Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Talking Warlock Tanks...

I jsut finished watching this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS-mk2WMq8I

i have watched this a fair few times xD i really really like the idea of a warlock tanking spec, i know you will all be like "pfft a clothie tank" but think about it, we have searing pain that creates a shed load of threat, of course it would have to be demonology, no other spec fits it.

It would be quite easy to change into a tanking spec, change Demonic pact, to increase your threat instead of spell damage, change demon armour to increase threat and increase the amount of armour it gives.

make the new demon soul thing make the VW reduce damage taken for a few seconds, make searing pain instant cast, that way you only have to cast immolate at the begining of a fight, use fel flame to keep it up and use searing pain (that would probably have a short CD) and dots for single target, for AE tanking jsut use hellfire, ofc without the self damaging thing

i could go on but im lazy and its nearly 1am :P what do you think? i personally would love it, im sure like 90% of people hate it but oh well, jsut throwing it out there

Zyger

P.S sorry if it didnt make entire sense, english was never my strong point, kinda embaresing as im english :/

There are already a few fights that (in the past) have involved Warlock tanks. It is possible to do so again in the future. In terms of a full time tanking spec as a Warlock. No. Please no. I would petition against that until the very end.

10+ Year Old Account
    Roll a tank. Seriously, this topic has been talked about for years.

Demonic Pact being changed from a spell damage talent to a threat talent? It's a waste. So that will leave only ele shamans to provide the 10% buff. That would totally destroy the tree. Some people want to dps as demo. You would have to totally change what the tree is all about to get it be a viable tanking tree. And demonic pact is a key talent of that spec.

Is it possible to get non-critable as a Warlock in current content?
    I guess after you outgear the content, or on specific fights, it would be a pretty fun way to do it.
    Who knows, maybe they'll make a hard mode out of it (must have x class with highest agro at the end of fight).

10+ Year Old Account
    I have always advocated the idea of a warlock tank, we have half the tools already!

Nothing against using a lock as a 3rd tank on certain fights, but as a full time dedicated tank? no.

As much as I hate DPS queues on my Warlock, the last thing LFD needs is more people who dont understand their class trying to queue up as tank for instant queues.

I dont want them to have to do what they did to the feral tree with the demo tree. Essentially have 2 specs in the one tree. DPS/tank.

Warlocks provide great ranged DPS and can provide utility tanking if boss mechanics call for it (Twin Emps, Mim's Head, Blood Princes)
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you truely want to tank as a demo lock, do what i do. wait for the current tank (and offtank if in a raid) switch to searing pain, pop our last stand, go demon form and take aggro until you can fix the situation. tanked the last 3% of 25 lk that way, had fun too. but other wise no, myself and many other locks never want the spec to be full time tank.

10+ Year Old Account
    Truly, warlocks filled tank roles on some fights in the past, I am myself not an exception. But that were magic (especially shadow) tanking encounter. Sacrificing no less interesting pet-based DD spec just won't justify turning locks into full-fledged tanks.
    But I like the idea of a cloth-tank, and I really hope Blizzard will save a twist like this for a new heroic caster calss.
    That's why you need me.... Need someone to punish you for your sins.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiveyoushi View Post
    If you truely want to tank as a demo lock, do what i do. wait for the current tank (and offtank if in a raid) switch to searing pain, pop our last stand, go demon form and take aggro until you can fix the situation. tanked the last 3% of 25 lk that way, had fun too. but other wise no, myself and many other locks never want the spec to be full time tank.
    you dont HAVE to be a tank, you can always steer clear of the tank spec

and Cernunnos, i agree on the whole having 2 specs in one, althought i think it works for druids.

But we do have most the tools already ah well, guess not amny peopel like the idea xD although ic ant see why...

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    ill let you warlock tank when my enh shaman is allowed to tank...

Holding all the orbs on the blood princes is probably the closest locks will come to tanking...and it should stay that way.

Quote Originally Posted by cata View Post
    ill let you warlock tank when my enh shaman is allowed to tank...
    aren't shammy's gonna be viable to off tank in certain circumstances in cata?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Modibybob View Post
    Holding all the orbs on the blood princes is probably the closest locks will come to tanking...and it should stay that way.
    Seems like somebody hasn't been around the Leotheras, Illidan and later on Twins times.

Good times!

Was always fun to do something apart the "need to top all others in DPS" routine.

Deleted
    There was a video of a BM hunter tanking Algalon with his pet but i can't find it any more =(

No, gimmick fights are ok, but annoying, Capernian in Kael fight, Leo the blind, Illidan, Twin Emps, Princes etc, these are gimmick fights for the most part, all in all if you want a tanking class there are some available, druid, warrior, pally and dk.

Warlocks are caster dps and should stay as such, you already hear numerous complaints in the past about warlocks being raid bosses etc, I'd rather not have to deal w/ those types again, nor w/ ppl failn @ tanking 5 mans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't Dodge or Parry while casting. This means we'd need a whole new suite of spells. May as well just make a new Tanking class. Oh they did.

There's also the small issue of cloth itemisation for tanking, ie the none existence of it.
    Last edited by Jessicka; 2010-11-03 at 02:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Can't Dodge or Parry while casting. This means we'd need a whole new suite of spells. May as well just make a new Tanking class. Oh they did.

There's also the small issue of cloth itemisation for tanking, ie the none existence of it.
    Have the perk from picking demo at lvl 10 be that all intellect is converted into strength, stamina increased by "insert %" crit into dodge and haste into parry or something? i dont know :P

Again this?
    Boy, is this terrible to roll one of the 4 tanks? you want to have one with a respec?

While the fact that in these 6 years we have seen some occasions for Locks to let their thoughness shine, and we enjoied it, the sole fact for it to become somewhat "basic" role for a tree would just ruin the fun for it; ppl that still rumors about it is either lazy or totally out of the spirit of the class, and of the mechanics and balance of the game.

While I did enjoy being the lock tank on all the "gimmick" fights throughout the history of the game, I would actually be pretty angry if they ever made it so locks had a "real" tank spec. I like playing a pure dps class as my main for a reason (even if locks have been pretty mediocre overall this expansion, lol), and if we were given a tank spec, we'd then be considered a hybrid. If I wanted to tank, I'd hop on one of my alts.

“There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”

Having one of every class, I personally enjoy my demo lock the most. Would I want to give up pulling 10k single target dps outside ICC for a tank spec? Not a chance.
    Would I want to tank on my lock if there was an option to do it without sacrificing my demo dps spec? In a heart beat.
    Metamorphosis gives demo locks a tank form, 600% increase in armor, 6% to not get crit. I've used it to tank the boss on the gunship in icc a couple times when our tank dc'd, but it's not perfect. Locks have crap for dodge, and blizzard removed our melee attack and taunt.
    I don't want them messing with the talent trees, again, but I wouldn't mind if they did it through glyphs. Something that would swap out the damage buff from meta with a dodge buff, a threat modifier, and permanent form would be nice. Oh, and give me back my aoe taunt, with an single target. Probabaly never happen though, so many tears have been cried over it since the begining of wow.

Raaniosi - Anvilmar - Demonology Warlock
    Raaniosi - lvl 100 Forsaken Warlock