Thread: Profession

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Profession

I currently have max Enchanting and Jewelcrafting, and i'm thinking of dropping Jewelcrafting for Engineering. Is this ok to do? The special gems add a slight dps boost but tbh i like the sound of alot of Engineering stuff, such as BBQ, epic bow, fun stuff like running fast (Can also help), glove/belt enchants.

Do you think it's really a big difference if i drop JC for Engineering?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT - I Don't really care for making money with the profession btw.
    Last edited by Solidito; 2010-11-03 at 05:37 PM.

JC gives about the same amount of stat boost as any other profession but gives you more of a variety of what stat to use (same with Blacksmith). Where as with a profession like enchanting, you are stuck with just AP (Agility in Cata). So I wouldn't drop JC if I were you, on top of that JC is a very good profession to make gold with :P

Jewelcrafting is way better than Enchanting (42 Agility >>>>>> 80 AP), and it'll continue to be better in Cata (gives about 1-2 more stat points I think).

JC/Eng is the best combo right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also the hyperspeed accelerators, now that haste is amazing for pretty much every class, who wouldn't want 240 haste every minute? Insane people, that's who.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

I've been an Engineer throughout all of Wrath, and I have never once regretted it. The perks that engineering provides are almost never in the form of boosted numbers like with enchanting or jewelcrafting, but they're fantastic in their own right.

Rocket boots > great for positioning in raids (getting to/away from your target, kiting, standing in fire, etc)

Parachute > passive stats PLUS the ability to fall from great heights with no concern? Yes please.

Glove tinkers > haste buff that can be stacked with rapid fire, burst damage off the gcd, etc.

Bombs > Enough said.

Boosted health potions, access to the AH in Dal, jumper cables, jeeves, summonable mail box, teleporters... I can't imagine NOT being an Engineer. And I'm really, really looking forward to all the new stuff in Cata. It seems our tinkers stack now (though some have gotten slightly weaker as a result), group food buffs, new teleporters, more ranged weapons, and oh yeah... MORE BOMBS.

JC is boring, come to our side, we have mechanical cookie dispensers.
    - The Hunter's Creed -
    "This is my pet. There are many others like him, but this one is mine. He is my best friend. He is my life. I must master him as I master my life.
    My pet, without me, is useless. Without my pet, I am useless."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyph3r View Post
    I've been an Engineer throughout all of Wrath, and I have never once regretted it. The perks that engineering provides are almost never in the form of boosted numbers like with enchanting or jewelcrafting, but they're fantastic in their own right.

Rocket boots > great for positioning in raids (getting to/away from your target, kiting, standing in fire, etc)

Parachute > passive stats PLUS the ability to fall from great heights with no concern? Yes please.

Glove tinkers > haste buff that can be stacked with rapid fire, burst damage off the gcd, etc.

Bombs > Enough said.

Boosted health potions, access to the AH in Dal, jumper cables, jeeves, summonable mail box, teleporters... I can't imagine NOT being an Engineer. And I'm really, really looking forward to all the new stuff in Cata. It seems our tinkers stack now (though some have gotten slightly weaker as a result), group food buffs, new teleporters, more ranged weapons, and oh yeah... MORE BOMBS.

JC is boring, come to our side, we have mechanical cookie dispensers.
    Especially since last I saw, the Engineering additions stacked with enchants on the gear...I'm very strongly considering ditching something to go Engineering.

JC is much less of an "awesome" profession now, since there will be no reason to ever use anything but the agility gems.
    "WoW is a game about upgrading your stuff." - Ghostcrawler

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz
    anachronistic hypocrites
    Oh noes! We're time traveling hypocrites!

Deleted
    I personally never take two crafting professions on one character, too expensive for my taste. But I'd go with Jewelcrafting/Engineering as well for the aforementioned reasons.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ok thanks all i'm gna go with Enchanting and Engineering. Can always relevel JC.

Deleted
    Engineering is fun, but not good for making money. If you're not concerned about money and have a few extra key-binds, then Engineering is quite fun.

However, if you wish to make a profit or somehow improve your alts, then you'll need something else. Mining is by far the most popular profession.

Quote Originally Posted by chelate View Post
    Especially since last I saw, the Engineering additions stacked with enchants on the gear...I'm very strongly considering ditching something to go Engineering.

JC is much less of an "awesome" profession now, since there will be no reason to ever use anything but the agility gems.
    You get 1-2 additional stat points out of JC because of how it's set up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 3clipse View Post
    You get 1-2 additional stat points out of JC because of how it's set up.
    Because of Kings and +% agility, I assume?

Then yes, pretty good. But I've put a lot of time and money into Alchemy, and it's at least some guaranteed xmute income. JC is a flooded profession and not a great money maker on my realm.

I don't really want to drop either, though. Engineering just looks so nice now.

anachronistic hypocrites

Because of Kings and +% agility, I assume?

Then yes, pretty good. But I've put a lot of time and money into Alchemy, and it's at least some guaranteed xmute income. JC is a flooded profession and not a great money maker on my realm.

I don't really want to drop either, though. Engineering just looks so nice now.
    No, because it's always 3 gems and the added stats are never a number divisible by 3, so you always end up gaining 1-2 stats. e.g. in Wrath it's +40 stat points/profession, JC gets +42 (3 x +14). In Cata it's +80 stat points/profession, JC gets +81 (3 x +27).

If you want money, just level an alt =P

15+ Year Old Account
    Don't need money and i have jewelcrafting on another two alts, so only thing that i will lose is the stats.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 3clipse View Post
    No, because it's always 3 gems and the added stats are never a number divisible by 3, so you always end up gaining 1-2 stats. e.g. in Wrath it's +40 stat points/profession, JC gets +42 (3 x +14). In Cata it's +80 stat points/profession, JC gets +81 (3 x +27).

If you want money, just level an alt =P
    My alt is mining and JC, so I guess I can lose JC. I might have just remembered that, don't judge.

Leveling engineering is an expensive venture, so we'll see. Do the engineering enchants stack RIGHT NOW and did they confirm that's intentional, because if so I might as well do it tonight.

anachronistic hypocrites

On beta, the agi on the parachute and the stam on the helm enchant have been removed (along with the crit removed from nitro boots).

10+ Year Old Account

Leveling engineering is an expensive venture, so we'll see. Do the engineering enchants stack RIGHT NOW and did they confirm that's intentional, because if so I might as well do it tonight.
    I thought the same thing about engineering but i levelled it last week and it cost me less than 3k, i had spent around two weeks beforehand grabbing any of the mats that seemed exceptionally cheap then just power levelled it in 3hrs or so, and ye the enchants stack which is awesome. Engineering IMO is just win with the extra CC and movement its gonna be a real help in the coming BGs and new raids

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
    On beta, the agi on the parachute and the stam on the helm enchant have been removed (along with the crit removed from nitro boots).
    aww that sucks, are you sure it just hasnt been removed from the tooltip because it doesn't actually show up on there atm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
    They laugh in the face of our pet, they laugh at our traps, they laugh at our slows and backleaps. We have but one final weapon up our sleeve. We can play on their far weaker and feebler minds to impress on them the illusion that we have died! Yes we can confound and befuddle our enemies into thinking we have slipped off this mortal coil. Of course, a fellow hunter knows different. he knows we are simply fooling them into complacency. For it is then, when they belive they have won... we strike.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    i was Ench+JC also, changed JC to Eng two days ago (because i like enchanting and the stats bonus difference with Cata will be so low that i prefer staying with my 290/296 Enchanting recipes, and both my dk and lock are JC, so no profit problem :P) and i like it
    Eng is better than all other professions, 240 haste 12/60s on demand and 23 agility are awesome (there should be no more crit Bonus on Nitro Boost, i can't find the 24 crit description in the profession tooltip)

and Jeeves + MOLL-E + 2 mounts + Wormhole Generator + Everlook or Gadgetzan Teleport are FANTASTIC

EDIT: confirmed Nitro Boost no longer gives 24 crit rating (just logged-in and tried to unequip/equip my boots, only the boots crit rating bonus is added)
    Last edited by S7orm; 2010-11-04 at 12:05 PM.

My alt is mining and JC, so I guess I can lose JC. I might have just remembered that, don't judge.

If you're referring to live, no they don't stack yet, though I guess that could potentially be changing in 4.0.3. But currently they still have their stat bonuses tied to them so it's not that big a deal.

As far as leveling, it's always seemed to me that engineering is actually one of the easiest and cheapest crafting professions to level. I'd wager a large part of that is that to make anything, you first have to make it's various components, so a single item might net you 3 or 4 skill-ups in the process.
    - The Hunter's Creed -
    "This is my pet. There are many others like him, but this one is mine. He is my best friend. He is my life. I must master him as I master my life.
    My pet, without me, is useless. Without my pet, I am useless."

Quote Originally Posted by Seveer3 View Post
    I thought the same thing about engineering but i levelled it last week and it cost me less than 3k, i had spent around two weeks beforehand grabbing any of the mats that seemed exceptionally cheap then just power levelled it in 3hrs or so, and ye the enchants stack which is awesome. Engineering IMO is just win with the extra CC and movement its gonna be a real help in the coming BGs and new raids

Edit:

aww that sucks, are you sure it just hasnt been removed from the tooltip because it doesn't actually show up on there atm.
    Yeah, i recently copied over my hunter to beta to double check. Sadly, my agility went down on beta by 23 =(