Leveling a 41 mage

So I got a 41 mage I made for twink BG's a long time ago, and I decided to level him. What do you guys think is the best spec to level with? I prefer whatever is most fun, but I also want effective. Easy rotation doesn't hurt either (not that I can't handle tricky rotations, I am just lazy).

So, most fun spec to level as?

10+ Year Old Account
    Ive heard that fire is really fun to lvl as.

i'm having a blast as arcane in dungeons, sooooo much dps. i haven't tried fire and i'm dual spec'd frost/arcane. i use frost for questing now and arcane for instances. frost as always has more control and survivability and arcane has some really insane dps.
    Devils used to be gods, angels that fell from the top.

Quote Originally Posted by M_10
    I once said "brb [posessive noun] [noun] [verb] [preposition] [article] [noun]." That group was probably confused.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd go either Fire or Arcane for dungeons, Arcane if you want to see big numbers, Fire if you want a bit of fun and some good AoE. I'd then go Frost for just normal leveling through quests etc as its quite mana efficient and based on your playstyle it has very little buttons with Frostbolt spam and Icelance on FoF frozen targets or FoF procs being the main moves especially at low levels.

a buddy of mine is around the same lvl and doing fire and arcane in the dungeon ques he seems ok with either

I am leveling as fire now... main issue... stuff dies too fast.. barely able to get stuff. Arcane might be better, but fire is way fun

Deleted
    i say arcane for dungeons, frost for questing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wuuk View Post
    i say arcane for dungeons, frost for questing
    I concur
    Lightning Fast

Quote Originally Posted by Menkey View Post
    So I got a 41 mage I made for twink BG's a long time ago, and I decided to level him. What do you guys think is the best spec to level with? I prefer whatever is most fun, but I also want effective. Easy rotation doesn't hurt either (not that I can't handle tricky rotations, I am just lazy).

So, most fun spec to level as?
    Hello Menkey... as you can see in my sign I have a level 80 mage, also I decide like you to leveling a new Mage (yeah I want 2 mages lol). He's actually level 43, and I tried all the 3 specs (in this new patch 4.01).

My conclusion: Forget Arcane if you want to leveling in Dungeon/Quest... but Arcane is awesome for Battlegrounds! Fire is cool to dungeons and battlegrounds, not really good for Quests. Frost is awesome for everything, Quest, Dungeon and Battlegrounds.

You have some options, see what you have more fun.... but if you want an advice... in this level Arcane/Fire will be a bit sucks cause you can't have too much talents.... I recommend you to go Frost (with Eternal Pet it's really fun)!

Hope to help you, cya!

If questing use Frost. You get a full time pet now. It's a shame you don't get Mage Armor till level 68 now else you wouldn't run out of mana while questing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm currently leveling a new mage, lvl40 atm, and I have to say that Arcane is a lot better for leveling than I thought. It's so nice being able to 1-2shot every mob I come across, who needs control (frost) when you kill everything in a couple of seconds anyway?

Deleted
    I actually dusted off my little level 42 mage when the new patch hit and have been leveling her when I'm bored. My personal advice from messing around with all 3 talent trees is to stick with Frost up to level 51 or 53 (whenever you can get Nether Vortex). After that switch to Arcane. It's just a power house. You can kill most mobs in 2 casts, and even tougher mobs are a breeze due to the auto-applied Slow effect. It also does pretty well in dungeons.

Currently levelling a mage of my own, started in Frost but switched to arcane as the control that frost used to have is non existent at lower levels barring Cone of Cold.

Arcane is insane, everything dies in like 2 hits, I specced into Torment the Weak and basically just do Frostbolt (don't have slow yet) -> AB = mob dead if not, throw in your mana free AM if it's procced or if not Arcane Barrage to finish it off.

You still get Cone of Cold, Frost Nova and polymorph for control, you can even get a stun out of polymorph if you talent it and once you reach the Slowing talents, I think Arcane will beat all other specs hands down.

What I did at level 40s was solo grinding elite Zul'Farrak Zombies, ...2 years ago. Not difficult for Ice spec at that time if you have enough mana.

Well, you need a friend to clear the way to the sand graves at first, or try the "bug" point. Please note the latter option is risky.
    [the Insane] 25-04-2010 / [Thunderfury] 11-05-2010

yeah any type of grinding like that is bad. doing quests/dungeons are better

Ice lance is just too OP mate. Just go frost for questing. Fire and arcane are too dependent on casting, which sux when a couple of mobs are hitting you. Other specs are also too boring with low crit, frost balances this with shatter.

And you really are almost two shotting mobs in frost... you are not trading dmg for survival anymore. (At least in questing, stopped dungeoning after WC)

I was having mana issue in early levels.. but somewhere in my 40s or 50s I just stopped going oom. Now that I have talented mana reduction and returns, I'm almost always full. I think I only evo once in every 2 or 3 levels. And most likely was for health (glyphed evo) for a quick recover after soloing a group quest.