By not using numbers since they turned out arbitrary. It's either 10/10godtier, good, alright, or shit.

Depends...If recommending i try to customize to the individuals tastes.

As for rating...That one i just give what i feel is right..Like some of my ABSOLUTE FAVORITES may not get more then a 5 or 6...So i guess i go by artistic merit and overall sense of how well made it is even something as simple as a well executed story with a good message...So i guess the story and message are what are most important to me...Thus why Code Geass and Elfen Lied ALWAYS get high ratings abd most gundam series.

Quote Originally Posted by Neichus View Post
    This talk of recommendation makes me wonder: how people go about ranking series?

Like, I was just thinking the other day that for me I use MAL, which has a 1-10 system. I use
    5> - I tend not to recommend and rarely finish, so there aren't many on my list.
    5 - Baseline "average."
    6 - A bit better. Kind of mixed in with 5's.
    7 - Has something I liked about it definitely, but either was just "okay" or missed the mark if it aimed high.
    8 - Worth watching if you're into the particular genre, and is worth a check out even if you aren't.
    9 - Very good, should watch unless you're really not into the genre.
    10 - I've only tossed Gunslinger Girl a 10, and that's because I'm a twerp. I'm not really sure if I have a fair way to judge this category, I just use GSG as my "top anchor" series.

I was kind of curious if people have anything like that in their heads as they go to rank things or if I'm just being extra-organized (as though somebody's going to grade my ranking system...).
    Thats about how I rank mine, though I'm A LOT more generous with 10s. Went back through my 10s to bring a lot down 1-3 because I was "hyped" when ranking them rofl.

Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Now, this is important: I do not even try to be objective(Yeah, that's a 5/5 on Mirai Nikki and 4.5/5 on Sword Art Online. Bite me :P). I rate anime based on my own experience alone, not on community voices or "neutral quality". For example, I abhor bad(Anime original endings! Gods!) manga, LN and VN adaptations. To list out one of VERY affected notes, Narutaru is one of my all-time favourite mangas while the anime got 1/5 from me.

There is no reason to try and be objective, those are your ratings and expression of your preference. Conforming to anything is pointless.
    I'm vary rarely objective myself too. SAO would have gotten a solid 8 or 9 out of 10 for me if it stayed just like the first episode, but it just went downill from there and got a 6/10.

Mirai Nikki was a 7/10.

---------- Post added 2013-06-21 at 02:22 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tealgod View Post
    Thats about how I rank mine, though I'm A LOT more generous with 10s. Went back through my 10s to bring a lot down 1-3 because I was "hyped" when ranking them rofl.
    That's the biggest problem with ranking for me. I realize looking back they got worse or better scores than they deserved.

I think everyone suffers from that problem. For me, it is rare for an anime to stay the same score, I usually lower it after the hype has worn off.

A lot of people dont do 10s at all, which basically makes 9 the 10. I understand 10 should be "perfect masterpieces", but if you tell yourself I won't give anything a 10, you end up noting using it

Quote Originally Posted by Tealgod View Post
    A lot of people dont do 10s at all, which basically makes 9 the 10. I understand 10 should be "perfect masterpieces", but if you tell yourself I won't give anything a 10, you end up noting using it
    I did that for too long, then I realized nothing is perfect so you might as well just give 10/10 to the shows that matter to you the most that you think did as good a job as they could.

Yeah, that's kind of my bad habit as well. I can always think of something wrong with a series, even if it's minor, so I'm extra stingy with them. Another aspect is that I definitely rank GSG the highest of the series I've seen and so I'm hesitant to rank others as 10 and put them alongside.

There are a lot of shows that are way better when they still have that "new show appeal", that I'll actually go back and rate lower eventually. Seems like it's pretty common.

That said, I have a decent amount of 10s, and they're just the ones I love the most. Personal ratings should never be purely objective, that's what reviews are for.

The one thing I dislike about MAL is no VNs. Would be nice if they added a section for that.

i give out point for VA Storywriting art style animation quality how well they all work together story fluidty and if all of those are top then its a 4.5/5 for me the 5/5 are for me only my absolute all time favourites that i can watch again and again ^^ like Full Metal Panic i have atleast watched it 4 times now because best animu eva!

also 5/5 hard to get only 12 out of 395 animes ;X (and i have not many ova's and movies so is pretty much all shows) also most of my ratings are close to the average on AP.

and as far as i recomend stuff its basicly the 5's and the 4.5 simply because thats already atleast 1 month worth of animes
    Last edited by Valynvin; 2013-06-21 at 06:08 AM.

Anime-List
    Hearthstone: Inngrimsch #2408
    Steam
    LoL

Quote Originally Posted by Brincamian View Post
    The one thing I dislike about MAL is no VNs. Would be nice if they added a section for that.
    I would love this so much.

---------- Post added 2013-06-21 at 08:58 AM ----------

McDonalds - There are just too many amazing things with this episode. Best part was the underwear pose though.

Arata - Catching up with this show after being behind a few episodes (like half the shows this season) and seeing Arata in Japan punch that one guy made me dance with joy. I seriously want to just throw that guy down a hole. Yes Arata probably embarrassed him and his life is shit because of it but COME. ON.

dat yahari ore episode awesome as always ;P loved hikis speech on the roof ;D also which of the 2 is gonna wind up winning the amazing boyfriend? xP

Anime-List
    Steam
    LoL

Quote Originally Posted by Valynvin View Post
    dat yahari ore episode awesome as always ;P loved hikis speech on the roof ;D also which of the 2 is gonna wind up winning the amazing boyfriend? xP
    What do you mean "which of the two"? He's gonna go for the yaoi hole of the prince.
    "Defending a position by citing free speech is the ultimate concession: you're saying that literally the most compelling thing you can say for it is that it's not illegal to express."

:< that would be awkward ;P and which of the 2 guys u mean anyway? the feminine tennis guys or the blonde mr perfect nice guy guy ;P

Anime-List
    Steam
    LoL

Quote Originally Posted by Valynvin View Post
    :< that would be awkward ;P and which of the 2 guys u mean anyway? the feminine tennis guys or the blonde mr perfect nice guy guy ;P
    That should be rather obvious.
    "Defending a position by citing free speech is the ultimate concession: you're saying that literally the most compelling thing you can say for it is that it's not illegal to express."

the feminine tennis guy

tennis? I just watched it and I have no idea what you're talking about ;/

Quote Originally Posted by Kurumi View Post
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...ets-2nd-season
    It's happening
    I'm getting a new season!
    Ohgodyesyesyes. Can't wait for the storm twins.

Glad Date a Live is getting a second season.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    tennis? I just watched it and I have no idea what you're talking about ;/
    Saika. The trap.