Deleted

DVD drive and IDE HDD on the same cable?

Would having a IDE DVD drive and a 7200 rpm 250gb IDE HDD on the same IDE cable have a big impact on performance versus an IDE DVD Drive and a 7200 rpm SATA2 HDD?
    Got an IDE HDD lying around a
    nd later could i have a setup like this: IDE DVD + IDE HDD storage on same IDE cable. and on the same mobo SATA HDD for OS and programs?

It'll only impact performance when you're using both the IDE devices at the same time, really. So copying from the DVD drive to the IDE hard drive would be a lot slower than copying from the DVD drive to the SATA drive.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

Deleted
    Ah. So installing anything from a CD would be a pain in the ass? Well if i bought a cheap SATA dvd writer and kept the HDD as the only device on a IDE cable would it be as fast as a SATA DVD drive and SATA HDD on their own sata cables?

For example how slow would it be to install an OS from the CD with
    HDD + DVD on same IDE cable vs HDD SATA and DVD IDE/DVD Sata and HDD IDE
    Last edited by mmoc08e0cbb1c7; 2010-11-10 at 01:37 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    If I remember correctly, most ATA-133 drives couldn't come close to the 133mb/s transfer, and a DVD drive certainly doesn't come close either.

It will be slower yes, but no slower (at least not noticably) than the fact that you're using a ribbon drive(s) in the first place.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Deleted
    sooo if installing windows from a ide dvd drive to a sata hdd would take like 30 minutes. would it take noticable longer if the dvd drive and hdd were on the same ribbon? (32 minutes or something wouldnt hurt) But if it takes like 10 minutes longer then damn..

The big issue with running an IDE dvd drive and HDD on the same cable is more about getting both drives mounted so that they can be connected together. Most cases have the HDD cage far enough away from the external bays that you have to find an unusually long ribbon cable.

If you are going to buy a new piece of hardware to get around the issue get a reasonably fast HDD, something like a spinpoint f3, that will give you a noticeable boost to load times and storage capacity.

I have had a few old / half broken PCs where I had a cd rom drive and a HDD on the same ribbon cable. It's not optimal but works fine.

Video is a Palit GTS450. Main display is a 24" full HD TV. Secondary display is an ACER 19" lcd at 1440x900.

Deleted
    Alright. and yeah i have a pretty darn long ribbon from 2003