Smile Best RET/HOLY specs for a NEW Paladin player?

Alright so my friend gave me his account, I now have a paladin with terrible gear. I'm not worried because of Cata. I've leveled a paladin 1-70 before,
    but looking at the paladin now, its totally different and I have no clue what to do.

What is the best damage spec for PvE?
    What is the best healing spec for PvE?

Any extra tips like rotation or anything would be totally helpful, thanks!

Cookie cutter lvl 80 ret spec

For "tips" for ret play, you can lurk through old posts, check the stickies or roll over to Elitistjerks.com and lurk the ret thread.

Retpaladin.com is also a good site for tips and such

10+ Year Old Account
    Mmm cookies...

Er to be honest it isn't hard anymore, just look at the talents trees and use common sense, there no longer /is/ a wrong 'spec' because they're all either very obvious choices or minor alterations to play style, All viable in their own way...

Retribution

On rotation though It's a little easier. Right now on Live? Divine storm sucks big time. I'd recommend at least 5 targets in the vicinity before using the full 3 holy power charged attack...and even then thats likely only to happen in Icecrown citadel...

For single Target... If the creature is far from you, Judge that bastard and run with your nifty new mini sprint and then start whacking away with crusader strike...
    Once charged to full 3 Holy Power let a Templar's verdict go...

Cataclysm will include Inquisition into the fold as you'll likely put that one first before forming a rotation around keeping that up and Templars verdict.

At all other cooldown times, Judgement and Exorcism should be used. If desperate to fill something, Holy Wrath is there as well.

Popping wings will also make the fun hammer ready and waiting to be used at any health percentage and should be prioritized also, (it's good right after a full TV, as something you can follow up with and then get back to stacking crusader strikes)

You have to watch carefully though as sometimes Exorcism and Judgment can proc Holy Power without warning so have your finger ready and waiting on the Templar's verdict button the second it fills.

Holy

Common sense man. Common Sense.
    Last edited by Aqua; 2010-11-06 at 03:30 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aqua View Post
    Holy

Common sense man. Common Sense.
    you'd be surprised how hard it really is for some folk.

Quote Originally Posted by Elamahpla View Post
    Cookie cutter lvl 80 ret spec

For "tips" for ret play, you can lurk through old posts, check the stickies or roll over to Elitistjerks.com and lurk the ret thread.
    Not really cookie cutter at all.

There's still debate between 5/0/31 and 2/3/31 according the EJ thread early tests show 5/0/31 to be an increase, but take it with a grain of salt. Acts of Sacrifice is bad. Selfless Healer, Guardian's Favor or even Divinity are better choices.

The spec I run with: http://www.wowhead.com/talent#sbhZZsbGsbksbfz

Rationale: Divine Storm sucks, so much. The only time you'd even really need it right now is for trash, who cares about trash. 1/2 in EfaE? Yes, it provides a slight, but real dps increase that the point in Divine Storm does not on many boss fights.

No Repentance? Yep, it might prove very slightly useful in Cata heroics, but it strikes me as one of the worst CCs in game due only to it's 1 minute CD, break that CC early and it's all over.

Selfless healer. You're a hybrid, get used to it. This talent provides a really nice boost to WoG, I'm hitting for around 15k with it on others, not only that but the damage increase is great for not losing out on too much dps. A wonderful talent.