Protection Paladin Tanking Rotations - Single / AOE / HDH

In this video I am covering the 2 main Tanking Rotations for a Protection Paladin.

1 - Single Target:
    Spec - http://wowtal.com/#k=-e40M6C2H.a7t.paladin.R3gp1p
    Opener: DP (for 3 HP) Wings + Exorcism + Avenger Shield + SOTR
    Rotation: CS - J - CS - AS - CS - SOTR When AS is down and not up by Grand Crusader you choose Holy Wrath.

2 - AOE Tanking:
    Spec - http://wowtal.com/#k=ekfFK1RM.a7t.paladin.qHMtYV
    Opener - DP (3 HP) - Inquisition - Wings when up use it
    Rotation - HOTR - Conc - HW - AS This is Priority but always HOTR first and inbetween each.
    Note: DO NOT refresh Inquisition until it is about to expire. Use it to its MAX.

HDH Spec
    Same as Single except for the following
    1 - If you proc Sacred Duty then your 3HP finisher is SOTR
    2 - If you do NOT proc Sacred Duty your 3HP finisher is Word of Glory. On either yourself or a raid member in need. Totally situational.

Power Auras for Sacred Duty and Inquisition:

Set=Page 1@
    Aura[1]=Version:4.4; icon:Ability_Paladin_JudgementRed; buffname:Sacred Duty; x:-137; customname:Sacred Duty; owntex:true; exact:true; PowerType:0; size:0.26; y:-7; texmode:2; timer.HideLeadingZeros:true; timer.h:1.84; timer.Texture:AccidentalPresidency; timer.enabled:true; timer.cents:false; timer.Relative:CENTER; timer.Transparent:true@
    Aura[2]=Version:4.4; icon:spell_paladin_inquisition; buffname:Inquisition; x:137; owntex:true; exact:true; size:0.26; y:-5; texmode:2; timer.HideLeadingZeros:true; timer.h:1.84; timer.Texture:AccidentalPresidency; timer.enabled:true; timer.cents:false; timer.Relative:CENTER; timer.Transparent:true@
    Last edited by towelliee; 2010-11-16 at 12:20 PM.
    http://twitch.tv/towelliee TowelRapaport #WoWsheet

better vid than your other ones :P

what is WoG healing for on yourself at 85 in 359 gear? (with GbtL and Divinity)

This is NOT confirmed just off top of my head. Normally no Vengeance I am at about 15-20k 50% or Higher Vengeance I'm in 30K ish area. At Full Vengeance which would be about 20K AP I am about 40k+ healing. AGAIN this is just off top of my head from the last week of raiding and watching a few of my videos as my Vengeance goes up.
    Last edited by towelliee; 2010-11-09 at 02:36 AM.

Heya Towel, yup I'm here too.

I thought the rotation was pretty straightforward and we all had some very good ideas about what the staple was already?

Is the big distinction here that if you don't have Sacred Duty procced that you auto-use WoG?

BTW, you have basically the same position of SD proc on your POWA as me. Watching my screen much!?

Stalker.

Neat video! I´ve learned to like Power Auras aswell after being a bit reluctant on it cluttering the screen too much, i like addons
    and i don´t have to bother with loadingtimes (yay SSD) so i tend to get too many and gotta clear up some space now and then.
    On the rotation, i´ll stick with hitting judgement before ShotR tho when the boss is coming at you/you´re running in, just for that
    sweet 50% chance on a ShotR-crit you mention. Looking forward to the fun in Cata!

lol towelliee got banned?

10+ Year Old Account
    haha how/why did that happen? maybe linkin a video with ALOT of swearin in it?
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

nah i just found out he made another thread about WoG and wasnt "accepting" the criticism and being aggressive about it and got banned for it.

temp Ban im sure though.

10+ Year Old Account
    ahh yeah I was in that threat for a bit, in all fairness he was being pretty rude :P nothing THAT major though he'll be back in 3 days no doubt :P
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

What does HDH stand for?

[11:50:45] Earthmender Duarn says: Shamanistic healing is a complex art. You can't just chain heal all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Foibles View Post
    What does HDH stand for?
    something he made up in the video, if you checked it you might have heard it.
    Hybrid Damage Healer. last third of the video (surprise!)

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Before 4.0, taunt-AS combo's were fairly common since HoR did damage if the the target wasn't attacking you. Starting with exo before the combo was another tactic i used at times where it was possible. Still, using HoR can really help you keep hold of an enemy until vengeance starts stacking, and until you've got a few abilities down.
    I think the reason CS is still better for Single is because the 2 piece dmg is not working and the glyph I believe doesn't affect the Nova dmg. Not sure if that is intended or not.

Quote Originally Posted by towelliee View Post
    I think the reason CS is still better for Single is because the 2 piece dmg is not working and the glyph I believe doesn't affect the Nova dmg. Not sure if that is intended or not.
    hammer dosnt scale as well with vengeance from memory and if u have a slow weapon even with no vengeance CS is always better
    i use CS for single target raid fights and hammer for AoE or if im using my tank weapon in a 5 man ill hammer single target too

and if for some strange reason you are using a spell power weapon then hammer hits harder for 2 reasons the nova part benefits quite well from SP and SP weapons deal less damage which affects CS more then hammer

ina thread on tankspot i cant remember which one (probably thecks matlab one) there was a post comparing hamemr and CS in different circumstances with different weapons and single target i think no matter what the biggest difference was like 5-10% so pick which ever u like more your not losing alot

Deleted
    In your thing on single target rotation you pop plea for DP then you dont use the 3hp it and go for CS after the pull? just a typo i presume and u mean using Inq :P?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaitee View Post
    ina thread on tankspot i cant remember which one (probably thecks matlab one) there was a post comparing hamemr and CS in different circumstances with different weapons and single target i think no matter what the biggest difference was like 5-10% so pick which ever u like more your not losing alot
    Thecks one, he always compare TPS/DPS values.

Cool guide, I like the HDH rotation for high-damage bosses where aggro isn't a big issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfuert View Post
    In your thing on single target rotation you pop plea for DP then you dont use the 3hp it and go for CS after the pull? just a typo i presume and u mean using Inq :P?
    You might be mistaken in the single target I opened up with DP then exorcism + AS opener and my first hit was a 8231 damage sotr which consumed that 3HP then I started the rotation.

Unless you mean in my text then yes I did fix it to say SOTR then rotation