Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question a way to keep legendaries relevant post expansion?

I don't know if someone has suggested this before anywhere, but it seems to me that people/guilds put a lot of effort into legendary weapons and it might be nice if they retained some use. If they got a click effect that would produce a unique-equipped gem that you could place into another weapon, perhaps with better stats than other gems, or that gem could imbue the new weapon with the legendary proc, it might be a nice way to keep these weapons relevant and recognize the amount of work that went into them in some lasting way.

What do people think? Would this be overpowered in some way i'm not seeing? Or go against the game ethos too severely?

legendary items are supposed to become useless after a while, just forget about them....

If that was the case, They would still become out of date; A nice gem for a different item or something would be good but overtime you realize your Legendary has 50 less DPS then that [Monkey Scythe of the Whale] green that dropped last Stonecore run.

Unlii, BoA is actually a great idea; If you got it before the release of Cata, it should become a BoA (retaining its current stat value for the level at 80 and 81 and maybe towards 82 and 83 being = to a good boa ,and towards 85 it becoming a BoA you really want to replace)

Less numbers since people get waaaaay waaaaay too oversensitive to that kind of thing, more utility. Atiesh created a portal to karazhan, needs more stuff like that.
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

http://mhkeehn.tripod.com/trashcan.jpg
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...s/carville.jpe

For once, Carville was a man ahead of his time.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unlii View Post
    BoA
    This would be really cool actually.

Quote Originally Posted by thret View Post
    I don't know if someone has suggested this before anywhere, but it seems to me that people/guilds put a lot of effort into legendary weapons and it might be nice if they retained some use. If they got a click effect that would produce a unique-equipped gem that you could place into another weapon, perhaps with better stats than other gems, or that gem could imbue the new weapon with the legendary proc, it might be a nice way to keep these weapons relevant and recognize the amount of work that went into them in some lasting way.

What do people think? Would this be overpowered in some way i'm not seeing? Or go against the game ethos too severely?
    they dont want legendaries to be useful in the long term, it would get boring sing the same weapon over and over again, the only sesnible solution is to make them BoA, but seeing a level one running around with shadowmourne or the warglaives wouldnt make much sense

Deleted
    They're becoming vital to certain guild achievements so i'd say that's making them useful post-expansion.

I'll be honest, I like them the way they are now, I don't like the idea of getting a single item and still using it in 4 expansions times because they upped the stats on it to match that content.

BoA Heirloom idea isn't too bad though but i'll refine it:

I'd remove the Account binding and have it only for the character it's earned on but still work as an Heirloom does, levelling up with the player. Let's use shadowmourne as an example the item would start as a level 80 item (Of course since it can't be earned before that) and as the player levels up it will level up too to be above the ability of that levels greens and at the ability of the blues but with it's own special equip procs. When the player reaches raiding content is when the usefulness of the legendary will drop off as it won't offer the stats the raid epics drop.
    Last edited by mmocad4cdebfc1; 2010-11-06 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Refined my post.

I agree, legendaries are great, but they are a repesentation of completely beating a specific raid. They have strong lore associated with it. They are already so good that they last well into the next or next two tiers of raiding. As said during Blizzcon...A big part of the game is getting new gear. Just because you replace it doesnt mean it has to be destroyed either.

I've always felt they should become heirlooms that always level when you level. They should be as strong as any end game content dungeon drop, but not quite as strong as any end game content heroic dungeon drop. A little stronger than the heirlooms you can get with justice points.

Deleted
    Most people forget BoA is not the same as Heirloom.

Making them BoA would allow you to use them on other characters for a few levels only. Would be ok I guess.

Keeping them relevant in future expansions would suck in one aspect: if they are relevant they are needed for minmaxing, and it would mean you'd have to go and farm old content once again so you can maximize your output for new content. So, after one year of ICC, more years of ICC for those melee DPSers that don't have Shadowmorne yet... Or Ulduar every week even though your lvl 90 as every healer still needs Val'anyr.

No thanks.
    Last edited by mmoc65abbb9d83; 2010-11-06 at 12:26 AM.

Imo they should be useful only that expansion and then they will be replaceable the next. Then the only point in getting it later would be for FoS.
    I dont think BoA is a good idea because its not an "can be used by all classes" so if its shadow mourn, so who wouldnt want it? even healers would want to take it so they can use it on their alts. (i said shadowmourne, the weap that was in use for a few months then its pointless)
    makeing it heirloom....... no just no that would be too OP, and it would ruin the "rare" of the legendary, i would start farming them if they were to be heirloom/BoA
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.”

they said at blizzcon that they didn't want to make them BoA or Heirlooms, simply because lowlvles/twinks would feel that they had to grind it on the lvl 80 to get at the desired lvl.. and yeah legendaries are more of a feat, not necessarily something super OP for the rest of the game

I love the idea of giving all legendaries some nice utility to make them relevent for after their level has passed. But I agree with Blizzard, no piece of gear should last forever, even legendaries. Atiesh had a nice ability for those with it for early BC. Thunderfury and Hand of Ragnaros could have something very similar, teleporting a group to the Fireland's raid or Uldum's elemental raid. (Forgot name, possibly throne of elements)
    Warglaives could transform the person into Illidan for 10 min on use if both are equiped. Shadowmourne could do the same, but transform the wielder into the Lich king for a bit, and change to frostmourne.

They would still give some relevance to that weapons that people put their time and effort into this way, without making them the permenat weapon of those who acquire it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakurachan5 View Post
    I love the idea of giving all legendaries some nice utility to make them relevent for after their level has passed. But I agree with Blizzard, no piece of gear should last forever, even legendaries. Atiesh had a nice ability for those with it for early BC. Thunderfury and Hand of Ragnaros could have something very similar, teleporting a group to the Fireland's raid or Uldum's elemental raid. (Forgot name, possibly throne of elements)
    Warglaives could transform the person into Illidan for 10 min on use if both are equiped. Shadowmourne could do the same, but transform the wielder into the Lich king for a bit, and change to frostmourne.

They would still give some relevance to that weapons that people put their time and effort into this way, without making them the permenat weapon of those who acquire it.
    Not that much time and effort has gone into any legendaries since vanilla. The only effort now is having a bit of initial gold for smourne and showing up to raid, and everyone that got a mourne made money off it if they wanted to.

They already added the guild achievement for having all the legendaries to get the mega awesome mount. I think thats good enough imo.

Legendaries don't need to stay relevant later on, they cause enough balance issues as it is.

Bind on account legendaries are a HORRIBLE idea, not to mention its like having a white, black friend.

Trash
    Common
    Uncommon
    Rare
    Epic
    Legendary
    Bind on account

This is how blizzard displays item quality in its game, you cannot have a legendary bind on account item, it is either one or it is another. Bind on account items are specifically geared towards "hand me downs" or passing along outdated gear towards lower level characters. Legendaries come and go but you MUST let them "go" or they will never be legendary in the first place. Not to mention world of warcraft is a game of uprading your character, a weapon you never upgrade would certainly detract from that no matter how much you THINK you want to use your legendary item forever. You honestly do not

It isn't going to happen, stop trying to make it happen.

I have a Thunderfury and Sulfuras. If I want to use them I will use them when I'm bored and screwing around. If I want to improve my character I will raid. I would much rather work for upgrades than recycle an old item.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes this has been mentioned before. Blizzard has stated on numerous occasions they are supposed to become obsolete.
    Also the "work" required for legendaries in Wrath and BC did not in any way measure up to the requirements for legendaries
    in vanilla. If anything it would be nice to see legendaries that were very very difficult to get. Direct drops no matter how low the percentage does not qualify. Collecting frequently dropped components does not qualify.