Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Lich King Heroic 10m - 3 or 2 healers post patch 4.0 ?

Hello!

Sorry if this has been asked before, I did use the search tool and found some threads regarding LK10 hc, but none of them really answered what I'm looking for. I have a couple basic questions:

1: Is this fight doable now without a disc priest?
    2: Is this fight doable with 3 healers?
    3: Is this fight doable with NO melee dps so ranged dps only?
    4: How big of a problem is the bug that shadow traps aren't as visible as they should be?
    5: How does post patch 4.0 health pools + dps output and the allegedly increased dmg from boss affect this fight? Would you say it's easier or harder?

We have progressed on this guy for 6-7 weeks before summer, we got to phase 3 a couple times (frostmourne room did us in) but due to summer slack we have been unable to get our core group back together. Now we finally do, but we've not been to lk hc for a long time and I'm looking for some tips & info on what changed We did it with 15 % buff btw.

You can assume our dps are all in the 14-17k dps range.

Thanks in advance for any information

DPS Shouldnt be a problem. A disc priest really simplifyes the fight, but its not needed if you got 3 good healers (pref resto druid, resto shaman and holy pala). The figth is doable with no melee and makes the valks alot easyer. The "bug" with shadow traps can be fixed by unchecking Enfesice own spell details or something. The fight overall is easyer imo, but i know guilds that have farmed this boss for months and still havent rekilled it after the patch so i guess its really diffrent from guild to guild.

For phase 3 tanks should be soaking the spirist by taunting one at a time and poping them like that aswell. Have them use CDs on every spirit phase. This should make p3 extremly short and give you 1 or 2 frostmourne rooms before hes dead. You should mark one that is sertain on how to move inside the frostmourn room with a mark like star or orange since its easy to see when down there. Noone should die in that room if you have a priest, druid or shaman healing since they can do constant aoe healing which there isnt needed much of in the room.

Really its not a hard fight when you just get the hang of the tank soaking.

Anyways good luck.

Thank you Consata for your information. I'd love to be able to play that fight as shadow priest to both provide replenishment + I have a more than adequate dps output, then we could use the setup druid/shaman/hpala as we have those available (druid has a boom spec). So it's either me shadowing, or him booming. We'll probably try with both and see what works best with our setup.

I like your suggestion to burn p3 down using a soaker, do you know if we hit bloodlust at the start of p1, if we will have bloodlust up again for said burn phase in p3? I'm unsure as to how long this fight will last now.

Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    Hello!
    4: How big of a problem is the bug that shadow traps aren't as visible as they should be?
    Untick the following: Interface -> Display -> Emphasize My Spell Effects

Thank you Consata for your information. I'd love to be able to play that fight as shadow priest to both provide replenishment + I have a more than adequate dps output, then we could use the setup druid/shaman/hpala as we have those available (druid has a boom spec). So it's either me shadowing, or him booming. We'll probably try with both and see what works best with our setup.

I like your suggestion to burn p3 down using a soaker, do you know if we hit bloodlust at the start of p1, if we will have bloodlust up again for said burn phase in p3? I'm unsure as to how long this fight will last now.
    Depending on your dps you could. but i wouldnt bet on it. Saveing BL for p3 or poping it on pull is really up to you but i think its a smarter choice to use it in p3 to burn it down even faster.

15+ Year Old Account
    We use BL during 2nd transition to ensure our OT can just tank Vile Spirits for us instead of the mirror image things.
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    We use BL during 2nd transition to ensure our OT can just tank Vile Spirits for us instead of the mirror image things.
    If you need BL in the trans phase to P2 there is something verry verry wrong with your dps and tank. This should be the easyest part of the entire fight. Really, save BL for P3 after the first frostmourned room and defile so you get max dps time. Also if you got a shaman have him put down a tremmor totem unless you got a hunter because then he can use frost trap. Its not to complicated really, again just get the tank soaking down and you got yourself a kill.

i did it with 2 healers pre patch: holy paladin and resto druid.
    if one of them get grabbed by val'kyr our shadow priest could use divine hymn on infest or elemental shaman could off heal the tank.

our setup was
    tanks: DK (me) and prot pala
    healers: rdruid and hpala
    dps: elemental, shadow priest, hunter, retri, rogue

Deleted
    We did it last night, here is the setup:

Tanks: Druid and DK
    Healers: Paladin and Druid
    DPS: Rogue, DK, Paladin, Hunter, Warrior, Priest.

Worked quite fine.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Consata View Post
    If you need BL in the trans phase to P2 there is something verry verry wrong with your dps and tank. This should be the easyest part of the entire fight. Really, save BL for P3 after the first frostmourned room and defile so you get max dps time. Also if you got a shaman have him put down a tremmor totem unless you got a hunter because then he can use frost trap. Its not to complicated really, again just get the tank soaking down and you got yourself a kill.
    I don't think you understand what 'second transition' means.
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

we just got him last week for the firts time, pre 4.01 we had him down to 16% enrage with 2 healers

setup pre 4.01 was
    Prot pala
    Prot warr
    Disc
    Resto druid
    Ret pala
    mm hunter
    ele shaman
    shadow priest
    fire mage
    affli lock

after patch we changed abit
    Prot pala
    prot pala
    holy pala
    resto druid
    disc priest
    shadow priest
    shadow priest
    fire mage
    eleshaman
    mm hunter

when we killed him we had 1 min to enrage.

So yes you can 3 heal it, and yes you can skip melee, i even find the fight alot easyer without melee, 2 of the paladins we used on the kill are ret main spec both have shadowmurne but, banked that crap axe and let the ranged do there job

I don't think you understand what 'second transition' means.
    I did missunderstand it, but you still shouldnt need the bl for the 2n trans phase. The vile spirits will be after the frostmourne room and by that time you should have killed the raigings. If not then have a paladin soaking

Deleted
    1: Is this fight doable now without a disc priest?
    It was easy doable without a disc priest pre-4.0.1, just takes proper healers (and no it's not much harder, Paladin+Shaman owned pre-4.0.1 for this fight).
    2: Is this fight doable with 3 healers?
    Yes, it will most likely be a close call.
    3: Is this fight doable with NO melee dps so ranged dps only?
    Very possible, it will make your phase 3 slightly easier if your not soaking, Shadow traps shouldn't be a problem in phase 1.
    Tell people to get a eye-test, they are still very easy to spot, just takes a bit more concetration.
    5: How does post patch 4.0 health pools + dps output and the allegedly increased dmg from boss affect this fight? Would you say it's easier or harder?
    As I haven't played since 4.0.1 anymore, I figure the hp pools and dps output went up a bit higher. If the boss hits harder, it's still easy as from what I remember, he didn't really hit hard on 10 man in the first place, the only threatening thing was soul reaper (but hey, that's why you use cooldowns!).

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Consata View Post
    I did missunderstand it, but you still shouldnt need the bl for the 2n trans phase. The vile spirits will be after the frostmourne room and by that time you should have killed the raigings. If not then have a paladin soaking
    I make this suggestion because we went from 40% to 10% with 1 frostmourne room. not having to kill any raging spirits in p3 means tons more dps time on LK

I make this suggestion because we went from 40% to 10% with 1 frostmourne room. not having to kill any raging spirits in p3 means tons more dps time on LK
    well even if you use bl for the 2nd trans phase, the last raging spirit will spawn just seconds before you have to move in.
    i don't see the advantage of bl in this phase too, since we can kill every spirit without lust, except for that one spirit spawning in the end, which goes down under 50% until we go down into frostmourne room (and will eventually go to 30%ish while we are there cause of the dots)

i'd defenitley pop BL at the start in p1 and then again a 2nd time as soon as it's rdy. well sure, if you have crazy dps, it won't be after the first frostmourne room, because you won't hit 10min until there, but i really doubt that having just one room phase is "normal" or even "doable" (for a 264 geared group, especially when 3 healing it) -> you will definitely have at least 2 room phases.

little calculation btw: 30% on LK10hc is somewhat like 10mio'ish, right, if you'd burn him down with just one room phase, and no bl in this phase, that would mean around 14k dps per damage dealer on the boss (if 6) over the entire available 120 seconds, this means EVERY single second after transition ended, even when kiting the boss, to soak spirits, or running cause of defile (and ofc killing the last spirit)... if you can pull that off, congrats, i doubt so... (again, when being equipt in only 264's; in 277's + 284 weapons this seems way more reasonable) -> not a good advice, for someone how's asking for help for their firstkill

and uh, if you have such strong dps, you wouldn't need lust in the 2nd trans phase in the first place, because you'd be able to burn them so fast, BL would be more than wasted (again, the last spirit spawns pretty much as you have to move in, so you will have at least this one spirit up)

back to topic:

atm it's definitely easier when 3 healing it, since enrage shouldn't be an issue anymore -> 3 healers is definitly a smart choice when going to learn the fight
    -> get a third healer and play it safe, use BL right in the beginning (which also make p1 way easier, since it will be way faster) and again in p3 -> kill him...

edit: actually it's easier to kill him with a ranged setup atm i think, makes p2 way easier, p3 and frostmourne room should be easier too^^
    Last edited by Carline; 2010-11-04 at 08:06 AM.

The issue we had before the patch was tank deaths with 2 healers being strained. Going up to 3 healers and having 5 decent dps made it much easier.

Deleted
    Hello!

Sorry if this has been asked before, I did use the search tool and found some threads regarding LK10 hc, but none of them really answered what I'm looking for. I have a couple basic questions:

1: Is this fight doable now without a disc priest? -- Yes
    2: Is this fight doable with 3 healers? -- Yes
    3: Is this fight doable with NO melee dps so ranged dps only? -- Should make it easier if a few ranged get the ghouls down.
    4: How big of a problem is the bug that shadow traps aren't as visible as they should be? -- None
    5: How does post patch 4.0 health pools + dps output and the allegedly increased dmg from boss affect this fight? Would you say it's easier or harder? Pre-4.0 we had - A LOT - of tank deaths, especially to shamblers. This has gone down to near 0, so I would say it's a lot easier now. As for dps, its quite a bit higher, I peak 22k myself in p1, but everyone is below 10k @ 10% due to various mechanics (DK myself). Dps seems a lot easier as well, but we still soak spirits due to 1/2 ranged

We have progressed on this guy for 6-7 weeks before summer, we got to phase 3 a couple times (frostmourne room did us in) but due to summer slack we have been unable to get our core group back together. Now we finally do, but we've not been to lk hc for a long time and I'm looking for some tips & info on what changed We did it with 15 % buff btw.

You can assume our dps are all in the 14-17k dps range.

Thanks in advance for any information
    Having killed him 3 times after the patch, last one being a 1-shot. Added in quote.

We did it with Holy Paladin/Disc Priest before 4.0 (in max i264 gear, aka only 10man raid gear) and we did it again after 4.0 with Holy Paladin/Resto Druid. Two healers is the best, healing is not too difficult anymore (with 4.0 healing/tank buffs and 30% buff), so you can take more DPS.
    Join Amicus, 10man progression raiding, but on a respectable 2day schedule!

last add comes 1-2 second before phase, you cant kill it before frostmourne

Thanks a bunch everyone for your comments.

Last night we had a couple goes, we didn't have too much time as we only raid 3 hours at a time and had to clear the entire place too. So we trained about an hour and 15 minutes. First try was actually phenomonal, we got to 17 % before we were all dead, mainly failure on managing spirits correctly, and I was an idiot for actually healing in my shadow gear.

After that we had a few more goes but we kept hitting some stupid mistakes like tank enrage deaths in p1, or defile failure in p2 etc. Sunday evening we'll focus 3 hours on him and I'm quite confident we can down this guy.

We used three healers btw, disc/holy pala/resto shaman. Last time we were on him was with 15 % buff before the summer, now with 30 % buff, 4.0 skills etc this guy almost looks easy in comparison heh