Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Battle.net Dial-in Authenticator Now Available

Originally Posted by http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/1113829#blog
    Similar to the Battle.net Authenticator and Mobile Authenticator application, the Battle.net Dial-in Authenticator is an optional tool that provides an additional layer of security against unauthorized account access. The Battle.net Dial-in Authenticator is not a physical token or application run on a mobile device, however. Instead, it is a free opt-in service that will actively monitor an account and request additional authorization from the user when a potentially unauthorized login attempt occurs. (Pretty cool, huh?)

If you sign up for the Battle.net Dial-in Authenticator, you will be asked to make a toll-free phone call from a specific phone of your choosing to authorize unusual login attempts with the associated Battle.net account. Please note that you will only be asked to make this phone call when something about your login attempt appears out of the ordinary. For example, if you were to log in from a location from which you do not typically play, you may be asked to call in and provide your selected PIN and a unique, single-use security code before access to the account will be granted.
    This is an awesome idea, in my opinion.

Hacker tries to hack your account.
    The login is blocked until you confirm it via a call.
    You change your passwords and secure your computer.

Smrt.
    Last edited by Simca; 2010-11-10 at 12:38 AM.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

It won't be long until they make them flat-out mandatory.

15+ Year Old Account
    Only available in US at the moment

And actually, they don't call you, when you try to login (from unusual places) it will display the toll-free number so you can call from the specified phone number and then it will ask you to enter a pin-code that should be known only to you then a randomized number displayed on the same display as the toll-free number.

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard Support
    How does the Battle.net Dial-in Authenticator work?
    When the Battle.net Dial-in Authenticator's protection activates, you will see a message displaying a toll-free phone number when you attempt to log in. Simply call this number and enter your PIN plus a single-use security code that we display on your game screen, and your login should complete within seconds.

What countries and/or regions are supported by the Battle.net Dial-in Authenticator?
    Currently, the Battle.net Dial-in Authenticator is only available to U.S. residents. Additional regions and countries may be added in the future.
    And it seems to only affect World of Warcraft and Account Management, so not Starcraft II (yet) Also before asking, you can't use it with the normal authenticator

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard Support
    Can I have multiple Authenticators (keychain, mobile app, or Dial-in) active at the same time?
    Each Battle.net account can only have one security method active at any given time, including our Authenticator products. You can change your active security method at any time through Battle.net Account Management.
    Last edited by Spl4sh3r; 2010-11-10 at 12:40 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elementlawl View Post
    It won't be long until they make them flat-out mandatory.
    Well, this is different than a normal Authenticator.

Hackers can bypass normal Authenticators without TOO much effort.

I can't see how they could get around this though.

Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    Only available in US at the moment

And actually, they don't call you, when you try to login (from unusual places) it will display the toll-free number so you can call from the specified phone number and then it will ask you to enter a pin-code that should be known only to you then a randomized number displayed on the same display as the toll-free number.
    Ah, fixed.

I look forward to hearing everybody complain about how huge of an effort this would be.

Admittently, it IS a huge effort. It is, however, a great alternative for those who want the extra-extra security, or those who don't have an authenticator. As far as options go, it's nice to have as many of them as possible. I won't use it, but I'm glad to see it exists.

10+ Year Old Account
    This seems like a lot of work just to play a game...

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Llunai View Post
    I look forward to hearing everybody complain about how huge of an effort this would be.

Admittently, it IS a huge effort. It is, however, a great alternative for those who want the extra-extra security, or those who don't have an authenticator. As far as options go, it's nice to have as many of them as possible. I won't use it, but I'm glad to see it exists.
    Theres no effort involved because you dont have to call every time you log in, only when you're logging in from an unusual place.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    Theres no effort involved because you dont have to call every time you log in, only when you're logging in from an unusual place.
    Probably will ask you if you login when someone is already logged in aswell

I'm wondering if when you call from an unusual place, it saves it so that you don't have to call again.

this is getting ridiculous (don't get me wrong, it's awesome that Blizzard is offering this second layer of security, but too much work just to play a game)
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

10+ Year Old Account
    Getting this definitely, glad my patience of playing without an authenticator has payed off! Inb4 hackers find a way around it.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    this is getting ridiculous (don't get me wrong, it's awesome that Blizzard is offering this second layer of security, but too much work just to play a game)
    You only need to call if the login attempt looks suspicious. It won't prompt you every time. This is actually less intrusive than a standard authenticator.

IMO it's far less work to do this when the login attempt is suspicious than to have to deal with the days' worth of getting my characters back. Then again, I have an authenticator, so obviously the inconvenience is not that big to me.

I think it's great and I might opt into it. If someone manages to get past the authenticator, they still have to get through this phone verification. The odds of them defeating both would be staggering, and they deserve my account at that point.

Edit: Aww, you can't have a normal authenticator and this at the same time.

Regardless, since it:
    1) is FREE
    2) doesn't bother you unless something looks fishy (completely unobtrusive during normal login), and
    3) is extra security for your account
    I don't see an excuse for anyone not being signed up for this unless they simply don't care if they get hacked.
    Last edited by eternalwhitemoon; 2010-11-10 at 01:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post

Ooooo I totally missed that.

Even better!

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Finally something that doesn't make you have to put in a code every time you log in. That was the main thing keeping me away from getting the authenticator.

This is LESS work than the standard authenticator.
    As it stands I have to type out my code every time I want to play.
    This new option allows me to just log in like the old days, and I only ever have to call up if I log in from a friends house (I don't do net cafe's for clearly obvious reasons)

i dont see why people complain about taking an extra 2 seconds to enter an authenticator code? I mean its cool about the new security but seriously, it takes like 2 seconds to enter the code from an authenticator. Its like people complaining about the WOTLK login screen, Sindy yells but if you log in right away you never hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by uncannyllama View Post
    i dont see why people complain about taking an extra 2 seconds to enter an authenticator code? I mean its cool about the new security but seriously, it takes like 2 seconds to enter the code from an authenticator. Its like people complaining about the WOTLK login screen, Sindy yells but if you log in right away you never hear it.
    Annoying as hell especially while raiding on beta. Also I had mine desynchronize or whatever two times, definitely going to get that phone thing, especially if this also protects my auction/bank account from getting banned every time I log in when I am on a business trip/holidays in a foreign country.

i want to use this with my normal Authenticator. Sense there is still a chanse to get hacked with a Authenticator and tbh some one like me i have playd sense day one i have a bunch of lvl 60-80 alts the monney and time spent on my account isent really so fun to lose so if i need to spend a few extra seconds logging in is not really a big problem for me

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RaZz0r View Post
    i want to use this with my normal Authenticator. Sense there is still a chanse to get hacked with a Authenticator and tbh some one like me i have playd sense day one i have a bunch of lvl 60-80 alts the monney and time spent on my account isent really so fun to lose so if i need to spend a few extra seconds logging in is not really a big problem for me
    Unfortunately since they're both considered "authenticators" you can't have both. Read the source.

Stick with the normal Authenticator.

I totally think they should let you do both, but that's just me. Like I said before, if you get past my authenticator AND phone verification you deserve my account. lol

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eternalwhitemoon View Post
    Unfortunately since they're both considered "authenticators" you can't have both. Read the source.

Stick with the normal Authenticator.

I totally think they should let you do both, but that's just me. Like I said before, if you get past my authenticator AND phone verification you deserve my account. lol
    Awww.

I had assumed at first you could use both at once (I think that would be a great thing).

I wonder which is actually more secure. My hunch is that the Dial-In Authenticator may actually be more secure than the regular one, just because you can still hack regular authenticators with a keylogger that hooks into WoW and stops the sending of the code.

You can't do that with a dial-in authenticator, which makes me think they may actually be more secure (depending on how Blizzard detects the IP changes).