Deleted

Wink Virgin media lag/spike fix!

Hi all!

Many people I have spoken to using Virgin broadband have an increased latency in-game and are suffering spikes during encounters.

I found a fix that worked for me and the people I have spoken too..

Download:
    http://www.speedguide.net/files/TCPOptimizer.exe

I clicked "custom settings" and lowered the mtu to 900, then applied the settings.

Also, for Vista/Win 7 users. Run cmd as admin and type,
    netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Local Area Connection" mtu=900 store=persistent

Hope this works for you too!

-Adam.

31 posts, no offense but sounds iffy.

Edit: yes i only have 40 posts, but im not posting links to .exe's.

Deleted
    I am currently having high latency issues with VM since 4.0 but i have to agree with Messick.

AwesomeSauceUK
    Not a fix, just reduces the amount of data in the packets sent to the WoW server, resulting in more packets being sent per second, resulting in slightly better latency.

You'll still have horrible lag in Dungeons and Raids.

Please don't do this unless you know what you're doing. MTU stands for Maximum Transmission Unit and sets the maximum datagram size that your connection can handle without fragmentation. I'm not sure what protocol Virgin is using, but you may want to check with them to find out what you SHOULD set your MTU to based on your connection to them.

Setting this too low could cause excess fragmentation and possibly even worse connection issues. I'm glad it worked for the OP but check and make sure you're setting it correctly before just randomly setting it.

For more information:

http : / / w w w .tech-faq.com/mtu.html

Edit: Most home routers will set this correctly for you.

this is more or less taken from the official 40pages+ thread on the official EU tech sup forums -> http://forums.wow-europe.com/board.h...Id=11079&sid=1

it does work - HALF of the time - for some people it does, for some it doesnt. you can read both the 40+page thread and the VM lag fix threads, full of advices if you have issues with your conenction.

Deleted
    changing the mtu worked for me fixing an issue i had ages ago where the game wasnt going any further then `connecting` when i tried to log in........also had issues logging into things like msn messenger,. I downloaded a program very similar to this i think called dr tcp and changed it to what the help page reccomended me at the time, fixed all the issues i was having.

as for virgin media whats the deal? im getting lag spikes latly as well and that pisses me off considering ive got the 50meg cable fibre optic connection!

I agree with the above, you don't want to set your MTU so low, it is going to impact a lot of other things. It might not even work, as your router which is providing your connection probably has its own MTU setting.

If your having lag, one thing you can do to help is use the Leatrix Latency Fix, this alters the ack packets sent by your machine. This wont bugger up anything else, but will help in wow.

I am so new here, just today! that I cant link you to the file you need. But if you goto google and search for "Leatrix Latency Fix" The first result on wow interface is the one you want.

Zoe

Deleted
    Well my MS dropped from 2.2k to 76 in Dalaran and I no longer lag spike during encounters..

omslemming
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtuous View Post
    Well my MS dropped from 2.2k to 76 in Dalaran and I no longer lag spike during encounters..

what did you exactly change the mtu then in this case mate? might have a go myself i actully logged off last night just because the game was unplayable it was so bad....i was leveling a new alt and running through the forest is a nightmare when its lagging lol one minute im running into empty space the next my character jumps ahead 200 metres and im being chased by 4 wolves and a bear.....died so many times lol

ive also got the virgin media 50 meg connection so theres no way it should be lagging