15+ Year Old Account

Fury of Stormrage and a Suggestion

I'm new to playing druid. I'm only a level 44 and trying to get to 80 before Cata comes out. First I will start with my suggesstion.

One thing I would like to see on these forums would be a nice leveling (post 4.0) write up. I am personally instance/bg on weekends leveling as resto/kitty respectively but I really don't know where I should throw my points and when. Also have no clue on rotations/priorities, etc. I feel like as kitty I'm button mashing however resto is pretty easy at this level.

This leads me into my question about Fury of Stormrage. Why the F is this in the Resto tree?? It makes no sense. It's on the third tier so you can't even reach it if you are Balance. I cannot think of any reason I would cast wrath as resto. Can someone explain?

otherwise nobody would kill anybody. Fury of Stormrage allows healers to do a modicum of damage in pvp, and gives them something to do when everybody significantly overgears heroics.

Maybe they had to put something in the tree for people that lvl as resto ?

Blizzard wants to make healers tunnel vision less. This is a must have as resto in anything but raids since you SHOULD be dot'ing or wrathing instead of standing there while hots tick, but now wrath wont even cost mana =)

Deleted
    So would it be viable in a PVP Resto spec?

15+ Year Old Account
    Their whole design principal behind the talent tree redesign was to make talents fun and give and make people think about their choices. I see no fun in this or justifiable use. If you want it in the resto tree thats fine, but 3rd tier? for that? What makes it worse is it's a requirement to get Malfurion's Gift, which is a pretty good resto talent. Why those two are tied together I have no idea.

Like I said, I'm new to druid, but I think even as a PvP talent it's ridiculous. If I want to DPS in a BG or Arena I'd just moonfire, not do a castable spell that could be interrupted or counterspelled. As far as PvE, why are they making a 3rd tier 2 talent point option to help us not be bored if we are OP in a heroic?

There's no way I'm the first person to bring this us am I?

They put it in the third tier so that balance couldn't get it. The entire point behind their new talent system was to be able to give people cooler stuff at lower levels without having other specs get it (see AR/Prep rogue posts from BC for reference). If balance could get it, they'd have infinite mana, hence 2 instant points and not an interesting decision. Fury of Stormrage is interesting, because it gives resto druids some damage that doen't cost them mana while nothing's going on. Just because you don't find it interesting doesn't mean no one else does.

Also, it's not designed for us when we're OP in heroics. It's designed for healers to contribute to dps as well in raids. All healers have a new talent that does it (wrath is free for druids, shocks and lightning bolt give shaman mana back and reduce mana costs of heals, priests have archangel, and paladins have denounce) so it's not just some silly thing for druids alone, and it will have an impact in how cata raids are designed.

I really don't see why people question these talents. They are obviously geared toward PVP, or some random utility. There's been healing talents and talents causing instant cast spells in the feral tree for years. It's not hard to understand. It's not particularly required though (unless you MUST have the LB talent) so meh to the whole situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinizine View Post
    I really don't see why people question these talents. They are obviously geared toward PVP, or some random utility. There's been healing talents and talents causing instant cast spells in the feral tree for years. It's not hard to understand. It's not particularly required though (unless you MUST have the LB talent) so meh to the whole situation.
    No, I'd say it's obviously geared at PvE.
    About oppourtunity-times being worth it. Healers nuke in pvp already; this talent won't change that - this is an obvious incentive, along the lines of Lightningbolting for mana, Smiting for healing et c, to filling offtimes (which you will eventually have) by something that will benefit you in other ways.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    About oppourtunity-times being worth it. Healers nuke in pvp already; this talent won't change that - this is an obvious incentive, along the lines of Lightningbolting for mana, Smiting for healing et c, to filling offtimes (which you will eventually have) by something that will benefit you in other ways.
    Those talents provide basic utility for their classes. Fury does not. That said, those talents, along with Fury, will still see much more use in PVP than PVE. Have you seen much Beta PVE? It's all really healing intensive. Myself, I havent even wanted to use Wrath in 5 mans on the Beta, let alone the raids they are testing. It'll only get real use if the content is heavily nerfed or it can be outgeared. If it were truly PVE aimed, they'd include some sort of utility besides contributing terrible damage to the raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Slotter View Post
    Their whole design principal behind the talent tree redesign was to make talents fun and give and make people think about their choices. I see no fun in this or justifiable use. If you want it in the resto tree thats fine, but 3rd tier? for that? What makes it worse is it's a requirement to get Malfurion's Gift, which is a pretty good resto talent. Why those two are tied together I have no idea.

Like I said, I'm new to druid, but I think even as a PvP talent it's ridiculous. If I want to DPS in a BG or Arena I'd just moonfire, not do a castable spell that could be interrupted or counterspelled. As far as PvE, why are they making a 3rd tier 2 talent point option to help us not be bored if we are OP in a heroic?

There's no way I'm the first person to bring this us am I?
    I cast wrath as resto druid whenever I get the chance in PvP. Moonfire is incredibly mana heavy (especially at 85), wrath does more damage, has a chance to proc instant starfire and costs 0 mana.

Healing has changed massively in PvP in the past few seasons and healer dps can really make or break a game. Look at RMP for example, that's basically a 3 dps setup when played properly.

It's a really good talent for PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    i've done all of the beta 5 mans on normal and most of them on heroic at this point and there has only been a few instances where i've been able to DPS. Throne of the tides with the facehugger boss specifically comes to mind. the rest of the fights you are healing almost constantly. Granted some of the fights were overly complicated due to people taking easily avoidable damage. I've been out of the country for the last 2 weeks on a terrible internet connection so i haven't had the chance to get into any of the raids, so i can't speak for those. But i'm guessing that they will follow much the same model as the 5 mans when it comes to healer down time and being able to DPS with little-no impact on healing.
    Last edited by Cerelli; 2010-11-03 at 07:17 AM.

Deleted
    Face-hugger boss? That sounds funky! :-) That reminds me, need to buy the blu-ray Alien set. :P

I quite like the sound of Fury, granted it's practically 95% a PVP talent, but then my dual spec was going to be more PVP than PVE orientated so it will have it's use and I like the idea of having variety in my role.

Problem I have now is trying to make a PVP spec for Resto that will still have it's decent uses in a heroic or raid environment without being too gimped. Unfortunately until Cataclysm comes out it's hard to tell what spells are useful as a lot of people are saying that Healing Touch/Nourish and even Regrowth are pointless now - what do Beta testers say?

In the beta all 3 of our direct heals have their place and feel useful. You tend to spam nourish a lot on the tank to keep his health pool stable. Regrowth on him if things get nasty and you don't think you will have time to get a healing touch off without him getting killed. And HT you use to get the tank's health back up in a hurry. For raid healing I tend to mostly hit them with hots/SM and regrowth if they end up taking a lot of damage. Raid damage is handled properly is never severe enough to kill somebody quickly so hots and a direct heal or two is usually enough. If the person doesn't get out of that deadly boss mechanic though, they can die fast and it is their fault they died. The days of healers carrying bad players is over. No more healing through stuff meant to kill you.
    Last edited by Cerelli; 2010-11-04 at 03:18 AM.

You also have to consider that the 5 second rule is gone. Before there were two types: casting regen and normal regen. Every time you cast something and for 5 seconds after you are in "casting regen" which was generally 30-50% of your normal regen. Now you have in combat regen and out of combat regen, so it doesn't matter if your spamming rejuv or sitting there with a root up your ass, you have the same regen.

So, since the talent makes Wrath not cost mana you are able to spam it and still regen mana, so if you are oom you can at least dps. It won't be much, but it's better than you sitting there or meleeing.

Deleted
    In the new talent calculator (see WoWTal or WoWHead) for build 13241, Fury of Stormrage and Malfurion's Gift are no longer linked. With Revitalize and Swift Rejuvenation also losing a talent point, that's 2 to 4 extra talent points you can put in other healing talents, depending on what your build was.

Deleted
    http://wowtal.com/#k=qCNdsi11.a7t.druid.

Sweet, with those extra couple of points I can use this spec and be catered for PVP and PVE at 85 with one spare talent point to shove somewhere either in Furor or Perseverance.

Quote Originally Posted by axio View Post
    You also have to consider that the 5 second rule is gone. Before there were two types: casting regen and normal regen. Every time you cast something and for 5 seconds after you are in "casting regen" which was generally 30-50% of your normal regen.
    Even with the 5-second rule in place before 4.0.1, if a spell had no mana cost, it didn't cause the subsequent drop in mana regen rate. A spell had to cost mana to trigger the FSR. So the elimination of the FSR doesn't make Fury of Stormrage any more useful.
    Dual Wielding: Equipping one weapon in each hand. Utilized by enhancement shamans, warriors, rogues, DK's, hunters.
    Duel Wielding: Equipping a rabid feral gnome in each hand and watching them inevitably tear each other into little gnome bits. Utilized by bored tauren warriors and also frequently by forum posters who can't spell "Dual Wielding."