Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    As many of u lot i too have 2 raiding professions but since i have mining on a level 80 alt i will level him until i am able to visit all the areas and farm the ores for my main professions (Engi, JC) and even for my alt prof BS...
    Retired

Deleted
    Why are people saying you have to drop your 2nd profession for mining for the airs? You realise you can still farm elementals without it yeah?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingolicious View Post
    Why are people saying you have to drop your 2nd profession for mining for the airs? You realise you can still farm elementals without it yeah?
    Yea lol, what's the big deal ? I Vortex Pinnacle last night, I got 10 Volatile Airs from looting stormy mobs, can't be that hard ?

In a 30 minute farming throghout deepholm, I got 5 volatile airs, tons of fire and earth. I guess it depends on the zone as they said on the frontpage for the living transmute thingy.

All in all, I am happy with things just they way they are.

10+ Year Old Account
    A cornfield by a raceway with a tornado flying through (Indiana)
    Quote Originally Posted by trisdor View Post
    this is funny. all I hear in this thread is raiders wanting the game to get easier for them. sounds like casual talk to me.

sometimes you cant have the best of both worlds. you either get your bonuses from 2 tradeskill prof or you have an easier time with 1 tradeskill and 1 gathering.

*flamesuit on*
    Hmm...you might want to be a bit more tactful, but you do make a point. This is kinda how it used to be. It used to take real time and sometimes a lot of money to fund a profession and then start making money off of it. I guess maybe there's a discrepancy in the diffculty vs other professions that people don't like? I can't tell, but either way, it's not like any serious raider wouldn't have a toon with gathering professions by now. People wanted Cataclysm to be "harder", right? Well, here it is. You'll have to choose between a combat-based bonus from another profession and an out-of-combat based bonus from gathering. That sounds like a difficult decision to me. Which will you choose?
    Last edited by Kenai; 2010-12-10 at 02:44 PM.

Unfortunately, my Engineer is a Mage, and gathering is just plain bad if you're a Mage.

I might consider this for my Warrior tank that I'm leveling though... tanks are the only people that can get away with Mining without looking like idiots.

10+ Year Old Account
    All Volatiles currently suffer from this issue. Fire and Water drop rates are low, and just got lower with todays patch, You can't get life without hebalism, and you can't get Air at all. Only mining can get all of them I believe and those rates just went way down. Good luck buying then with current pricing. I need 30 of each once a week for dreamcloth, and it's insane that I essentially have to purchase them all to get it done. Earth drops no where I've found either. Someone missed this on release, this can't be the way it's supposed to work.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jditto View Post
    All Volatiles currently suffer from this issue. Fire and Water drop rates are low, and just got lower with todays patch, You can't get life without hebalism, and you can't get Air at all. Only mining can get all of them I believe and those rates just went way down. Good luck buying then with current pricing. I need 30 of each once a week for dreamcloth, and it's insane that I essentially have to purchase them all to get it done. Earth drops no where I've found either. Someone missed this on release, this can't be the way it's supposed to work.
    You could always farm the air elementals in Uldum, or go VP.

10+ Year Old Account
    The droprate outside of instances is nearly non existent after the patch today, and I shouldn't have to endlessly run 1 particular instance just on the off chance I might get 3-4 volatiles, especially when you need 30 just to make 1 crafting items atm in tailoring.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    i did this yesterday on my shammy alt who was 80, farmed the elementals for a long arse time drop rate was about 1 in 8,

got about 60 which i needed for my main, on the bright side i got a level out of it

absolutely ...why do i have to consider dropping jc..off my main ..that cuts for all my toons... to pick up mining which i have across multiple alts..to get a buff off my eng profession....common blizz thats bullshit and you know it..

Farm you Lazy B@%sta#@s

Quote Originally Posted by badrobot View Post
    absolutely ...why do i have to consider dropping jc..off my main ..that cuts for all my toons... to pick up mining which i have across multiple alts..to get a buff off my eng profession....common blizz thats bullshit and you know it..
    I read almost every post in this thread, before going out and farming airs in the Twilight Highlands. 20mins on the in-game stop watch, 17 Volatile Airs. People...stop QQ'ing and go farm. If you don't wish to have a gathering prof with a prof that requires high mat consumption, such as engineering, then don't qq when you have to farm or buy mat.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Zissou View Post
    I read almost every post in this thread, before going out and farming airs in the Twilight Highlands. 20mins on the in-game stop watch, 17 Volatile Airs. People...stop QQ'ing and go farm. If you don't wish to have a gathering prof with a prof that requires high mat consumption, such as engineering, then don't qq when you have to farm or buy mat.
    Congrats that you got lucky, I farmed for about an hour and got 10. The point most mindless posters in this thread are failing to realise is this should be an engineering based bonus. You have a profession and it gives you bonuses, it shouldn't require you to have a second profession to make use of your first professions bonuses. Gas clouds were fine, they worked. Why now engineering has the only bonus in game that requires you to have a second profession to make use of it is ridiculous.
    Last edited by row; 2010-12-19 at 02:40 PM.

Good thing I'm an Alchemist along side Eng on my Rogue. Every day I can transmute 15x volatile life (5g ea on my server) to any other element, usually air of course, which goes for 55g for one right now.

so i used this in cojunction with skinning.. got 0 air levelling from 450-525. Maybe thats just really shitty luck, *shrug*
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Never ask for logic in a game that mails you dragons.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    My problem isnt really that you must have a gathering profession to get the air, it is that they changed it mid stream, I have all professions on my alts, but the combination is wrong.

Since i have eng/jc on my main i try to que up for vortex pinnacle every day and if i need some volatile airs now i go to the spot in uldum. Theres much more air elementals there compared to the twlight highlands spot and it feels like higher droprate i could go 10 minutes in twlight highlands and get no air, but in uldum i could have a good amount by that time

Deleted
    pain in the ass this. My priest was scribe + engineer and now I need to go buy 66 volatile air at 30g each... thats 2k worth of volatile air..

just to get my engineering up

Quote Originally Posted by row View Post
    Congrats that you got lucky, I farmed for about an hour and got 10. The point most mindless posters in this thread are failing to realise is this should be an engineering based bonus. You have a profession and it gives you bonuses, it shouldn't require you to have a second profession to make use of your first professions bonuses. Gas clouds were fine, they worked. Why now engineering has the only bonus in game that requires you to have a second profession to make use of it is ridiculous.
    Thank you, well stated.

Imagine if they required Tailors to have skinning to have their cloth scavenging passive to work? Or what if Alchemists absolutely had to have herbalism to have their Elixir/Potion mastery to proc, and mining to have their transmute mastery proc? We are talking about a profession-associated bonus intended to help you increase production that will not function unless you are forced to pick up a certain other profession you are otherwise not interested on having on your character. The way that the Electrostatic Condenser works right now punishes you for picking what professions you actually want more than what other two-crafter profession combinations go through.

IMO, all blizzard has to do is make it so that the Electrostatic Condenser can cause volatile air to drop off of any cataclysm (level 81-87) mob you kill (at a somewhat-uncommon chance, of course like the rate of the Uldum air elementals). Because having to farm a level 82 5-man dungeon to get a reasonable amount of a material that's necessary for everything a profession makes is a bit absurd.
    Last edited by greyghost; 2011-02-11 at 09:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dexter44
    There is no patch for human stupidity
    Orihank is displeased.

Quote Originally Posted by tilgare View Post
    That's a bummer for anyone with two raiding professions... =(
    I know I may get flamed for this (maybe), but 2 raiding proffessions? Engineering isn't really accepted as a raiding profession (in comparison to others) is it? Or did Cata change some things?