Thread: New Lock

Deleted

New Lock

Hey guys, I'm quite new to the game and I've been levelling a lock, currently at level 30.

I've been levelling with a friend rogue who is also the same level as me. Thing is, she's doing far more damage then me? Infact in dungeons, everyone bar mages is toppling my damage. This rogue friend DOUBLES my damage, easily.

I'm specced into affliction, am I doing something wrong? Whats the rotation and does anyone have a specific talent tree I should look at?

Any help and I'd really appreciate it

10+ Year Old Account
    As the mobs in dungeons die rather quickly these days its not enough time for you to be getting as much damage out with your dots than a rogue which u mentioned. If u want higher DPS while lvling in dungeons and such go destro or demo perhaps.
    On the other hand you should just lvl with the specc u find most enjoyable, demo/destro will in most cases be over affliction talking dungeon DPS charts, but if it's not that big a deal for you stick with what you enjoy. (That is, if u enjoy affli) ; o

EDIT: what tobiasx said ^^^^
    Last edited by towelie; 2010-11-12 at 11:00 AM.

affliction is a leveling spec, and if at all a DMG spec for LONG fights.
    Dualspec costs are down to 100 gold, so you might think of a second "instance" spec

/edit erm once you reach lvl40 and it gets available...

Deleted
    the best spec for dungens/raids are destro. Affliction are nice for pvp and demonology is good for lvl'ing

Quote Originally Posted by Claireshinda View Post
    the best spec for dungens/raids are destro. Affliction are nice for pvp and demonology is good for lvl'ing
    I beg to differ...Affil is epic in raids, if you have a braincell that is, atleast from my exp i used to be same if not more dps as destro locks when i raided :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Well. The first thing you need to do is log out, turn off recount, then log back in. Brilliant, now you can level in peace.

Anything below level 60 should not be worrying about their dps, because until you hit Outlands, your gear is going to be a mixture of stuff from level 20 to level 60 (depending on how fast you level). With 1/2 your gear being such low standards, and replacing so much of it so slowly before 60, you have an excuse for terrible damage/dps. When you hit 60, and hit the Outlands, you're going to be replacing every piece of gear roughly every 4 levels. THEN your stats will be on par with everyone else at your level, and your dps will be close. If not, log out again, and turn off recount until you hit level 80. Before 80, noone cares how little damage you do, or don't do, as long as you're doing SOMETHING.

Also, as previously mentioned: Affliction is a spec based on DoTs. The longer the boss fight goes for, the more damage you'll do, but on short boss fights you're lucky to get a few ticks off. Reroll demo or destro.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nyoh View Post
    I beg to differ...Affil is epic in raids, if you have a braincell that is, atleast from my exp i used to be same if not more dps as destro locks when i raided :P
    Well i raid as destro and im the best dps lock and one of the top dps's. But i guess it depends on playstyle and what you are most comfortable with as of the recent patch you do insane damage as destro

Deleted
    Thanks all

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Claireshinda View Post
    Well i raid as destro and im the best dps lock and one of the top dps's. But i guess it depends on playstyle and what you are most comfortable with as of the recent patch you do insane damage as destro
    It all depends on what you like, all the specs are pretty good but destro would be better for dungeons while leveling because you just burst mobs down so easily, but all specs are very good for raiding at the moment no one spec is REALLY superior.