Combat PvP in Cata

Im gonna level a new rogue with a friend when cata comes out.I´ll only do PvP with him and i think mainly bgs.So i made myself a nice sub pvp spec after that i looked at multilate and combat for an offspec and decided that i would give combat a try.

So my question is:Can combat be good at PvP and if yes what spec would you suggest?
    "In our world those who dont care about the rules are called trash but those who dont care about their friends are even worse than trash."

Quote Originally Posted by Cathras View Post
    Im gonna level a new rogue with a friend when cata comes out.I´ll only do PvP with him and i think mainly bgs.So i made myself a nice sub pvp spec after that i looked at multilate and combat for an offspec and decided that i would give combat a try.

So my question is:Can combat be good at PvP and if yes what spec would you suggest?
    Is combat pvp so unpopular that i wont even get an answer? ^^
    "In our world those who dont care about the rules are called trash but those who dont care about their friends are even worse than trash."

No, its just sub gives u SD, assa Vendetta, but as combat u get KSp which in least, is quite situational, and atm combat is even more penalized for switching targets then assa, plus combat mastery is by far the worst compared to other two masteries. Blade flurry wont make that much difference since it slows energy regeneration.
    Notice the puff of smoke? I have successfully casted Vanish, and I ask that you turn off your auto attack, set all pets to passive and pretend you don't see me for the next 3 seconds. Thanks for you cooperation!

Sinister strike as a combo point builder = Crap
    Killing spree with a dagger in mainhand (if u wanna avoid using sinister strike) = crap
    Imp. armor = Crap
    Imp recup. = Crap

I think or hope that the combat rogue will be able to play in pvp at some point, but as it is now i am pwning as sublety.

Combat is not an option at the moment.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Cathras View Post
    I'll answer your question, but in a way it will point out how badly the combat tree needs to be re-vamped IMVHO, and you probably will not like the answer.

As of right now, Combat has the least survivability out of the three trees. Deadened Nerves/new Cheat Death are both better than Reinforced Leather. Even Enveloping Shadows is better than Reinforced leather because of the increase time of Feint that it now has. Sub also has access to prep which gives you a second evasion, second vansih, second dismantle, and second smoke bomb. Combat no longer has two minute evasions, and they lost parry/riposte. They also lost Nerves of Steel. Assassination has deadened nerves which is a superior version of reinforced leather, and Master Poisoner also has reduced duration of poisons.

Combat's mobility I think is better than assassination because of Restless Blades reducing improved sprint below 60 seconds, but really poor shape compared to sub mobility. Combat does have blade twisting, but it is too unreliable, so you still have to use crippling on the off hand. Sub and assassination don't need to use crip in the off hand.

Combat's edge is revealing strike Kidney Shots, and Eviscerates. But Sub with master has better eviscerates, so the extending kidney shots is the only edge. Assassination has an easier time keeping up expose armor (all combo points refunded). So, even if you were to revealing strike expose armor, for combat it is not worth it.

Adrenaline Rush, Blade Furry, and Kspree help. But Blade furry in its current form isn't a good cool down to use on a single target anymore. :/ Kspree duration was increased because it lost the glyph, and only Restless Blades can possibly reduce it to the original glyph cool down timer. So the only cool down out of the three that improved was adrenaline rush, assuming you can stay on a target.

Improved gouge is nice, and very useful.

Improved Throwing specialization is mediocre given how many casts are instant now, and rogue throw, and deadly throw aren't. Bandit's Guile takes too long to build up stacks on a target so they fall off.

Without Restless Blades, combat PVP would be unplayable in my opinion.

Assassination damage is the best, while sub only has good damage out of stealth. But combat's damage can't compete with the other two trees. No armor pen talent, and no increased poison damage means combat doesn't hit hard enough. Its mastery Main Gauche requires you sit on a target for a long time to take advantage, and that you take combat potency to maximize its design.

Combat PVP, like its bro in PVE, is a mess, and it needs some love from the devs.
    Last edited by Mafic; 2010-11-04 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Added more thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    I'll answer your question, but in a way it will point out how badly the combat tree needs to be re-vamped IMVHO, and you probably will not like the answer.

As of right now, Combat has the least survivability out of the three trees. Deadened Nerves/new Cheat Death are both better than Reinforced Leather. Even Enveloping Shadows is better than Reinforced leather because of the increase time of Feint that it now has. Sub also has access to prep which gives you a second evasion, second vansih, second dismantle, and second smoke bomb. Combat no longer has two minute evasions, and they lost parry/riposte. They also lost Nerves of Steel. Assassination has deadened nerves which is a superior version of reinforced leather, and Master Poisoner also has reduced duration of poisons.

Combat's mobility I think is better than assassination because of Restless Blades reducing improved sprint below 60 seconds, but really poor shape compared to sub mobility. Combat does have blade twisting, but it is too unreliable, so you still have to use crippling on the off hand. Sub and assassination don't need to use crip in the off hand.

Combat's edge is revealing strike Kidney Shots, and Eviscerates. But Sub with master has better eviscerates, so the extending kidney shots is the only edge. Assassination has an easier time keeping up expose armor (all combo points refunded). So, even if you were to revealing strike expose armor, for combat it is not worth it.

Adrenaline Rush, Blade Furry, and Kspree help. But Blade furry in its current form isn't a good cool down to use on a single target anymore. :/ Kspree duration was increased because it lost the glyph, and only Restless Blades can possibly reduce it to the original glyph cool down timer. So the only cool down out of the three that improved was adrenaline rush, assuming you can stay on a target.

Improved gouge is nice, and very useful.

Improved Throwing specialization is mediocre given how many casts are instant now, and rogue throw, and deadly throw aren't. Bandit's Guile takes too long to build up stacks on a target so they fall off.

Without Restless Blades, combat PVP would be unplayable in my opinion.

Assassination damage is the best, while sub only has good damage out of stealth. But combat's damage can't compete with the other two trees. No armor pen talent, and no increased poison damage means combat doesn't hit hard enough. Its mastery Main Gauche requires you sit on a target for a long time to take advantage, and that you take combat potency to maximize its design.

Combat PVP, like its bro in PVE, is a mess, and it needs some love from the devs.
    You are wrong.I like your answer alot.You pointed out clearly that combat is not viable at the moment, so thanks
    Last edited by Cathras; 2010-11-04 at 03:22 PM.

With the recent increases to resilience and stamina it makes combat a poorer choice compared to sub or 'sins. 'Sins may have the worst mobility but with Deadened Nerves + Quickening + Improved Recuperate are more tankier than the swashbuckling tree, and will benefit the most out of the increased resilience and stamina changes. But since fights last longer sub's mobility will be very important now. Throw in that sub's mastery effects recuperate, and doesn't have any problem keeping recuperate up, as well as 'sins, and combat lags behind in recuperate usage due to poor CP generation. Restless Blades doesn't effect slice n dice, kidney shot, or recuperate, which are three of the best finishers for combat. >.>

In summary 'Sins have the most damage that bypasses armor, and are the most tanky. Their burst cool down Vendetta stays on a single target unlike Kspree, and can maintain slice n dice and expose easily. Sub has the most utility due to prep, but also can use recuperate aggressively, and have high uptime on a target to maximize slice n dice because of the best mobility, and also throw in some hard hitting eviscerates. Combat no longer is the best at any of these things except longer kidney shots. >.> Combat is a jack of trades, but master of none lol.

It is extremely rare to see an effective combat rogue in pvp. And even the word effective is so subjective that it demands large debate. Stick with mut and sub IMO. But there's no reason why you shouldn't ever use combat. Mess with it. Have fun with it. But you will likely find mut/sub are much better. When I pvp'd as comb in bgs it was so centered around CDs. If KS was on CD it was very hard to kill someone. I'm very inexperienced at arenas/bgs though.
    Armory link:
    Aceydubs

I enjoy combat a lot for random BG pvp.
    For anything serious though, you pretty much want prep.