Keep up dps while handling adds

This is going to sound like somewhat of a noob question, but I've only recently started to dabble into the fun world of being a moonkin. I've been resto for years, but 4.0.1 has been pretty fun playing a moonkin.

My question is, how do you guys keep up the dps on a fairly good scale, while handling adds and what not. Do you typically just dot up everything, or dot up the adds, then just focus on the boss, etc.?

Thanks in advance!

Deleted
    starfall?

Yes, I know of what types of AE spells to use, but in other cases where its not so much of a "round 'em all up and AE." Like where the adds tend to live longer?

Depends how fast the adds need to die. If they need to go down fast, like Valks, switch, nuke and stay on them til dead. If it's just to provide a little extra damage (like on ghouls/horrors if plague is being uncooperative), dot em up and switch back.

Ok, thanks. One of the first raids I was in as a boomkin, was a ToC the other day. On the Valks fight, I basically would nuke one in eclipse, and basically just switch back and forth, nuking each one while I was in eclipse.

Thanks for the insight, guys!

I think Twizzlers meant lich king valks

Yeah, I figured he was. I just tried to give an example of how I thought was a good way (was I doing it right?) of a situation where you have 2 bosses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well you should only be dpsing one valk at a time based on what color you have. :P

But basically what I do when starfall isn't up is get into an eclipse and run around spamming moonfire/sunfire. I use this for pretty much any add that I'm not going to go across the whole eclipse bar for because I can keep up 12/13k just spamming the dot.

Aerie Peak 90 / 90 / 90 / 90 / 90 / 90 / 86 / 90 / 90 Kel'Thuzad 90 Tichondrius 90 / 90

15+ Year Old Account
    The OP's question is kind of vague. Depending on the fight, you may or may not be DPSing adds. Killing bosses effectively is more important then e-peening meters. Sure, you can DoT up all three blood princes on BPC, but that's actually taking away from DPS time on the Prince that matters at the same time. Same with drudge ghouls and shambling horrors. DoTing up Valks is actually going to hurt your DPS time on the valk you're SUPPOSED to be on, giving it a greater chance of dropping someone off the edge.

As for the wonderful poster who suggested Starfall, they may want to re-read the tool tip. Starfall does not splash anymore, and does the same amount of damage if it hits 2 targets or 15 targets. Only 20 stars will fall. (Of course, it does more damage to two targets then 1, as it'll only hit a single target with 10 stars, but it's hardly an amazing "AoE"). Our AoE method now isn't really AoE, if you're actually doing trash packs you will find the best DPS DoTing up each target, and then and ONLY then (if you have time before the first DoTs start to wear off), you can throw in a hurricane.
    Sunfyre | @FoGSunfyre