Setting the price on an item

Can someone explain this concept to me or point me in the right direction? I consider myself pretty decent at playing the AH but this has never made sense to me. Is this only for mats with small amounts? I.E. You can't do it with cloth because 10 people come along and undercut you. You can't just re-list your stuff at the same price and expect it to sell. I'm under the impression that the big money guys have one set price that they always list their items for. I do it the exact opposite. I buy all the cheap stuff and list it right under the next "gap" in prices. Like if there is copper ore 75s and below per piece, and then a gap up to 1.5g per piece, I'll buy all the 75s and list it at 1.49g. (Provided there isn't a ton and I think it will all sell)

The one thing that annoys me is when people use auctionator/auctioneer to automatically undercut the lowest... without even double checking to see if it makes sense. Back when I was selling mageweave cloth... there was like 5 stacks of 20 at 99s apiece... then 1 stack of 3 for 20s apiece... and someone put up 12 stacks of 20 at 19s99c/each to undercut the single stack of 3....
    It was a nice profit margin for me but a real pain in the ass since it took even longer to sell out all my cloth with his added to mine lol

Quote Originally Posted by taekvideo View Post
    The one thing that annoys me is when people use auctionator/auctioneer to automatically undercut the lowest... without even double checking to see if it makes sense. Back when I was selling mageweave cloth... there was like 5 stacks of 20 at 99s apiece... then 1 stack of 3 for 20s apiece... and someone put up 12 stacks of 20 at 19s99c/each to undercut the single stack of 3....
    It was a nice profit margin for me but a real pain in the ass since it took even longer to sell out all my cloth with his added to mine lol
    That never ceases to bother me. You can always tell the people who don't bother to keep their auction addon updated to daily prices, because they'll post huge batches of some item at a hilarious undercut of, say... 40%.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    That never ceases to bother me. You can always tell the people who don't bother to keep their auction addon updated to daily prices, because they'll post huge batches of some item at a hilarious undercut of, say... 40%.
    Don't let this stuff bother you, laugh at it, its money in the bank! If someone's listing at 60% of market value I pretty much buy them out automatically and either relist immediately for profit or wait till the proper time to do so.
    Last edited by Bricolage; 2010-11-09 at 08:50 AM. Reason: minor grammar error bugging me
    100 Rogue | 100 Priest | 93 Monk | 91 Druid | 91 Shaman | 90 Warrior | 90 Mage | 90 Hunter | 90 DK | 87 Warlock | 86 Pally

15+ Year Old Account
    Know what something is worth and how much in demand it is. You can't always get it right, but if you keep on trying you will get better at putting things up at a price that people are willing to pay. As far as undercutting is concerned, sometimes it is good to buy out the stupidly cheap stuff, and sometimes the risk isn't worth the reward.
    For the Alliance!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaiwyn View Post
    Know what something is worth and how much people are willing to pay.
    Auctioneer Addon is your best friend for this.
    100 Rogue | 100 Priest | 93 Monk | 91 Druid | 91 Shaman | 90 Warrior | 90 Mage | 90 Hunter | 90 DK | 87 Warlock | 86 Pally

Quote Originally Posted by Bricolage View Post
    Auctioneer Addon is your best friend for this.
    I have to say i hate auctioneer, never used it and i make tons of gold without problem. But there are clueless people who would make no gold without that addon who just dont deserve the income they get from it. People complain about easy epics, but this is even worse. They should remove this addon like they removed the addon that added 3d drawings in figths (i find this one much worse than the 3d one)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by exdeath202 View Post
    I have to say i hate auctioneer, never used it and i make tons of gold without problem. But there are clueless people who would make no gold without that addon who just dont deserve the income they get from it. People complain about easy epics, but this is even worse. They should remove this addon like they removed the addon that added 3d drawings in figths (i find this one much worse than the 3d one)
    Lol. Eh, I'd say auctioneer is more like the Deadly Boss Mods of the AH. Can you perform well without it? Sure. Will using it properly give you an edge? Definately.
    The old Quick Auctions addon (before blizz broke it with 4.0) was way more like the 3d raid drawing addon, it automated way too much of the AH game for my taste.