Question Metamorphosis up time

With the new patches leading to cataclysm, what's your up time of metamorphosis? If you go Demo/Affliction, can you become a more melee-centric warlock? I'm not talking about a super-effective build. I'm talking about doing it for kicks. You know, turning into a demon and feasting on people's soul via life drain as often as possible, and things like that.

By melee you me in melee range?

Ah, right. I should clarify. I guess I mean in melee range for PvP (BG and such) where I simply wouldn't run away if people walk up to me. I don't see why you would walk up to melee range in PvE if I'm casting spells to begin with.

Unfortunately with the way the talent trees are right now there simply aren't enough talent points available to augment Life Drain in such a way the would be beneficial for you in a PvP environment. That being said, come Cataclysm and with the right talents the idea of a 'melee' Warlock becomes quite achievable. I'm sure that once we get to 85 that would be a build I'd like to try for myself.

Too bad we don't have firestone anymore.. I will miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by olicon View Post
    Ah, right. I should clarify. I guess I mean in melee range for PvP (BG and such) where I simply wouldn't run away if people walk up to me. I don't see why you would walk up to melee range in PvE if I'm casting spells to begin with.
    It's quite handy in PvE, actually. Not using Immolation Aura has got to be a huge loss in DPS, for me it does 6-7k extra DPS while active. Granted it's only 15 seconds, that's 15 seconds every single Meta.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    It's quite handy in PvE, actually. Not using Immolation Aura has got to be a huge loss in DPS, for me it does 6-7k extra DPS while active. Granted it's only 15 seconds, that's 15 seconds every single Meta.
    If you use the Meta glyph and pop Immolation Aura the second you go into Demon Form, you can squeeze another 5-6 seconds out of it. The cooldown on it is 30 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    If you use the Meta glyph and pop Immolation Aura the second you go into Demon Form, you can squeeze another 5-6 seconds out of it. The cooldown on it is 30 seconds.
    Yeah but i thought that was still an overall dps loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirtyrock View Post
    Yeah but i thought that was still an overall dps loss.
    As a point of reference, my lock is level 78, so no epics and low spell power. My Immolation aura does an average of around 30k damage in a boss fight, where I'm only able to pop it once, so I'm assuming it's much higher for a level 80 with T10 gear on a boss fight that allows you to pop it more than once. That much damage at the cost of 1-2 GCDs is an amazing amount of DPCT.