Clipping vs wasting 10-20 energy vs letting rip fall off

I've been testing out feral kitty(I'm very interested in playing in cata), however this is a problem I come across every so often, where I generate 10 Combo points in ~14 seconds, leaving 2 seconds remaining, with 100 energy(due to clearcast procs), and SR with ~30 seconds still..in this case do you clip, waste the energy, or let rip fall off and Ferocious bite? {You'd be clipping a TF Rip for a non-TF rip}.

What I was thinking is, just waste the combo points from a shred, and then apply rip... but I wanted to hear other kitties opinions, and what you do in this situation.

Thanks for your time!

15+ Year Old Account
    there's no 'clipping' anymore. if you refresh a dot after the penultimate tick but before the last tick, the last tick will occur anyway. if you are so full of energy, shred more.

Deleted
    Didn't they remove dot clipping in 4.0?

Edit; SoulPoetry is right

Well, I'm aware that dot clipping was removed, however wouldn't the last tick be weakened from the TF rip? Or does the +15% damage from TF go away the second TF wears off? I don't have a full grasp on the new dot system.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    DoTs/HoTs update each tick with your stats
    goes great with 7-Up!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshimiko View Post
    Well, I'm aware that dot clipping was removed, however wouldn't the last tick be weakened from the TF rip? Or does the +15% damage from TF go away the second TF wears off? I don't have a full grasp on the new dot system.
    i'm not sure as feral isnt my main anymore, but its easy to test. 5 cp - tf - rip, watch damage as TF wears off, and then clip it without tf, look at combat log.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagrams View Post
    this is not true for tiger's fury atm

it's been reported as a bug but currently rip and rake get the +15% for their full duration if TF was up when rip/rake were applied.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihir View Post
    this is not true for tiger's fury atm

it's been reported as a bug but currently rip and rake get the +15% for their full duration if TF was up when rip/rake were applied.
    If it is a bug, then I guess we should not stress too much about being perfect with our rip/rake applications as soon as TF is off CD, since it will be changing?
    And if it is fixed, might it increase the value of the TF glyph?

Quote Originally Posted by Seagrams View Post
    Hasn't it always been that they DON'T update?

As far as SW:P was concerned prior to 4.0.1 the only stat it updated with each tick was Spellpower. If you popped a Wild Magic pot before applying it it had an extra 200 crit during the whole fight.
    Not sure how DoTs are working at the moment really =(

Quote Originally Posted by VirtuousX View Post
    Hasn't it always been that they DON'T update?
    This used to be the case, but the updated DoT system was one of the talking points of 4.0.1. Before 4.0.1 (iirc) there were a few dots that could adjust their performance from tick to tick, but the vast majority, including the really important ones (SWP was a major culprit) maintained their original 'stats'.
    They when the big pre-cata patch came out, they made all dots scale dynamically, from tick to tick, so that they could make all dots scale with things like haste and crit, and help balance out stat weightings for dot-heavy classes.

"It turns out the only signature he needed was my fist! ... But with a pen in it ... that i was signing with."

Quote Originally Posted by SoulPoetry View Post
    there's no 'clipping' anymore. if you refresh a dot after the penultimate tick but before the last tick, the last tick will occur anyway. if you are so full of energy, shred more.
    penultimate - wow I actually learned something today from mmo forums
    thanks Soulpoetry

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CallMeKitty View Post
    If it is a bug, then I guess we should not stress too much about being perfect with our rip/rake applications as soon as TF is off CD, since it will be changing?
    And if it is fixed, might it increase the value of the TF glyph?
    if it is indeed a bug to be fixed, and tigers fury dynamically upscales your DoTS while active, I CERTAINLY would choose it as my third glyph. Berserk is a nice choice too, but there are concerns about being able to spend all your energy while it lasts.

---------- Post added 2010-11-10 at 11:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshimiko View Post
    I've been testing out feral kitty(I'm very interested in playing in cata), however this is a problem I come across every so often, where I generate 10 Combo points in ~14 seconds, leaving 2 seconds remaining, with 100 energy(due to clearcast procs), and SR with ~30 seconds still..in this case do you clip, waste the energy, or let rip fall off and Ferocious bite? {You'd be clipping a TF Rip for a non-TF rip}.

What I was thinking is, just waste the combo points from a shred, and then apply rip... but I wanted to hear other kitties opinions, and what you do in this situation.

Thanks for your time!
    What you have to ask yourself is, can you instead do a ferocious bite, and then re-apply rip quickly after it drops? If tigers fury is available then this should not be a problem as you can rebuild those 5 CP for rip straight after dropping a FB. However if you drop the FB and misjudge how long it'll take you to get those 5 CP's back, rip may go for a long period un-applied to the target, thus costing you more dps in the long run. Bear in mind that it's not the end of the world if rip drops off... let's say you lose rip for 4 seconds - no problem, a ferocious bite does more damage than 2 rip ticks. Lose rip for any longer and you'll probably lose DPS.

As for continuing to shred instead of clipping rip or using FB, I do not know. All I can tell you is i'm a sucker for the people at Elitist Jerks, and calculator programs, to work this crap out for me!

Last edited by Will; 2010-11-10 at 11:34 PM.