Thread: PVP Shadow

PVP Shadow

Having a bit of fun playing Shadow in PVP atm.

Could someone, who is in the know, tell me a good sure spec for shadow pvping.

And what are good stats? I know the spell pen at 130 resil etc. Haste is equally important?

Haste is pretty important, because all your dots including SW:P are affected by it, but even more so, Crit is pretty important as well.

Crit will cause your Paralize talent to proc, lower the cooldown on your Shadow Fiend, and your spells just hit harder now because of the resil change.

As far as a spec, the talents are there. Just read them. You'll figure out pretty quickly what pvp talents are "essencial"

80 Kingslayer Shadow Priest - Spirestone
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...e&n=Direshadow

Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

Quote Originally Posted by Vook View Post
    lol'd

OT: Learn the purpose of mastery and then spec properly according to your knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumthex View Post
    lol'd

OT: Learn the purpose of mastery and then spec properly according to your knowledge.
    Mastery on live sucks for both pvp and pve. Crit and haste should pull out ahead and you shouldn't reforge to mastery in its current state.

This is the spec I run with:

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#bcZZGMGzMkrddfo:skMkoV

I choose to run without fade because I feel there are better points to spend and fade hasn't saved me life enough for me to take it. If you do love fade you can take points out of paralysis or sin and punishment. SaP is bugged atm and wont fear you if someone else dispel off you and paralysis for me does not proc enough and it has not saved my life or provided any significant in pvp (for me). I have 20% crit atm and 33% haste.
    Last edited by zito; 2010-11-05 at 07:41 PM.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

lol'd
    What's so funny?
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

This is the spec I am running on my shadow priest Beanflicker (thunderhorn) http://www.wowhead.com/talent#bcZZGMGdMkrddco:RkMobkVz0

Obviously to each thier own, but I do not Velid shadows because you really never run out of mana with Masocism and Glyph of Spirit Tap. I also do not spec into Sin and Puishment because there is not that much dispeling in BG's and again I do not really ever need more mana. I would strongly recomend running the Mass Dispel Glyph though, it is Awesome for pallies and mages. It is also good to free you comrades when a frost dk freezes everyone.

Like I said though to each thier own, this spec has been working good for me though. The way I fight pallies (since i dont have S&P) is to dot up, silence, hit um with MB,MF, then PH, DP,MF, Fear bomb him, then MB SWD SWD him.[COLOR="red"]

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Mastery on live sucks for both pvp and pve. Crit and haste should pull out ahead and you shouldn't reforge to mastery in its current state.

This is the spec I run with:

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#bcZZGMGzMkrddfo:skMkoV

I choose to run without fade because I feel there are better points to spend and fade hasn't saved me life enough for me to take it. If you do love fade you can take points out of paralysis or sin and punishment. SaP is bugged atm and wont fear you if someone else dispel off you and paralysis for me does not proc enough and it has not saved my life or provided any significant in pvp (for me). I have 20% crit atm and 33% haste.
    Ofc it sucks....tell it to my 25k mbs in pve targets/13k in targets like locks with resilience.I have 17% mastery 28% haste 17% crit. Ah, and 1276 resi. And i feel like a truck.Also the haste stuck after a point doesn't scale good.I 've tried with 31,5% haste before turning to mastery and that was +- 0,1 sec gain in my dots/Mf...that really can't save it. Also each point in mastery multiples all ur shadow damage for an amount.

I think now you can choose how to play.Try different ways, each way has its own + & - .

Quote Originally Posted by Versus View Post
    Ofc it sucks....tell it to my 25k mbs in pve targets/13k in targets like locks with resilience.I have 17% mastery 28% haste 17% crit. Ah, and 1276 resi. And i feel like a truck.Also the haste stuck after a point doesn't scale good.I 've tried with 31,5% haste before turning to mastery and that was +- 0,1 sec gain in my dots/Mf...that really can't save it. Also each point in mastery multiples all ur shadow damage for an amount.

I think now you can choose how to play.Try different ways, each way has its own + & - .
    The fact that you have an actual opportunity to MB frequently enough means you are not being targeted period or you are just following the crowd so you are not targeted.

Killing people who pvp in pve doesn't really count since well its pve and pvp gear was made for a reason. And since you are 17% crit im going to assume you're 13k mind blast crits on resilience targets doesn't happen often. Crit and Haste will always pull out ahead right now because it affects every other spell we have. You are focusing on just MB alone which is not good.

Ofc it sucks....tell it to my 25k mbs in pve targets/13k in targets like locks with resilience.
    Mitigation varies. Your 25k PVE MB would hit me for at most 8k as disc or even 5k if Focused Will is stacked (and actually even less unless you're spell pen capped or dispelled my shadow prot and there's no resistance aura / totem in range), which I'd grant would be more than a tickle. But given you're only going to get that crit on average 1 in 6 times, and the amount of time it takes to generate those orbs, I think the point of some other posters is that boosting mastery for very, very infrequent (but useful when you do get it) damage bursts isn't worth it if you're trading out a lot of continuous pressure.
    Last edited by Bigslick; 2010-11-06 at 12:22 AM.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslick View Post
    Mitigation varies. Your 25k PVE MB would hit me for at most 8k as disc or even 5k if Focused Will is stacked (and actually even less unless you're spell pen capped or dispelled my shadow prot and there's no resistance aura / totem in range), which I'd grant would be more than a tickle. But given you're only going to get that crit on average 1 in 6 times, and the amount of time it takes to generate those orbs, I think the point of some other posters is that boosting mastery for very, very infrequent (but useful when you do get it) damage bursts isn't worth it if you're trading out a lot of continuous pressure.
    Pretty much this^ Mastery might give you big numbers on MB but that's a bit RNG. with my 20% crit I barley crit at all I even tested my chances to crit on resilence geared players and barlye saw anything crit.

Mastery in its current state is to inconsistent (more inconsistent then crit) and haste and crit benefit everything else, mastery just benefits MB. And when I mean everything else I also mean your heals, your cast times, your GCD and a lot more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Look up Talbadar on Blackrock. He is probably the best Spriest in the world.

Salinelol is the only other person even close.

lol'd

Laughing at someone's idea of a spec is pretty pointless these days. The only thing i'd change about the spec Vook posted is taking two points out of Paralasys and putting them into Pain and Suffering. This is only because at this point, Paralasys is unreliable pre-85.

80 Kingslayer Shadow Priest - Spirestone
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...e&n=Direshadow

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    The fact that you have an actual opportunity to MB frequently enough means you are not being targeted period or you are just following the crowd so you are not targeted.

Killing people who pvp in pve doesn't really count since well its pve and pvp gear was made for a reason. And since you are 17% crit im going to assume you're 13k mind blast crits on resilience targets doesn't happen often. Crit and Haste will always pull out ahead right now because it affects every other spell we have. You are focusing on just MB alone which is not good.
    The opportunity to Mb could be after a well timed silence or horror or fear.It is very easy with since most ppl often Cs the fake cast in Vt ,to begin with.I continue with that you said "you are not being targeted period or you are just following the crowd so you are not targeted" , actually to make it work properly you need 3 orbs.So if just following the crowd or not being targeted you can't be that easy full orbs. In my case i'm "asking" them to target me just to to get the orbs. It is just too easy to LoS and outheal things even as a shadow. Also in bg is team vs team, it's not you vs the world.
    About numbers.The truth is with 17% crit no it isn't so often.But with resi not affecting crit chance it is more often than you think it is.
    Again, i don't say don't put haste. But in our case ,that 3% haste does not make that huge difference. ~ 0,1 sec... man really can't save you (and i tested it).
    Hell i put double dmg in my heavy nuke."You are focusing on just MB alone which is not good" no i am not.I just can find a place to shot it when i must do.Even in duels you can after CC.And 100% after dispertion is 3 orbs. There you can shot it fr sure in a duel,and that wins many times.
    Yy in the migitation thing.In my disci gear i run 1600 resi.Again i can dispel when i see something i don't like.And if ypou play with equal resilience you don't have better migitation than 25% soul link of a lock.Focused will stack up 2 times giving 16%.Dispelable i say.So how the hell the 8k goes 5k from a 16% migitation.8 goes about 7.Also why you think i won't dispel a disci priest especially in case i hit a heavy nuke where i want to make it hurt. 11k number was in a rl friend lock with 1200+ resi+ sl.The demon took much dmg too.The 10-11k was on him only.

But ofc that is me, my opinion.You have absolute right to disagree and i'm happy you did. I 'll call again it depends on playstyle.The thing i don't know is...if you play Crit,what's in for it? Haven't tried that. Also I'm always talking PvP wise.
    Last edited by mmoc1861945c2b; 2010-11-06 at 12:38 PM.

Yy in the migitation thing.In my disci gear i run 1600 resi.Again i can dispel when i see something i don't like.And if ypou play with equal resilience you don't have better migitation than 25% soul link of a lock.Focused will stack up 2 times giving 16%.
    Assuming everyone aims for the resilience a lock uses is faulty. Locks won't cap resilience - your example is at 1200 - as it gimps their damage output too much. For healers it can be a great goal, and I run BG's just shy of 1900, sitting near cap. So to make up the 25% SL from a lock? 6% Inner Focus, 2% meta, & 12% FW yields right at 19% (assuming it's multiplicative, 20% otherwise) and resilience a healer can afford to invest in covers the balance.

Point remains the same, though, regarding the value of emphasizing mastery at 80. Yes, you will have a bigger burst tool to close a kill by focusing on mastery. But it's like choosing to fill your baseball team's roster with one powerful slugger who can hit the ball to the moon and the rest mediocre hitters versus all fairly solid hitters: you can raise your hopes every time sluggo gets to bat (and at 16% crit he's no Babe Ruth), but if there aren't runners on base or if he just hits it deep left then you're left with nothing from that investment till the next time he cycles through with 3 orbs. The more balanced team where all the players are capable of more doubles and HR's, and round the bases faster, will win more games. They'll have more continuous power by which to drive the enemy into execute range and then bam, SWD x 2 as your pinch hitter.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslick View Post
    Assuming everyone aims for the resilience a lock uses is faulty. Locks won't cap resilience - your example is at 1200 - as it gimps their damage output too much. For healers it can be a great goal, and I run BG's just shy of 1900, sitting near cap. So to make up the 25% SL from a lock? 6% Inner Focus, 2% meta, & 12% FW yields right at 19% (assuming it's multiplicative, 20% otherwise) and resilience a healer can afford to invest in covers the balance.

Point remains the same, though, regarding the value of emphasizing mastery at 80. Yes, you will have a bigger burst tool to close a kill by focusing on mastery. But it's like choosing to fill your baseball team's roster with one powerful slugger who can hit the ball to the moon and the rest mediocre hitters versus all fairly solid hitters: you can raise your hopes every time sluggo gets to bat (and at 16% crit he's no Babe Ruth), but if there aren't runners on base or if he just hits it deep left then you're left with nothing from that investment till the next time he cycles through with 3 orbs. The more balanced team where all the players are capable of more doubles and HR's, and round the bases faster, will win more games. They'll have more continuous power by which to drive the enemy into execute range and then bam, SWD x 2 as your pinch hitter.
    Nice post.That is true.But not everyone is a healer to run with that high resi.In my healing gear i run too much resi too.Anyway , i'm talking with the point of view i have enough haste, close to max i can get with full pvp gear without sacrificing other things in a point they'll suck.In my eyes dots ticking 2,2 or 2,3 (example) is minor.If the point was dots & flay ticking 2,2 from 2,5 while full mastery ofc haste gets priority.That's why i say it is my opinion not the correct option or the wrong 1. Told ya depends on playstyle. Also i said it is not wrong or impossible if it matches to your style to play with mastery.And i read my post too, seems i overdid it a little to set examples. I can say it more clear then.
    If you don't sacrifice stats,to make them worthless or if you see you have a gap and your haste+ sp+ defences fanctioning already well then put as mastery you have space to put. Anyway in next patch(?) mastery changes and will affect dots also.So it will become more appealing.