Poll: Is the digital download of cataclysm excessive?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Yes, the digital download costs more than it should.

No, stores should not suffer if the digital copy is cheaper. It is NOT the same product. If you buy it online and download the game, you get the game. If you buy the box, you SHOULD get more than just the game. Different products, it is not the same. I do not see how they would even compete against each other. It makes no sense at all.

I think the game itself is a little bit expensive if we consider the amount of players getting it, that it requires a monthly subscription, and how much the game costs if you are buying your keys or boxes or whatever for the first time. If you buy the Battlechest (Vanilla + TBC) you pay 40$. If you buy WotLK you pay another 40$. Then you can get Cataclysm. It is expensive, honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Resies View Post
    COD = 60, and it comes out yearly with almost no new content minus single player
    WoW xpacs = $40, come out bi yearly, lots of new content.

QQ Blizzard is a company out to make money.
    Not to mention how much more expensive it is to make cross platform games. There's a reason the majority of games available on PS3/XBOX are $60 and it's not because they're out to make more money.

15+ Year Old Account
    Cheaper than Wotlk out here, so I'm happy :P
    (Wotlk cost me 40$, getting Cata for 35$ ^^0

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmay View Post
    I think you are missing the point. The only reason why e-game is more expensive, is because of the retailers. Why would anyone go buy a copy from store, if you get it cheaper/at same price from online. Its to keep people buying from retailers and that you would have choice between comfort and price. Blizzard needs retailers and vice versa. They cant just piss off the stores by selling their product at the same price.

PS English is not my 1st language.
    But it's not more expensive than retailers! It's the same price.

Quote Originally Posted by sicness View Post
    Not to mention how much more expensive it is to make cross platform games. There's a reason the majority of games available on PS3/XBOX are $60 and it's not because they're out to make more money.
    You mean they can't just copy and paste!? /gasp.

Quote Originally Posted by Niter View Post
    Yes, the digital download costs more than it should.

No, stores should not suffer if the digital copy is cheaper. It is NOT the same product. If you buy it online and download the game, you get the game. If you buy the box, you SHOULD get more than just the game. Different products, it is not the same. I do not see how they would even compete against each other. It makes no sense at all.

I think the game itself is a little bit expensive if we consider the amount of players getting it, that it requires a monthly subscription, and how much the game costs if you are buying your keys or boxes or whatever for the first time. If you buy the Battlechest (Vanilla + TBC) you pay 40$. If you buy WotLK you pay another 40$. Then you can get Cataclysm. It is expensive, honestly.
    They're making another box set to get the two expansions with the original wow for only $40.

10+ Year Old Account
    In my opinion the online cost should be more than going to the store and picking it up. You pay for the convenience of never having to leave your home.
    "Believing something is not an accomplishment. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because “strength of belief” is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. Listen to any “die-hard” conservative or liberal talk about their deepest beliefs and you are listening to somebody who will never hear what you say on any matter that matters to them — unless you believe the same. Wherever there is a belief, there is a closed door."

Assume 2 years and $40 per expansion, and 6-month subscriptions, you pay $176 per year (USD, obviously) for WoW if you've been playing from the beginning. ($14.67/month.) If you're just starting now, though, the extra $80 on top is a bit steep.

All of the people complaining about this "injustice" aren't buying cata, correct? The only way to send a message is to vote with your wallet. If you buy cata at an "unjust price", you're sending them the message that you're ok with "their price gouging".

Quote Originally Posted by Sylreick View Post
    In my opinion the online cost should be more than going to the store and picking it up. You pay for the convenience of never having to leave your home.
    Blizzard must love you. "You'll sell me cata for $40? No, I want to pay you more money for the convenience! "

Quote Originally Posted by jakj View Post
    Assume 2 years and $40 per expansion, and 6-month subscriptions, you pay $176 per year (USD, obviously) for WoW if you've been playing from the beginning. ($14.67/month.) If you're just starting now, though, the extra $80 on top is a bit steep.
    Because the players who have been playing for years totally haven't paid more for the actual game discs / digital download than newer players?

They're making another box set to get the two expansions with the original wow for only $40.
    If you buy the two expansions together with Cata, it's $87 (after having already purchased vanilla). I just did that last night.

All of the people complaining about this "injustice" aren't buying cata, correct? The only way to send a message is to vote with your wallet. If you buy cata at an "unjust price", you're sending them the message that you're ok with "their price gouging".
    Like i said, i pre ordered mine at £18.90 a couple of months back, and as a good distributor amazon normally has it here the day before release too so i'll be ready to play come server launch along with the digital downloaders.

I just fail to see how blizz can jusstify charging more for a product when it's clearly cheaper to produce, socialogical arguments aside it should at the very least be the same price as a hard copy not more.

It's a convenience fee, really. You either go to the store at midnight and purchase a copy with a manual, box, and dvds, then you drive home and start the install, or you purchase it online for the same price with zero additional cost for Blizzard but you're good to go 10 minutes early and in the comfort of your own home. I do think it is excessive - I expected that digital preorders would be sent the box, dvds, and cd key after the fact since the cost remained the same... but alas...

I guess it is not unprecedented though. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that game you buy on Steam, for instance, cost the same as if you'd bought the box in stores. Wings of Liberty was $60 whether you bought it in stores or online. So I'm not surprised, but I am disappointed.

I'm confused, why are some saying it's more when it only charged me 39.99 on my card but store is that + tax? :X

Quote Originally Posted by Jeleh View Post
    Like i said, i pre ordered mine at £18.90 a couple of months back, and as a good distributor amazon normally has it here the day before release too so i'll be ready to play come server launch along with the digital downloaders.

I just fail to see how blizz can jusstify charging more for a product when it's clearly cheaper to produce, socialogical arguments aside it should at the very least be the same price as a hard copy not more.
    But it is the same price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-008-_-Product - $39.99
    http://www.amazon.com/World-Warcraft...406038&sr=8-10 $39.99
    http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/Prod...oduct_id=75807 $39.99
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/World+of...lysm&lp=2&cp=1 $39.99

It's $40 everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by tilgare View Post
    It's a convenience fee, really. You either go to the store at midnight and purchase a copy with a manual, box, and dvds, then you drive home and start the install, or you purchase it onl
    HOW IS IT A Convenience FEE WHEN IT MAY BE CHEAPER TO BUY ONLINE WITH REGARDS TO SALES TAX?

The majority of people may buy online, but that's not a true digital purchase considering you're still buying it from a 3rd party vendor and get the hard copy of the game delivered to you. A 'true' digital purchase is purchasing online without a hard copy and only a digital copy of the game available to download whenever you like.
    My point still applies, though. Since you're ordering from a website and having it shipped to your home, you never actually set foot in to a physical store. I'm not saying whether or not brick-and-mortars becoming less prevalent is a good thing or a bad thing, I'm just saying that's what's happening. Today's society tends to look for the path of least resistance. We love convenience. Online shopping and digital copies provide a sort of convenience that brick-and-mortars never can, and our habits in general show that.

Because the players who have been playing for years totally haven't paid more for the actual game discs / digital download than newer players?
    Did the original WoW cost more than $40? If so, then you're right. If not, then what the hell is your point?

$13/mo. subscription (* 12 months) + $40/2year for game (/ 2 years) = 13 * 12 + 40 / 2 = 176.

anyone can pre download with the file edit thing. only thing needed from the hard copy is the serial so its not saving you anything at except a trip to a shop or hoping it's delivered early from the retailer. I got mine for under 20 at jayisgames.

moontalon its not just convenient its cheaper with less costs they sell cheaper.
    Last edited by Vetis; 2010-11-10 at 04:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard must love you. "You'll sell me cata for $40? No, I want to pay you more money for the convenience! "

Never said I was going to purchase the online version. Just made a logical statement. Convenience is a commodity, that's why the products at a gas station cost more than they would at a grocery or department store. As goblins say, Time is money, friend.
    "Believing something is not an accomplishment. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because “strength of belief” is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. Listen to any “die-hard” conservative or liberal talk about their deepest beliefs and you are listening to somebody who will never hear what you say on any matter that matters to them — unless you believe the same. Wherever there is a belief, there is a closed door."

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    It costs more for me to go out on a bender over the course of a weekend than Cata and a year of WoW will cost, so I'm not going to complain about an extra few bucks/euros.

15+ Year Old Account
    tbh the price is fine the fact the other distributors/dealers offer it cheaper is because they are lowering their profit margin to get more customers
    besides blizzard wont go to offer it cheaper because this will be direct hit to those distributors/dealers ...
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

Q: Will WoW ever get a new weapon type?
    A. Tauren will be able to dual-wield gnomes on a stick.

Quote Originally Posted by jakj View Post
    Did the original WoW cost more than $40? If so, then you're right. If not, then what the hell is your point?

$13/mo. subscription (* 12 months) + $40/2year for game (/ 2 years) = 13 * 12 + 40 / 2 = 176.
    I paid $10 for vanilla wow and you can be sure as hell it was more than $10. Probably $40 - $60.

You can also buy the battle chest and get TBC and Vanilla for $40, when both of them separately went for that much or more.

Quote Originally Posted by foenyx View Post
    tbh the price is fine the fact the other distributors/dealers offer it cheaper is because they are lowering their profit margin to get more customers
    besides blizzard wont go to offer it cheaper because this will be direct hit to those distributors/dealers ...
    IT'S THE SAME PRICE FROM OTHER RETAILERS AS IT IS TO GET IT FROM BLIZZARD / rips hair out.