Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Illidan.. your opinion of him?

I just finished reading the War of the Ancients trilogy, and I feel sorry for him. He wanted to save his people, but was imprisoned for ten thousand years for trying to do so. Of course, he also wanted power, but it doesn't change the fact that he still wanted to save his people. But not only that, he also lost Tyrande. He always wanted to be with Tyrande, and tried his hardest to prove himself and try to gain Tyrande's love, but his brother, who never even thought of it till the last moment, took her from him.

And when he was finally given his chance to redeem himself 10 thousand years later, he was tricked by Arthas into using the Skull of Guldan, which in the end drove him insane when he was cast out by his brother for using such demonic powers.

Of course we all know then Illidan ends up becoming insane after trying to defeat Arthas, and in the end we kill him. I just think it's kinda sad, he did so much to help everyone but in the end was driven insane. I wish he would of been redeemed.

I honestly would buy a book just based on Illidan himself. Something like it would first start a little while before Tyrande goes and gets him from the cell, and could give us details on what Illidan thought of everything, and if he was insane at that time, then could end when he returns to outland after being defeated by Arthas, and whatnot.

Illidan is without a doubt my favourite character in WoW, I just wish he would of had a more happy ending : /

He is the guy that always comes in 2nd place in a race no matter how hard he tries to win he can never pull it off.

He had a good run, but like Ner'zhul his time is over.

Illidan is my favourite character too, I was hoping for some sort of redemption story for him.

10+ Year Old Account
    A very selfish character. Even if he does something good there is almost always an ulterior motive. I will do this so Tyrande will love me and not Malfurion. I help him so I can become a more powerful sorcerer. I hate Malfurion, he took my girl away and is learning that stupid druidism. People only pity him because communicates his enourmous sense of self-pity so well, half of the BC trailer was "I was betrayed, it was so unfair." Illidan totally deserved everything coming to him. People only think he was wronged because that's what he believes too, he thinks everything is so unfair. We also know that Illidan is unstable and thought he beat Arthas in that fight, so I wonder who has it the right way around?

He is also a fool: he ACTUALLY thought people would appreciate him bringing back the Well of Eternity? After it had almost destroyed them? He ACTUALLY thought consuming the Skull of Gul'dan would have gone well with the night elves? Even if it had helped him defeat the demons? He ACTUALLY thought making a deal with Kil'jaeden was a good idea. You could argue that the ends justify the means, but try putting that case forward with Malfurion and the rest of the night elves. Illidan got so many chances, and he always screwed it up.

15+ Year Old Account
    He is one cool cat, Half-demon half-night elf combo is awesome, and having Maiev as a ally in the battle was wicked

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side View Post
    He is one cool cat, Half-demon half-night elf combo is awesome, and having Maiev as a ally in the battle was wicked
    I enjoyed Illidan simply because MAeiv was attached to his lore, Illidan by himself seems like a whiney baby who suffer's from " I didn't get the girl " syndrome... boo freakin' hoo

Quote Originally Posted by tinyninja View Post
    A very selfish character. Even if he does something good there is almost always an ulterior motive. I will do this so Tyrande will love me and not Malfurion. I help him so I can become a more powerful sorcerer. I hate Malfurion, he took my girl away and is learning that stupid druidism. People only pity him because communicates his enourmous sense of self-pity so well, half of the BC trailer was "I was betrayed, it was so unfair." Illidan totally deserved everything coming to him. People only think he was wronged because that's what he believes too, he thinks everything is so unfair. We also know that Illidan is unstable and thought he beat Arthas in that fight, so I wonder who has it the right way around?

He is also a fool: he ACTUALLY thought people would appreciate him bringing back the Well of Eternity? After it had almost destroyed them? He ACTUALLY thought consuming the Skull of Gul'dan would have gone well with the night elves? Even if it had helped him defeat the demons? He ACTUALLY thought making a deal with Kil'jaeden was a good idea. You could argue that the ends justify the means, but try putting that case forward with Malfurion and the rest of the night elves. Illidan got so many chances, and he always screwed it up.
    But... his glaives are so perty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chakosa View Post
    Welcome to how the game was always and is supposed to be played. Have fun not being able to be an autistic shit anymore.

He is infinitely more interesting than Maiev. Had the raid ended with her dying, I would have been much happier.
    To be married on January 21st, 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by tinyninja View Post

I agree with this. I felt bad for him at first, but he was very selfish and power-hungry.

he is the guy who wont give me his OH sword, all i care about concerning him

Like you I just finished the War of the Ancients trilogy, and I must say I have a totally different take on Illidan. My Warcraft "career" started with Warcraft 3: Reign of Chaos and I fell in love with the Demon Hunter hero pretty quickly. Illidan is a very cool villain who you look at as a hero. But after reading the books it's easy to determine that he really is just a play ol' villain. While Illidan and Malfurion both fight for the "good side" throughout most of Warcraft history, they have very different motives. Illidan has never fought for the sake of just helping others. He has always fought for others with the thought in mind of gaining more power out of the ordeal.

So in short - Yeah, Illidan is an awesome character. But he deserves what's happened to him, he's never performed a truly selfless act in all the reading I've done.

Edit* Oops, posted a little slow. tinyninja sums up Illidan flawlessly.
    Last edited by Alaandria; 2010-11-09 at 03:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaandria View Post
    Like you I just finished the War of the Ancients trilogy, and I must say I have a totally different take on Illidan. My Warcraft "career" started with Warcraft 3: Reign of Chaos and I fell in love with the Demon Hunter hero pretty quickly. Illidan is a very cool villain who you look at as a hero. But after reading the books it's easy to determine that he really is just a play ol' villain. While Illidan and Malfurion both fight for the "good side" throughout most of Warcraft history, they have very different motives. Illidan has never fought for the sake of just helping others. He has always fought for others with the thought in mind of gaining more power out of the ordeal.

So in short - Yeah, Illidan is an awesome character. But he deserves what's happened to him, he's never performed a truly selfless act in all the reading I've done.
    Bro, neither have I. Or you. Or anyone for that matter.

People do things for personal gain, to feel better about themselves and to get brownie points with their personal flavor of god.
    Welcome to how the game was always and is supposed to be played. Have fun not being able to be an autistic shit anymore.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phenomina View Post
    I enjoyed Illidan simply because MAeiv was attached to his lore, Illidan by himself seems like a whiney baby who suffer's from " I didn't get the girl " syndrome... boo freakin' hoo
    "I didnt get the girl" sydrome....i know all about it.

Illidan was also my favorite character in the lore so far, followed by Kalecgos, haha. But there's a rather large gap :|

I also pity him and wish he was redeemed. Yes, he was selfish in a way, but also completely and utterly selfless depending on how you look at it. When I read the books it seemed as though he was going to the demons and highborne to help the war in his own way, or with the motive of rescuing Tyrande, but then got caught up in more than he could handle. He was always trying his hardest in the fights to prove himself, just happened to be a bit of a blind klutz and killed a few allies. No biggy right? haha.

Either way I hope the Black Temple was merely a setback ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by lolmageddon View Post
    Bro, neither have I. Or you. Or anyone for that matter.

People do things for personal gain, to feel better about themselves and to get brownie points with their personal flavor of god.
    Perhaps so perhaps not, but in a fantasy realm it's possible to expect a selfless protagonist or character. Malfurion can easily be described as selfless. In War of the Ancients he is so naively unaware of his brother's jealousy or Tyrande's feelings for him until very late in the trilogy. Until then his motives consist purely of helping his people because "it's the right thing to do."

10+ Year Old Account
    A very selfish character. Even if he does something good there is almost always an ulterior motive
    exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaandria View Post
    Perhaps so perhaps not, but in a fantasy realm it's possible to expect a selfless protagonist or character. Malfurion can easily be described as selfless. In War of the Ancients he is so naively unaware of his brother's jealousy or Tyrande's feelings for him until very late in the trilogy. Until then his motives consist purely of helping his people because "it's the right thing to do."
    Yes, but your point was, "he wasn't perfect, he deserved to die".

Illidan was acting just as any average person would, in many respects more selflessly.

I think Illidan is an pretty cool guy. He goes crazy and turns into a demon and doesn't afraid of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side View Post
    "I didnt get the girl" sydrome....i know all about it.
    Wish I could say I did as well!

At least you didn't go get your eyes torn out because of it....or did you?