Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Mage specc decision

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...lvanas&cn=Eora

That is my mage and i am thinking of if i am to low in haste and crit to be able to use fire as it should. Or if i shall respecc to arcane instead.
    I have played it as a alt before but when i started to play it abit more i enjoyed it to much to not have it as a main so thats why i am kinda low on my gear.

So what is the best solution for me to maximize my dps in the specc way? Fire or arcane?

I'm no theorycrafter at all, but I chose to go fire over arcane, even though arcane would be a damage increase, solely for the sake of fun...
    We have two main mages in my raid team, the other is arcane, and on single target fights, they usually win... but only just, even when they have better gear.

So, if you practice your fire and stick to it, I think you will see an improvement and have fun... or just respecc arcane, reforge mastery and get that arcane blast button ready!

Is that 38.13% Crit including Molten Armor when you logged out?

Either way, your first priority as fire would be to hit 37.5% haste raid buffed. Crit although still king for fire, isn't as urgent to make it viable early on with the new Tier 3 Hotstreak. T3 HS scales inversely as your crit raises...

T3 and T4 cross at about 34% crit chance.
    The inverse scaling of Tier 3 HotStreak hits 0 after 47% Crit

Could get more mathy or you can read it on http://elitistjerks.com/f75/t104767-...pdated_4_01_a/

Either way, this close to Cataclysm, I'd recommend going fire and getting accustomed to the priority system vs a simple rotation. Arcane isn't viable at the early levels of raiding in Cata, Fire and Frost both are.

"It may be your $14.99, but it's the raid's $374.75" -- Ralask <Nether>, Senjin.
    Mage Moderator | Forum Guidelines | MMO IRC | Arcane Mage FAQ | TT7 R.I.P.

Deleted
    no it isnt.. With molten armor i got 43.13% in crit..
    I am thinking about a thing tbh..

i am trying to count on if i buy http://www.wowhead.com/item=50357. if i can make it profitable in any way since i will have like 153 overhit capped.If i buy that i can reforge/regem my gear so i dont have that much over hitcapped but i will loose that talisman and with that i will loose 128 intellect and that is sp/crit aswell so i dont know if i can get it protifable in any way.

I was arcane before but since the patch with arcane just spamming arcane blast i cant see the fun in that one so i want to be fire just because its more fun. Thats why i am thinking of this so much since i wanna do my best dps as i can in raids since i am new in a guild and i dont want to be slacking so they kick me out o.O
    I want that fucking muradins spyglass heroic so i can get more crit but that havent dropped for me in 6 months and when it finaly dropped a stupid warlock won it over me and he is a noob so he doesnt deserves it.
    Its my luck in wow tbh. I have had DFO dropped like 4-5 times and everytime someone overbidds me in dkp or i will loose the roll. So i need to get the best gear setup as possible with what i have to work with / or can get myself by doing heroics and such.
    I have the sanctified legs but i dont see the point in wearing them atm since i have the 4 parts bonus but i will loose haste then :/

Deleted
    I asked it already in another thread, but I doubt 37.something % haste softcap is good aim, especially at lower gear levels. Don't know when but 2pt10 was changed to 12% haste on proc, therefore more crit brings more chances for that 12% haste - I'm yet to test it in raid / do math, but at my gear lvl it seems to work better.

Edit: Better keep that matter in one thread kk ?
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...=1#post9420711
    Last edited by mmoc8c38b7d291; 2010-11-14 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Ordnung must sein !

Quote Originally Posted by Aumi View Post
    no it isnt.. With molten armor i got 43.13% in crit..
    I am thinking about a thing tbh..

i am trying to count on if i buy http://www.wowhead.com/item=50357. if i can make it profitable in any way since i will have like 153 overhit capped.If i buy that i can reforge/regem my gear so i dont have that much over hitcapped but i will loose that talisman and with that i will loose 128 intellect and that is sp/crit aswell so i dont know if i can get it protifable in any way.

I was arcane before but since the patch with arcane just spamming arcane blast i cant see the fun in that one so i want to be fire just because its more fun. Thats why i am thinking of this so much since i wanna do my best dps as i can in raids since i am new in a guild and i dont want to be slacking so they kick me out o.O
    I want that fucking muradins spyglass heroic so i can get more crit but that havent dropped for me in 6 months and when it finaly dropped a stupid warlock won it over me and he is a noob so he doesnt deserves it.
    Its my luck in wow tbh. I have had DFO dropped like 4-5 times and everytime someone overbidds me in dkp or i will loose the roll. So i need to get the best gear setup as possible with what i have to work with / or can get myself by doing heroics and such.
    I have the sanctified legs but i dont see the point in wearing them atm since i have the 4 parts bonus but i will loose haste then :/
    Don't buy that trinket if you're gonna be way over hit cap, it's a waste even if you change 62 hit off of it and still are over hit cap your losing other stats on ur other trinket.

Deleted
    i will be like 153 points over hitcapped with that trinket. but then i can reforge/regem my gear so i will be less. i think i can get away like 100 totaly. but i dont know if i gain that much haste/crit for it to be profitable that way.
    I just wanna be fire since its more fun than arcane but arcane is my best choice if i wanna maximize my dps in my current gear.
    This is making my head spinn. What do i choose o.O. :/

15+ Year Old Account
    Errr, fire is by far the worst spec to start raiding any into tier with (true in vanilla though that was for different reasons, true for kara in TBC, and true for naxx in WotLK). The spec is simply too gear dependent to make it viable for progression raiding in the first tier. Once you're geared, then sure, go right ahead and switch, but when you're starting out, Frost provides the best progression benefit, Arcane is the "in-between" spec meaning it will eek out a bit more DPS than Frost once you have some raiding purples, and when you're fully geared, you can go any spec you want, with a majority leaning towards fire.
    BfA Beta Time

Deleted
    I am not new or so. I joined a guild that is progressing on LK 25 man hm o.O Thats why i wanna maximize my dps on my mage.

I have 12/12 on my warlock so i know all about the things what u need to do etc but i am a nub in mageways just.
    Thats why i needed some help :/

I'd try out frost. Atm I've been goin back and fourth through fire and frost and not seeing too much diff. Frost i've been seeing 16k dps on fights.

Angelblãde of Turalyon

15+ Year Old Account
    I am not new or so. I joined a guild that is progressing on LK 25 man hm o.O Thats why i wanna maximize my dps on my mage.

I have 12/12 on my warlock so i know all about the things what u need to do etc but i am a nub in mageways just.
    Thats why i needed some help :/
    Fire, hands down.

Spec 2/31/3, sit back, and enjoy watching everything in that room burn to hell.
    BfA Beta Time

Deleted
    Swizzle: I wanna be fire but as u can see in my previous post i am kinda worried i dont have the enough crit/haste :<

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Heilige View Post
    Either way, this close to Cataclysm, I'd recommend going fire and getting accustomed to the priority system vs a simple rotation. Arcane isn't viable at the early levels of raiding in Cata, Fire and Frost both are.
    You obviously are a very mistaken individual. Fire has terrible mana problems on beta ATM for any fight over 3 minutes or so. Arcane and Frost are the two viable specs, with Arcane slightly edging Frost out.

15+ Year Old Account
    Swizzle: I wanna be fire but as u can see in my previous post i am kinda worried i dont have the enough crit/haste :<
    It's still the best spec for H LK due to the nature of the fight.
    BfA Beta Time

Deleted
    okey then i stay that then but i dont know how to count on if its worth for me to buy the iLVL 264 trinket from JP with hit. and then reforge/regem away thoose hit into haste/crit. I dont know if its profitable for me since then i will loose the talisman trinket with 128 int :O

15+ Year Old Account
    Just wait for PotNL or DFO to drop, don't waste points on the quill.
    BfA Beta Time

Deleted
    the thing is we dont do anymore full runs i think. Since we are just going to progress on LK until cata/until he is dead in HM and i wanna be prepared. So this is the only choice i have :/
    And since i can spam dungeons with a prot warrior i get the points quite fast

Arcane is going to top fire in a majority of the fights, where as fights with mutliple mob management. Fire will sky rocket past. With talents like pyromaniac. I found that putting those 3 LB out during spirits, focusing one with some ignites rolling, combustion, ignite, and watch as those things drop like flys. Your stats are technically "Fire-ready" or at least enough to put on par with arcane. Trinkets make me sad :P

15+ Year Old Account
    Get the haste trinket from ToC 5 man normal, it's better than quill.
    BfA Beta Time

While it's neither quantitative nor authoritative, I just hit 80 on my Mage this evening and spent the night running Heroics as Fire, and it's quite possibly the most entertaining spec I've ever played in this game. I can't recommend giving it a shot strong enough. Lighting shit on fire is just plain fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    Get the haste trinket from ToC 5 man normal, it's better than quill.
    Unless you have absolute gobs of Hit, way over the cap, I can't imagine how this could be true. Quill provides more static SP and reforging allows it to give 61 Haste as well. So, unless you're to the point where 23 Haste is outweighing 91 Hit, your claim seems blatantly untrue.
    Last edited by Spectral; 2010-11-15 at 03:45 AM.