Looking for Advice Holy paladin

Hey guys, Im looking for a little bit of help here. Im just getting back into wow since the new patch and im having some trouble picking up this new healing style for paladins. I understand what the spells do but I feel like im still behing the loop in things. I feel like the main spells im using at the moment are Divine light for tank heals or just any big heals at all. Holy light when it is a instant cast and holy shock when ever it is up and the new aoe healing spell when ever there is raid damage (cant think of the name of it right now) Is there a certian spell order I should be using if there is one? Also when it comes to gems now should I be looking into spirit or should I just keep my gems as Int still. Last question is how much of role does Mastery rating play for Holy Paladins now. Any tips or adive would be nice trying to get back into things as fast as i can. Sorry if there is a thread open already about this.
    Thanks every one

Link us your armory so I can tell you what you need based off of what you have. As a general rule Mastery is currently very subpar for Holy PvE and should be avoided. Personally, I reforged crit into spirit, and if I couldn't, crit into haste. As far as which heals to cast when, you have to find the perfect balance between not running out of mana and not delivering the required healing. Thats a personal decision.

Many holy paladins have been finding effectiveness from spamming Holy light and using flash of light when they need a large amount of healing. Divine light isn't finding much usage because its too slow to deliver healing in raids.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    Probably the best advice I can give you is to familiarize yourself with your spells and talents. You don't even know the name of our 31-point talent.

Apart from that, in terms of practical advice, Flash of Light is our quickest heal and does a very good amount of healing. If your gear's decent, you should be able to cast a great deal of FoLs without going out of mana.
    Kurn
    Kurn's Guide to Being a Kick-Ass Guild Master: http://kurn.info
    Blog: http://kurn.apotheosis-now.com Guild Spotlights: http://www.youtube.com/user/kurnmogh/

Deleted
    Agreed doing heroic modes icc 10 man tonight i found i cast divine light only twice the whole night. its just too slow to keep up with spike damage i didnt trust that i could get it off in time, kind of nerous about it( bar the times you can fire off a speeded up one but i still refrain)

basically if you make liberal use of your Word of glory spell at 2 or 3 stacks. and i mean use it as much as you can, you will the be able to afford to be a bit more spammy with flash heal when you find the healing requires a bit more oomph.

Holy shock is fantastic. be sure to pay attention to the double shock proc. its invaluable especially if your tank has grown too low. it also generates 1 holy power

beacon of light is a bit of a different beast than before. it heals for less than your used to. So dont rely on it to save the day. also healing your beacon target generates holy power for those free Word of Glories. be sure to give your beacon some love to keep holy power topped.

im not sure how helpful ive been, the best thing to do is just practice in a raid environment like VOA where the fights dont last long enough for you to wipe raid due to oom but have enough damage to test you a bit such as torvon.. Heroics 5 mans just wont give you enough of a challenge to get into he new type of healing and you might develop bad habits that dont translate well into raiding atm.

Mastery isnt fantastic. as said before spirit or haste is better until cata.
    Last edited by mmoc21829a8d84; 2010-11-13 at 04:00 AM.

3 HP Word of Glory > Holy shock whenever possible > Refresh beacon on tank > Filler casted.

As for filler, if holy shock crit, cast a DL or FoL first, followed by the HL.

If not, cast a DL or FoL followed by another FoL to lead into your next HS.

That is the basic 'rotation' for level 80.

For statting, Int > Spirit >= (based on gear) Haste > Crit=Mastery.

I'd imagine at 85 spirit will be better than haste overall, but at 80 and current retarded regen, haste can be considered much better. Int of course, is mana and spellpower now, making it a great regen//throughput stat, best of both worlds. Haste is haste, you cast faster. Crit is alot nicer than before the patch, as it gives you higher heals and can give you faster HL casts, but still nowhere near the other stats. Mastery is similar to crit, and situationally better, as it adds a shield that WILL give effective healing, while crit overheals will NOT give effective healing.

When only tank healing you gain holy power ~70% faster, so be sure to keep on top of your WoG uses. When raid-healing, make sure to watch the tank's health, since beacon is only a 50% transfer now, and you can use Light of Dawn to heal in small bursty aoe situations (decimate) or just on cooldown for long aoe fights (festergut).

As for gear, just a note about reforging:

If your piece contains Crit//Haste reforge some crit to spirit.

If your piece contains Crit//Spirit reforge some crit to haste.

If your piece contains Spirit//Haste, you're golden.

Not sure if I might've missed anything, but thats how I seem to have been able to be effective in raids at 80, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairu View Post
    As for gear, just a note about reforging:

If your piece contains Crit//Haste reforge some crit to spirit

Good advice.
    Summon Apollo's fire, with hell and heaven's might. Then with great force attend, the falling of all men.
    Release this captured world, from point of no return. Destruction has no end, unless you ride again.

If your piece contains Crit//Haste reforge some crit to spirit.

It's only good advice if your gear is sub par and you're in Heroic ICC 25 man progression. Since it's end of the expansion I doubt many people are like this. I never have mana issues but fully raid buffed I'm sitting around 47.5k. So to counteract this I only reforge into mastery. The reason behind this is that Crit is currently useless to a holy paladin. The reason is that our old talent that converted Crit into mana for us is currently gone. I know this reforging is still viable because on a normal fight like BQL heroic I still see a 42k Divine Light going off constantly, Crit is unneeded. On the other hand if you go with this mastery reforging technique, the new recount now has absorbs in your healing, so if you want to look good on the meters and get about a 20% boost in healing done on fights, go with mastery.

For healing wise, it's based off spell priority:

Use holy shock when day break is up.
    Divine light if only speed of light is up.
    Holy light if infusion of light is up.
    3 Holy power convert that to a word of glory.

If you constantly do that you won't have mana issues, you will always have the tank capped off, and if you get lucky it should only be a stream of procs.
    Last edited by helcast; 2010-11-14 at 11:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't believe it's right to state Holy has "rotations", or even priority lists. It's way too situational, it all depends on encounter and raid setup. Besides, damage in WotlK isn't the same as in Cata, not to mention bigger health pools an what not.
    Hi

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    I don't believe it's right to state Holy has "rotations", or even priority lists. It's way too situational, it all depends on encounter and raid setup. Besides, damage in WotlK isn't the same as in Cata, not to mention bigger health pools an what not.
    While the term isnt entirely correct. there is a rotation of sorts/ priority to building up the most efficent healing/proc stream. you are entirely correct in saying that healing is entirely situational and thusly this goes out the window more oft than not i certainly never manage it in reality . but on paper yes there is an optimal "rotation or priority" in getting the most efficient output and should be said or known to all holy paladins.

With healing at 85 and the larger health pools will we actually have the health pools to work this "rotation" since the spike damage isnt as bananas as Wrath?? i cannot say since im not on the beta. any one here know if the damage is still too thick and fast for us to do anything like this?

but i do stand by my view that all holy paladins should know how synergistic our spells etc are. As in what Kairu outlines above

We as players should and do (in my case) want to move the community as a whole away from the spam mentality and turn it into thinking about your heals or optimal "Rotations" in order to conserve mana.
    Last edited by mmoc21829a8d84; 2010-11-14 at 02:53 PM. Reason: chaged a bit to sound more relaxed and not confrontational

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's my "rotation". Beacon of Light on the tank which takes less damage than the other (if AoE, Beacon on Main). Spamming Holy Light no matter what (unless the tank is taking loads of damage), Holy Shock, using Word of Glory if needed and occasionally Divine Light/Flash of Light if needed.

Deleted
    yeah i would love to have the confidence to plonk in some more divine lights. even with them speeded up to 1.6 seconds or 1.4 (i cant remember offhand) i seem to always resort to flashing instead. doing putricide hc mode i used forced myself to use it more often, namely during the odd lul to top up the abomination if im honest. and our mt took very manageable damage so i threw the occasional one on him instead of flashing.

i suppose itll serve more use at 85? the odd few videos ive seen its still not used very much. Anyone reading here has first hand exp?

The general advice might be slightly different than some of the other posters. Any habits you pick up at level 80 healing as a Holy Paladin will definitely change when you reach level 85 content. In current content mana is a non-issue for 99% of the encounters if you are geared accordingly. However, this drastically changes at level 85. I have been playing my holy Paladin quite a bit on Beta lately.

I have found at 85 Crit/Haste/Mastery are about equal as a secondary stat. Crit is valuable now because any crit heals does not result in massive overhealing. It generally translates into effective healing. Gearing your Holy Paladin is going to be about balancing stats. If you feel like you’re missing something in general you will be reforging for that stat.

For 85 you will rely on spells light Divine Light a lot less. It’s a fairly slow and costly spell. I found in general if an heal that large is required my Word of Glory is almost always the better spell. Damage is predictable in Cataclysm so you have time to determine your healing strategy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cellice View Post
    For 85 you will rely on spells light Divine Light a lot less. It’s a fairly slow and costly spell. I found in general if an heal that large is required my Word of Glory is almost always the better spell. Damage is predictable in Cataclysm so you have time to determine your healing strategy.
    ah right. ty for the heads up

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malphaz View Post
    While the term isnt entirely correct. there is a rotation of sorts/ priority to building up the most efficent healing/proc stream. you are entirely correct in saying that healing is entirely situational and thusly this goes out the window more oft than not i certainly never manage it in reality . but on paper yes there is an optimal "rotation or priority" in getting the most efficient output and should be said or known to all holy paladins.

With healing at 85 and the larger health pools will we actually have the health pools to work this "rotation" since the spike damage isnt as bananas as Wrath?? i cannot say since im not on the beta. any one here know if the damage is still too thick and fast for us to do anything like this?
    Well, sure. But one thing to also remember is that when comparing healers in current content, disc priests and resto druids are very powerful due to their shields and hots. Think about it, with Cataclysm everyone will have very big health pools, but as of now, we have quite small, thus these classes preforms exceptionally well in comparison to Paladins who has more or less big heals for those big health pools that are coming. I went a bit off-topic, but my [b]point[b/] is that in Cataclysm, things will be different just because of the new gear / stat increase. And then the so called priority list might change.

but i do stand by my view that all holy paladins should know how synergistic our spells etc are. As in what Kairu outlines above
    Indeed. I never really understood why people play a class they know nothing about. There is a lot more fun to know what you're doing, and then get maybe even get positive feedback.
    Hi

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    Indeed. I never really understood why people play a class they know nothing about. There is a lot more fun to know what you're doing, and then get maybe even get positive feedback.
    Oh big time! i remember i came back to holy for 4.01 and i went into healing blind to the changes to see if i could work it out myself..

needless to say i managed ok grand out. but a few hours later and after researching and visiting tankspots guide and the one here, The output increased sure but omg holy had become far far more fun. i had left holy for the last month or 2 to level some alts. and im so happy to return to find it not broken but way more awesome.