Thread: Gear Illusion?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Gear Illusion?

I didn´t have time to come up with a good name for the thread, I just had this idea and I felt like posting it, though it´s probably been suggested before.

So what if you could have some sort of option that would allow you to make your armor pieces look like other armor pieces that you already have? Obviously you could only "transform" a piece into another piece of the same slot, so you couldn´t make a dagger look like a staff for example.

This way you could have any gear, and still look totally epic (Any favorite tier sets yo?), as long as you already owned said gear. And maybe there should be a rule to say that armor needs to be of a certain itemlevel to "illusion" it, just to prevent entire guilds from raiding in tuxedo set for example.
    I for one would love to constantly wear t5 as a mage, and don´t tell me ya´ll paladins wouldn´t love raiding in judgement gear again!

The service could cost gold or whatever, that part is kind of irrelevant.

Thoughts?

Edit:

Requirements for "Illusioning" gear (Just so that´s clear to everyone)
    :

1. You already own the gear you wish to "Illusion" (So you couldn´t wear the looks of things you didn´t obtain already!)
    2. There´s an itemlevel present, to prevent the tuxedo scenario.
    Last edited by grevlinghore; 2010-11-09 at 10:48 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    It exists it's called modelswapper

obtaining a new peace of gear is always so fun, because you can actually see differences (unless you're a dudu) so I guess I would never use this option in-game.

This idea has been presented hundreds of times in the past, and was shot down every time. Sounds cool on paper, but it just wouldn't work, and it's not what Blizzard wants at all.

Think about it. If you worked for Blizzard designing armor, would YOU like it if everyone went around covering up the shiny new things you designed in favor of all the old stuff?

Besides, tiers look the way they do for a reason. They're meant to match the feel of the raid(s) from the tier their from. Go look at the paladin set from Ulduar, for example.

In short: no.

Quote Originally Posted by Modify View Post
    It exists it's called modelswapper
    I´m aware of this, but I´d like to actually have great looks ingame - without the need of AddOns or cheating of any sort, surely more people feel this way? It would even contribute a great deal to making each character unique, as a contrast to the WoW where every player of every one class looks pretty much the same if they have equally good gear.

Deleted
    Would be an awesome tool to increase the number of customisation options. But I don't think it will ever happen.

Quote Originally Posted by rat View Post
    This idea has been presented hundreds of times in the past, and was shot down every time. Sounds cool on paper, but it just wouldn't work, and it's not what Blizzard wants at all.

Think about it. If you worked for Blizzard designing armor, would YOU like it if everyone went around covering up the shiny new things you designed in favor of all the old stuff?

Besides, tiers look the way they do for a reason. They're meant to match the feel of the raid(s) from the tier their from. Go look at the paladin set from Ulduar, for example.

I guess, but it wouldn´t be limited to tiers, it´d be nearly anything, the only requirements would be:

1. You already own it (So you couldn´t wear the looks of things you didn´t obtain)

Imagine the customization and freedom! D:

If I could reskin gear, I would reskin shadowmourne with kobold shovel... SHOVELMOURNE!

I've been hoping for a feature like this for years. A second layer of clothing to style my character the way I want. It could even be a new profession. A player would dismantle a piece of gear and this way would learn "the style-pattern". Then he could cast the style-illusion onto other gear. I'd love it.

Quote Originally Posted by grevlinghore View Post
    I guess, but it wouldn´t be limited to tiers, it´d be nearly anything, the only requirements would be:

1. You already own it (So you couldn´t wear the looks of things you didn´t obtain)

Imagine the customization and freedom! D:
    I was just giving an example with tiers, like you did--T5 mage and T2 paladin. Either way, that's not the point. I can say with certainty that Blizzard will never do this, or else there would be no reason for them to put any effort into designing current gear. People bitch about reskins enough as it is. (And no, I'm not gonna buy the "it'll just motivate Blizzard to make new gear look EVEN BETTER!!111!1" argument, that's not really relevant.)

I don't mean to be a downer, I'm just... being logical here >_> If people could just choose what their gear looks like, and with so much to choose from, what's the point of making new stuff?

Edit: To sum this up nicely... overcloaks. The troll and gnome crest cloaks from the PTR of their new little events, that let you keep your current cloak's stats while looking different. That was changed for this very reason.

Quote Originally Posted by OnyxZarin View Post
    If I could reskin gear, I would reskin shadowmourne with kobold shovel... SHOVELMOURNE!
    If there´s an itemlevel on that, you´re free to do so ^^

---------- Post added 2010-11-09 at 11:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Japyx View Post
    I've been hoping for a feature like this for years. A second layer of clothing to style my character the way I want. It could even be a new profession. A player would dismantle a piece of gear and this way would learn "the style-pattern". Then he could cast the style-illusion onto other gear. I'd love it.
    Great idea right there!

First when has this been presented HUNDREDS of times and shot down?

Why wouldnt this work? They are just skins that are already in game. It would be easier to implement than the new reforging imo...

Finally it is my opinion that if Blizz did a better job at armor design people wouldnt even bring this up but every tier gets lamer than the last one. Oh yeah not to mention its a ROLE playing game! If I want to kill Deathwing in an ilvl359 pimp hat with pink flamingo feathers I should be able to.
    Last edited by PhoenixPhilms; 2010-11-09 at 10:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhilms View Post
    First when has this been presented HUNDREDS of times and shot down?

Second are you a game designer? Why wouldnt this work? They are just skins that are already in game. It would be easier to implement than the new reforging imo...

Finally it is my opinion that if Blizz did a better job at armor design people wouldnt even bring this up but every tier gets lamer than the last one. Oh yeah not to mention its a ROLE playing game! If I want to kill Deathwing in an ilvl359 pimp hat with pink flamingo feathers I should be able to.
    People have been asking this since TBC when they realized their precious tier sets were getting replaced with questing greens in Hellfire. (Yes, I'm exaggerating, but really, this has been requested many times in the past. It has nothing to do with the "current" gear sucking so much as people clinging to nostalgia/preference/the illusion of individuality.)

I never said it would be hard to implement. I never even implied that. Re-read, I'm not going to explain it again. And I'm not even going to address that last line, it reeks of troll. Let's keep the discussion logical, here.
    Last edited by rat; 2010-11-09 at 11:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by keule View Post
    obtaining a new peace of gear is always so fun, because you can actually see differences (unless you're a dudu) so I guess I would never use this option in-game.
    Totally...

"OH GAWD FINALLY I got that epic I´ve wanted for so long, now I can look exactly the same as all the other cool guys who´s got this piece too!"

Just another way to see things I guess =P

actually I think I'd like something else... I'd like to be able to destroy a piece of armor's stats, turning it into an aesthetic item, like the tuxedo, but making it BoA... this way I could dress my bank alts and my aesthetic alts (alts I make just for the looks and never really level them up) properly...
    I want to have daughters... but if I end up having sons I'll raise them like this X3

Quote Originally Posted by grevlinghore View Post
    Totally...

"OH GAWD FINALLY I got that epic I´ve wanted for so long, now I can look exactly the same as all the other cool guys who´s got this piece too!"

Just another way to see things I guess =P
    Run around Dalaran. You'll see at least ten paladins in T10 and/or T9.

Now, implement this idea.

Run around Dalaran. You'll see at least ten paladins in T2 and/or T6.

I'm not saying it won't be a little more varied than that, but you have to admit, with your idea, everyone will basically only be wearing the "best" looking tier sets anyway. There wouldn't be as much individuality as you'd hope for. I know it's not that black and white, but you see my point :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Could only see it being useful on an RP server.
    --No Beta Club--
    Books let you imagine the impossible.
    Movies let you see the impossible.
    Video Games let you do the impossible

Quote Originally Posted by Alelok View Post
    Could only see it being useful on an RP server.
    With certain restrictions, I agree with this.

Run around Dalaran. You'll see at least ten paladins in T10 and/or T9.

Now, implement this idea.

Run around Dalaran. You'll see at least ten paladins in T2 and/or T6.

I'm not saying it won't be a little more varied than that, but you have to admit, with your idea, everyone will basically only be wearing the "best" looking tier sets anyway. There wouldn't be as much individuality as you'd hope for. I know it's not that black and white, but you see my point :P
    Yeah I see what youre saying ^^
    But I do think it would turn out better than that, when considering:

1. Not everyone would be willing to spend the effort of gathering old tier gear.
    2. I´d imagine alot of people would just be creative and mix random items to form something decent looking :O

there is a thread going on wow-europe.com/forums/cataclysm forum called Vanity slots 2. this idea basically has no cons.

feelings of developers should be ignored if ppl demand something that they cannot ignore anymore.
    "I am in art department and i dont want to get other set worn, just my cool 1337 latest one i designed." Wrong. On eu forums there is a vol2 topic with no official answer, and on us there was even vol4 and without blizz answer. they just decided to ignore the issue until it goes away. but it wont cause they already presented new tier that will "allow" players to look exactly the same for atleast 6 months. clone issue continues. i dont want to login into my char and see 23243824 other characters with the same exact gear. oh wait. they are different. they change colors. smooth move blizz.

at this current state even the offset items look the same as set items so you have palas that look like warr, warlocks like priest etc. that makes whole clone issue even worse

argument "but then ull have this set copied" is invalid. if one couldnt stand that some tier is more worn then another you will just change to another tier. it is option that matters.
    ppl are begging blizz to either design more armor or implement vanity slots.

pros:
    - old instances being visited again,even if being zerged
    - WoW will for a moment feel like a World
    - clone issue will be a lot smaller - You could choose amongst 11 tiers

cons:
    - ?

its 2010. not 1992. why blizzard just refuses to implement this is beyond me.
    Bottom point: Blizz ignores, players whine, chars look like clones, Blizz ignores
    Last edited by phyx; 2010-11-10 at 01:44 AM.