they even reach them, again this wouldn't be cut scenes we need to complete in game story lines, just additional story lines for fun, or old story lines (I believe someone above me mentioned arthas vs illiden) remade to look amazing

Either way, this man should be applauded for an awesome idea that if he follows through with, I will greatly enjoy watching.
    Last edited by Anakso; 2010-11-02 at 04:03 PM.