Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Because people are dumb enough to let someone or something convince them it's human nature.

People are lacking self-awareness and tend to define themselves over others. They measure their success, their posessions, their wellbeing and their fortune in life upon that of the others. And because of their failure in feeling good about themselves, they are dependent on the approval by their peers. If you ever asked yourself "why are we never content?" or "why can't people cherish what they have?", the answer would be the same. It all boils down to fear and lack of self-esteem. Major social issue throughout history.

10+ Year Old Account
    That isn't really competition more than it is "lol i better then u lol", really.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayirasi View Post
    You're right. Blizzard shouldn't have temporarily banned you. They should have sent a couple employees to your residence to Jay and Silent Bob you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokvr1 View Post
    I saved a man's life today by performing brain surgery and removing a tumor the size of a quarter from his frontal lobes. God damnit I wish I wasn't ignorant though, cause I have no idea what an LSAT is. I don't know the radius of the Moon either.
    I took part in the LSAT/Cataclysm release date thread.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    Because people are dumb enough to let someone or something convince them it's human nature.

People are lacking self-awareness and tend to define themselves over others. They measure their success, their posessions, their wellbeing and their fortune in life upon that of the others. And because of their failure in feeling good about themselves, they are dependent on the approval by their peers. If you ever asked yourself "why are we never content?" or "why can't people cherish what they have?", the answer would be the same. It all boils down to fear and lack of self-esteem. Major social issue throughout history.
    But an environment where we constantly criticize each other forces us to all tread more carefully, and think before we act. We start to improve ourselves... bit by bit... our peers' comments chipping away at the bad parts of our personalities. And some day, we will evolve into a race of infallible super humans!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Honken View Post
    It's human nature to compete. Why wouldn't this apply to a game?
    qft

10+ Year Old Account

I respectfully disagree on this. It is human nature. Fear is a part of human being. Self-esteem fluctuates. All these contribute to the fact. But its human nature to fight, compete, and gloat.
    "Come, face me! Give in to your Pride! Show me your Greatness!"

mfw every day | Nujabes - Horizon

Is this the type of world you'd like to live in? Where no one would every want to challenge themselves to be better than someone else they know of? Do you realize that this concept of 'competing' is what drives things like, technology, inventions and innovation.

Think of a company like Blizzard, in order to make a great game, you need to know what is available, what is out there and how to be better than others. What is going to get a consumer to pick you over another else? Why do you play WoW instead of any other mmo-rpg. You can argue that it's 'the best' mmo out atm. Sure, but how did it become the best... and that arguement in itself "the best" is a relative term that implys a comparitive to ALL other mmo's and concludes that WoW is "the best".

It is human nature AND it is a great thing to compete. The world would still be in the stone age if humans were just 'content to cherish what we have'. There would be no reason to change if everyone was content. Why develope a car to travel, you should be content with walking?

Bro, you need to think before you post.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't compete with anyone. When you are as awesome as I am you don't need to compete with others. Frankly with as much awesome as I contain I'm just happy to run into others on my level of awesome or higher. No need to go higher I already contain more awesome then one man should hold. So really competition is unneccesary.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bierbuikje View Post
    [I KNOW IT'S A TROLL MAGNET]It's a game but a lot of players are too fanatic
    Now be careful with those words. "its just a game, y u mad?" is possibly one of the stupidest things I've heard in my time on the internet.
    People spend their time, money and effort in this game - they want to know that their time & effort atleast achieved them what they wanted. WoW is a competetive game. Guilds strive to top PvE, arena players/teams strive to top PvP.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Now be careful with those words. "its just a game, y u mad?" is possibly one of the stupidest things I've heard in my time on the internet.
    People spend their time, money and effort in this game - they want to know that their time & effort atleast achieved them what they wanted. WoW is a competetive game. Guilds strive to top PvE, arena players/teams strive to top PvP.
    Yet it's still a game, and once the game is done what will you have left out of it? Nothing. Just because some people devote so much to it doesn't change the fact that it's simply a game and a form of entertainment that some people take too seriously. Being competitive in it is fine, but the ridiculousness that goes on with some people over things in this game is stupefying at times.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercarcher View Post
    Because this is the internet, and anonymity makes people assholes.
    second that

and also the fact that we are born to compete with others for the sake of survival

Quote Originally Posted by sicness View Post
    Yet it's still a game, and once the game is done what will you have left out of it? Nothing. Just because some people devote so much to it doesn't change the fact that it's simply a game and a form of entertainment that some people take too seriously. Being competitive in it is fine, but the ridiculousness that goes on with some people over things in this game is stupefying at times.
    The bolded parts are completely relative terms and are based solely on your oppinion. What you think is "Too Serious" "Ridiculous" and "Stupefying" are not going to be the same to the next person.

It's the same as if I said to Lebron James when he was in High School. "Dude, you take Basketball too seriously, it's just a game". Any game where there is any kind of sense of accomplishment, you will have varying degrees of "serious" players.

For WoW specifically, I play to accomplish certain things, most of which are to succeed. For a example of direct competition, when I do arena, I want to win the match. I don't just play because I like to move a character around Nagrand Arena and press a bunch of keys on my keyboard. I don't need to spend 15$ a month to press keys and move a mouse. It's what I actually am doing IN the game, I want to WIN. Thus, I do what I can to win because THAT is why I play the game.

So, if I play the game for fun(entertainment) and in the game I want to win, THEREFORE, winning = fun. Other people play the game for other reasons, whatever they are, just because you might not find it fun/entertaining, doesn't mean this person shouldn't either.
    Last edited by dyce09; 2010-11-04 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dyce09 View Post
    Is this the type of world you'd like to live in? Where no one would every want to challenge themselves to be better than someone else they know of? Do you realize that this concept of 'competing' is what drives things like, technology, inventions and innovation.

Think of a company like Blizzard, in order to make a great game, you need to know what is available, what is out there and how to be better than others. What is going to get a consumer to pick you over another else? Why do you play WoW instead of any other mmo-rpg. You can argue that it's 'the best' mmo out atm. Sure, but how did it become the best... and that arguement in itself "the best" is a relative term that implys a comparitive to ALL other mmo's and concludes that WoW is "the best".

It is human nature AND it is a great thing to compete. The world would still be in the stone age if humans were just 'content to cherish what we have'. There would be no reason to change if everyone was content. Why develope a car to travel, you should be content with walking?

Bro, you need to think before you post.
    Oh, don't you worry about me, I've done my fair share of thinking in this life and continue to do so.
    And while competition does promote certain achievements and does have its place in human life, views like yours reprobate it to senseless self-purpose. Perhaps you picked up the prases "everything in moderation" and "there's a time for everything" before?

If one day you do come at perfect contentedness and peace of mind in your life, then you can advertise competition as source of all good things. Not before, sir.

I'd like to close with an impartial observation that wherever competition is most prevalent in people's minds, they tend to come across strangely afflicted, torn, jaded, aggressive and butthurt - WoW being a wonderful example. Go figure.

The bolded parts are completely relative terms and are based solely on your oppinion. What you think is "Too Serious" "Ridiculous" and "Stupefying" are not going to be the same to the next person.

It's the same as if I said to Lebron James when he was in High School. "Dude, you take Basketball too seriously, it's just a game". Any game where there is any kind of sense of accomplishment, you will have varying degrees of "serious" players.

For WoW specifically, I play to accomplish certain things, most of which are to succeed. For a example of direct competition, when I do arena, I want to win the match. I do just play because I like to move a character around Nagrand Arena and press a bunch of keys on my keyboard. I don't need to spend 15$ a month to press keys and move a mouse. It's what I actually am doing IN the game, I want to WIN. Thus, I do what I can to win because THAT is why I play the game.

So, if I play the game for fun(entertainment) and in the game I want to win, THEREFORE, winning = fun. Other people play the game for other reasons, whatever they are, just because you might not find it fun/entertaining, doesn't mean this person shouldn't either.
    And I was generalizing my opinion with the overall opinion of the thread of most of the posters here that some people take this game too seriously. Sure it's an opinion, you're free to disagree with it, and again I never said being competitive in it is an issue. But when people get to the point where they have to stand out more than someone else because they want recognition is where it tends to go too far. While they're perfectly capable of playing the game in this way it hurts the game overall for the community when you get people behaving in this manner.

It's not a matter of wanting to win, it's a matter of wanting to try and prove yourself better than someone else in this game with something completely trivial to the best players in the game. Not about world firsts, but about downing the average boss that most good raiders down on a weekly basis. This standard that some people have in their minds that they're better than others just because they do something completely average compared to the best players in this game is what astounds me.

That in my mind is taking the game too seriously because your standards are completely obscure compared to the overall standards of the player base in the game. Again, it's just an opinion and you don't have to agree with it.

Oh, don't you worry about me, I've done my fair share of thinking in this life and continue to do so.
    And while competition does promote certain achievements and does have its place in human life, views like yours reprobate it to senseless self-purpose. Perhaps you picked up the prases "everything in moderation" and "there's a time for everything" before?

If one day you do come at perfect contentedness and peace of mind in your life, then you can advertise competition as source of all good things. Not before, sir.

I'd like to close with an impartial observation that wherever competition is most prevalent in people's minds, they tend to come across strangely afflicted, torn, jaded, aggressive and butthurt - WoW being a wonderful example. Go figure.
    I don't recall saying that "Competition is the source of all good things" as I don't. All I pointed out was that competition has given humans many benefits. Yes, I agree of "Everything in moderation" and "there's a time for everything" - both of which don't have to do with what I said. All I pointed out was that without competition - there would be no advancement in anything. So taking your phrase of "all things in moderation", as is competition. With moderation.

Now related to this thread (video games), the moderation of competition between each player in WoW is completely based on oppinions. What you think is TOO competitive is not a generic standard set amongst everyone who plays the game.

Simple, because they can get away with it.

Now, not really caring, that's the trick.

Now related to this thread (video games), the moderation of competition between each player in WoW is completely based on oppinions. What you think is TOO competitive is not a generic standard set amongst everyone who plays the game.
    I think it's safe to say that when competition leads to people being as morose, sniveling and paranoid as many WoW players are, it was too much competition for their own good.

10+ Year Old Account
    get this... Because their competetive

Quote Originally Posted by Bierbuikje View Post
    [I KNOW IT'S A TROLL MAGNET]

Why does everyone Compete to eachother? i mean if you say something you get instantly flamed with: you suck you wont get it, Like: I didn't get the Kingslayer at 10% but at 35% now u suck. Why do they do that? :P It's a game but a lot of players are too fanatic.

EDIT: Neither to troll nor flame people, just a question.
    Because those people have nothing outside of world of warcraft, they think this game is "Real" it's real to them because it tricks them into thinking they can be accepted into a social group they cannot get into outside of the game, this is why they act so irrational. Notice when you call out or corner one of these sociopaths how they lash out

---------- Post added 2010-11-04 at 07:28 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Twilightdawn View Post
    get this... Because their competetive
    ^^This idiot here is a perfect example.

I'm a 45 year old overweight pothead that still lives with his mother and never known a woman, but I got LK kill but i got kingslayer at 5%, so you all suck

I'm not competitive? :[ Stop stereotyping. :[

Edit: My statement is in response to the people saying that being competitive is in human nature. I think that it is more of the animal side/instinct of humans, so we should evolve past that soon, right? *Looks at reality TV* We're done for. :{
    Last edited by Yseran; 2010-11-04 at 07:33 PM.