Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

How do you train a Death Knight?

I am very serious and not trying to start a fight. Also of note I rarely kick anyone from a group or am rude in any way and will take a decent level of stupid before I say anything.

I was just in a heroic with a DK that kept getting agro the first few fights, which I found interesting since I was doing way more damage than him. Then I noticed he was in blood presence, so I asked if he wanted to tank and he said it didn't matter. So I let him tank the next fight without telling him I would and he took WAY to much damage. I go back to tanking and fighting for agro but it isn't a big deal because my wife is able to keep up. We then get to the boss in VH that has the nasty aoe and needs to be moved, of course when I tried to move him the GK got agro and then stood there with it and died and then everyone nearly died because everyone was taking way to much damage.(did I mention only one person in the group is over 2k dps?)

So now I am getting upset because I died and we nearly wiped on a stupid easy instance. So I said Blood is for tanking, someone else in the group says yep and the DK says "Yeah" "And it gives a really nice buff."

At this point I gave up and just stood in the instance and made sure the healer didn't die. We get the ichoron (water thing) and I continue to stand there and someone couldn't keep agro under control and they all died just before it did so I finished it off. They then attempt to boot me for being "a bad tank" and I pointed out they could do that all they want but I am not the problem with the group(someone in the group said it was a bad group, yeah for dps under 2k talking about group skill level).

I continued to stand around and at this point my wife finally ended up killing him because he took that much damage. I then stepped in while he ran back and finished off the instance, magically all threat issues vanished and no one but me got hit again.

Now after all of this the group took home that I was mean, that it was just a heroic so he can do whatever he wants, I am a bad tank and he was doing a good job.

So how do you fix this? I can only take so much stupidity from a person before it makes me mad. I don't play a DK, and I don't have any interest in it. I know almost nothing about the class, but the one thing I do know is it had a bad name because of people like him. So what do DKs do when they encounter someone like this?

Also, assuming you wanted to dps as blood, would a dps breakdown look like this?

56% heart strike
    26% melee
    13% obliterate
    4% Death coil?

As I said I know nothing about DKs and was wondering about this.

Death knights have been around for a couple of years now, anyone who has managed to stay that clueless is actively trying to avoid improving. They aren't worth helping. If you just let him die every time he pulled aggro he may have learned something, but that kind of person is deaf to reason when you try to offer any advice.

If you still dps as blood I agree with Shiira, you don't even try to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiira View Post
    Death knights have been around for a couple of years now, anyone who has managed to stay that clueless is actively trying to avoid improving. They aren't worth helping. If you just let him die every time he pulled aggro he may have learned something, but that kind of person is deaf to reason when you try to offer any advice.
    He died like 3 or 4 times in 20 minutes. Would have died more but my wife is to nice. I get the feeling he didn't learn anything though, kind of sad if you ask me.

10+ Year Old Account
    DK in question needs to donate brain to science. Me thinks it would go on a display as a prime example of stupidity.

@OP, if you see a DK trying to dps in blood presence, ignore him, kick. Blood is for tanking now. Unholy and Frost are purely dps.

It's up to you, really. Options:
    1) Let him stay in blood and deal with it. Use taunts at the right time to keep a threat lead on bosses.
    2) If it bugs you too much, just tell him if he wants to tank, to queue as tank. Then tell him to get out of blood presence, explain that it triples his threat output. If he doesn't follow instructions, and you can't go with option #1, vote to have him kicked.

It's really not a huge deal. Heroics can be messy and still go about the same speed. The only thing I get picky about is DPS pulling for me at the wrong time. If a pull gets tossed all around, it just takes that much longer to down them because the early threat is shaky.

He's obviously blood spec which is dps before patch 4.01, and the breakdown is correct, although obliterate generates alot of threat and he should of been in unholy presence to reduce threat generation, quite simply an idiot who did'nt do his correct and stop when pulling too much agro. I play Dk as main and even in unholy spec and pres i pull alot of agro and have to pull off sometimes alot of DK's dont and thats the main problem.

tbh, i think it is a bit ridiculous that anyone in this game who takes it seriously in any way, shape, or form can be that clueless about a class that they leveled to 80. he was probably a troll who just wanted to mess with people, and you and your wife happened to be those people.

Death knights have been around for a couple of years now,
    I wouldn't say a "couple of years" because death knights have been around for barely over 2 years now and that's if you include the wotlk beta. I'd say we have different definitions about it, anyway I didn't come here just to nitpick about such things. But I just wanted to say it.

As for HollerTH's situation I would say that you shouldn't care if they think you're the douche, it's randoms in a random heroic right? Who cares? Well they certaintly don't if they would act like an ass in a similar situation. To be honest you should be more aggressive against players such as this death knight you encountered. Because he's probably too close-minded to understand or simply doesn't want to understand that Blood from now on WILL be a tank specc.

I guess I'm just elistist/evil but w/e I could care less. I can tell you this though, if I had tried to teach all the noob death knights I have met in heroics/raids/battlegrounds since I rerolled a death knight myself I would have had to spend all my time trying to teach them, which imo would have been for nothing, instead of actually playing the game.

I'd have just told him to switch presences, if he refused to I would have kicked him. If I couldn't kick him I would have let him die and not rezzed him.

---------- Post added 2010-11-08 at 07:14 PM ----------

Also to answer your question, you train a DK like people used to train puppies, except replace the swat on the nose with a punch in the dick.
    Beta Club Brosquad

10+ Year Old Account
    this n also if you dont know what u are doing there are vids THAT WILL HELP YOU!!! n omg ask a guilde for help. at this point if people dont know how to play their class they are WILLINGLY oblivious to how to do it. and dont get me wrong if you are a noob and you are learning dont feel bad like i said watch vids n ask for help.

Quote Originally Posted by fromis View Post
    I wouldn't say a "couple of years" because death knights have been around for barely over 2 years now and that's if you include the wotlk beta.
    Wrath was released on the 13th of november 2008, I'd say that's close enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Optrix View Post
    He's obviously blood spec which is dps before patch 4.01, and the breakdown is correct, although obliterate generates alot of threat and he should of been in unholy presence to reduce threat generation, quite simply an idiot who did'nt do his correct and stop when pulling too much agro. I play Dk as main and even in unholy spec and pres i pull alot of agro and have to pull off sometimes alot of DK's dont and thats the main problem.
    Generally a dps needs to be at 5k+ dps to really start causing trouble. Just after that run with super DK I had a DK that was doing 6.5k and he gave me less problems.

Agro is an issue now and I am OK with good dps that aren't being foolish getting stuff off of me. My gear isn't that great and it is just the way the game is right now. My problem is when the lowest dps in the group is causing me to have to fight him all the time for threat. And 1.5k dps is just not acceptable anymore, last night in my bad holy gear messing around(I never play as holy paladin) I was able to pull off 2.5k dps on bosses while healing, just under 1k for the entire run and I was being careful with my mana because I am not very good with holy right now.

I feel a little better now, thanks everyone.

Wrath was released on the 13th of november 2008, I'd say that's close enough.
    Again, different definitions.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fromis View Post
    Again, different definitions.
    5 days under 2 years is pretty much 2 years in my book

Quote Originally Posted by Deathquoi View Post
    I'd have just told him to switch presences, if he refused to I would have kicked him. If I couldn't kick him I would have let him die and not rezzed him.

---------- Post added 2010-11-08 at 07:14 PM ----------

Also to answer your question, you train a DK like people used to train puppies, except replace the swat on the nose with a punch in the dick.
    el oh friggin el

Quote Originally Posted by Abb View Post
    5 days under 2 years is pretty much 2 years in my book
    Yes I agree with you but I would never say 2 years is "a couple of years". Because if you ask me that would have to be 3 or more to qualify as a "a couple of years" and it all boils down to a persons defintions of what is what.

I'm a little confused. If he was being unco-operative then just let him have aggro and have the healer let him die. Repeat until he either stops being a dick or he gets fed up with the prospect of full repairs and leaves. By letting him do his thing and keeping him alive still, all you're doing is reinforcing the notion that he can do as he pleases without consequence.
    I'm in the "I don't have an obnoxiously large signature" club.

Plenty of people assume because it starts at 55 and its a hero class its untouchable and spam everything. My main is an unholy death knight and i top the dps charts in icc but also never have aggro go higher than 60% and that was a one off with a bad tank against saurfang. We took a new guy in to test some new guild recruits the other day. he was frost dps but kept opening with death and decay, spamming blood boil and not only not using death grip to pull caster to the tank but using it to pull melee away from the tank!

Now ive been playing a death knight since day one, i was the first dk on my realm even so whilst i am not professing i am amazing, far from it, but i know how to play my class without reading a guide by now.
    I give him as many tips as i can, frost was my spec for the first few months, he constantly tells me i am wrong, none of those moves generate threat, blood presence is still dps ect, ect.

Thing is we were two very different death knights, sadly my kind is the rarity because many angry douchebags who demand instant gratification with no work have dropped there rogues and hunters and gone to death knights so the odds of getting one of us good ones are few and far between. it makes running bc instances on alts a nightmare.

So basically a noob, unskilled DK was generating more threat than you. I think you might both need some training.