15+ Year Old Account

[Beta] Question about healing coeficent

Sorry if i'm asking a question that has been already answered, but i found some really strange numbers on the Beta.

Renew on my main live - ticks for 3500 (my priest has 3800 spell power unbuffed)
    Renew on the purple beta char - ticks for 3000 (with 7000 spell power unbuffed)

The question is: is it normal that with th3 double of Spell power the spell are healing nearly the same as live?
    Coeficents broken? Intended?

Colle

Update: As harky points out below, new developments have happened in the linked thread, making this... incorrect.

It's quite a change from live to beta, actually.

In live content, all spells have their own coefficients. The coefficients are given based on factors such as cast time, number of targets, whether it is a heal, moonphase, mood of the developer implementing it, quirky acts of balance, diminishing returns and the political climate in Bhutan. Noone really understands the rules that make up the coefficients, we just use them. The output of a heal is given as

output = (base + (spellpower * coefficient)) * multipliers
    This made some spells rather useless in the beginning of expansions due to very low base damage, but extremely powerful at the end of expansions due to high scaling (Renew qualifies as this). But on the flipside, some spells had a high base damage and low coefficient, making them virtually useless at the end of expansions (circle of healing and mind blast says hello). On the beta, this has changed to something different, with spellpower working more like a rating. At lvl 85, every 8370 spellpower will double your output.

output = base * (1+(spellpower/8370)) * multipliers
    This means that all spells basically scale with base damage, making the base damage quite important. I believe most people shrugged about the change where base damage of binding heal went up by a few hundred hp (15% or so?). But this basically meant that the output of the spell increased by 15% all over the board. And that's pretty major.

On the upside; this means that your relative power will remain the same all through all expansions. If your Flash Heal heals for 2x the amount of a Heal today, so it will when clad in Tier20 gear. You don't really have to adjust your spell selections based on spellpower anymore, which makes life easier. It also prevents the major scaling issues we've seen spells have in WoTLK (spriests ccan probably attest to this!).

On the downside: 1 spellpower don't linearly increase your DPS by 1 damage every 3.5 (and HPS by 1 every 1 seconds) seconds anymore, making scaling calculations harder. For some spells, this also means your output has been lowered. For other spells, this means the output has been increased. Also, levelling up means you suddenly do less damage, because your spellpower is suddenly less worth. However; base spell damage will increase to offset this, but it's still just as annoying as spirit in this aspect. Levelup = less regen.

Source: http://elitistjerks.com/f77/t105330-...rycrafting/p4/
    There is a lot of things still not quite following this rule, as seen in the EJ thread. But I believe this will be the rule once things have stabilized. Unless someone just reverts it again :P
    Last edited by Danner; 2010-11-06 at 03:28 PM.

Euw, Danner, always read the rest of the post. It is not 8370 for all spells at all. The current formula tossed around is:

Code:
    H = Base * ( 1 + Spellpower / k )
    The k value is not the same for most spells at all. More importantly the value k changes based on how much Spellpower you have. This means the formula is most likely invalid. This is very likely as DPS spells are still functioning identically to pre-4.0 and scale factors are in fact very easy to predict. The main assumption, which is more or less confirmed, is that Spellpower scaling on heals was changed, but the formula was not.

For instance, in regard to the OP. Can you show us a parse or recount SS with your Renew ticking for 3.5k on live? 3.5k most likely means you're in ICC and raid buffed, meaning much more than 3800 SP. That's about the ticks I get in ICC on Live and that's with over 4500 SP.

If it is what I'm assuming this means that with 4.5k+ SP and a +30% healing buff you are healing for 3,500. This is ~2.7k outside of ICC. This also means there is a 2,500 SP difference, which with Renew's ~52% scaling is +1,300 healing. The base value is also 128 higher. So I would be expecting ticks for 3.1k as compared to your 2.7k or lower on live.

If you can show something with your Renew ticking for 3.5k outside of ICC please do, because that's actually higher than my average inside ICC.

Meh. Hadn't read that thread in almost a week, sorry for misisng the latest developments. Thanks for pointing out the developments, harky.

Also: WTB a beta account so I can play around figuring out these things for myself. So hard to rely on hearsay in these matters.