Thread: Freeze

Freeze

I looked through the forums, but I didn't see anything. If there is another topic about this, please lock this one.

Note: I do not consider myself an expert Mage player, just want some suggestions.

Alright, so I was wondering if for PVE Frost, are you supposed to use the Water Elementals Freeze ability on CD? Right now I have been using it whenever I go long periods without a FoF charge (which is not often) or as an opening.

For an Opening I use:

Freeze for 2 charges.
    Deep Freeze + Icy Veins
    Cold Snap
    Mirror Image for the threat reduction
    Deep Freeze again.
    Then Icy Veins when it goes off.

I was just wondering if Freeze should be used on CD because I wasn't sure if it was worth it to use an AoE target while trying to juggle other spells. I'm still trying to get used to using it while moving too for FoF charges.
    Last edited by Physi; 2010-11-04 at 03:54 PM.

It sounds like you click your spells.

If you keybind, clicking the AoE target reticle on the ground is not disruptive to your rotation.

To answer the question, yes, Freeze should be used on CD. Guaranteed 2 charges of FoF is too good to pass up, especially when you can Freeze while casting (as your pet is technically casting it).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhaenis View Post
    It sounds like you click your spells.
    This

Keybind, never turn back. I know this thread will eventually form into a clicker vs. keybind thing, but let it be known keybinds are superior.

Deleted
    You're right you should use Freeze whenever it's off CD (use up your current FOF charges first otherwise they're wasted).

A couple of things:

1) Use Cold Snap after Icy veins. It removes the CD from icy veins so once per fight you can use Icy veins twice in fast sucession. For best results try using soon after icy veins.. but also after Deep Freeze.. so you benefit both. (at 85 this'll also count for Frostfireorb! )

2) It is nice that you can cast freeze (I suggest making a macro '/cast Freeze' and it will recognise you want to cast your pet's spell but you can put it on YOUR action bars, not your pet's) whilst you yourself are midcast! Yes - whilst casting frostbolt, midcast, you can press Freeze macro and cast freeze to get the 2 FOF procs up without interupting your own rotation at all.. then Deep freeze icelance straight after.

I'm actually wondering if it's better to hold off on freeze for guaranteed deep freezing. You'd have to make some assumptions in order to do the math (meaning use a worst case scenerio for waiting after DF comes off CD), but given the DF glyph change you may not necessarily want to use freeze on CD. Does using two IL's a little sooner compare to using a deep freeze and an IL slightly later? I tend to lean in the "wait for DF" direction, especially with a 20% FoF proc rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Physi View Post
    For an Opening I use:

Freeze for 2 charges.
    Deep Freeze + Icy Veins
    Cold Snap
    Mirror Image for the threat reduction
    Deep Freeze again.
    Then Icy Veins when it goes off.

I was just wondering if Freeze should be used on CD because I wasn't sure if it was worth it to use an AoE target while trying to juggle other spells. I'm still trying to get used to using it while moving too for FoF charges.
    Just want to point out that with 4-piece T10, you should have Mirror Images up before the first DF to get the bonus damage on both of them - just cast Freeze during the GCD from Mirror Images. I have tended to save Freeze to ensure usage of DF on cooldown (think of it this way, if the best case scenario occurs and DF comes off cooldown when you have a FoF charge naturally -> you can DF then /cast Freeze and get 2 FoF-Ice Lances to follow. If Freeze is on CD and you have no FoF charges when DF comes off CD, you can sit there for awhile without using DF, which is a dps loss. Gotta hate RNG for making things so situational :P)

Quote Originally Posted by Skarrd View Post
    I'm actually wondering if it's better to hold off on freeze for guaranteed deep freezing. You'd have to make some assumptions in order to do the math (meaning use a worst case scenerio for waiting after DF comes off CD), but given the DF glyph change you may not necessarily want to use freeze on CD. Does using two IL's a little sooner compare to using a deep freeze and an IL slightly later? I tend to lean in the "wait for DF" direction, especially with a 20% FoF proc rate.
    Most theorycrafters are saying to hold off on Freeze if your DF is close to coming off CD. How long is close? Well who knows with the reduced proc chance of FoF. I'm sure the math is still being worked out on that one.