Gaming wise ive been playing them since i was 5 on my NES, 28 years later still playing them.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Quote Originally Posted by Goriq View Post
    Oh... alright. A lot of my friends actually are like that tho.
    I mean technically yeah you can think "oh god I spent x number of hours in front of a computer I could have done so much in that time!", but to me I spent it doing something I enjoy so it's not wasted time.

At one point my dad tried to say something to me about raiding in WoW and how I spend too much time on it (actual dedicated time spent on raiding has never surpassed 10 hours a week for me, spread between a few nights). I compared it to his fishing club, he spends time and money fishing with people he enjoys, and puts a large investment of his time into it. I put some time and money into raiding which I really enjoy, so technically it's the same thing just my "club" is online.

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    I would melt in that situation too, but only because I'm so used to this lifestyle now, which is terrifying in of itself.
    I've always been like this. I always hated summer vaca's from school and not only because I hate the heat, but because there is nothing to do so it ends up going by super fast and next thing I know I'm in school again. At least now I have anime/my own comp to use on time off.

- - - Updated - - -

Remember this?

I SHALL MAKE IT WORK
    /10Chaika

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxweii View Post
    I've always been like this. I always hated summer vaca's from school and not only because I hate the heat, but because there is nothing to do so it ends up going by super fast and next thing I know I'm in school again. At least now I have anime/my own comp to use on time off.
    By the time I was a teenager my summer holidays were working 30-40 hours a week at McDonalds for 4 years.

Man I am like 40 or so episode into D.Greyman I need to finish it I started it a year ago
    Yeah you really do need to finish it. The OST alone is worth it. You also ended at a bad spot, you are about to see some shit that pulls you in and wont let you go.

Almost done responding to comments. I'll post these for now.

Then make that distinction before just saying it, as a low brow series sounds like a kinder way of saying "shit but enjoyable". While the actual meaning is "Lowbrow, relating to, or suitable for a person with little taste or intellectual interest", I figured it would be more polite to assume you mean "shit but enjoyable".
    There seems to be a misunderstanding between us. Both of your definitions you provided are correct in what I meant. IS S1 for example. That show is a trashy ecchi harem, but I like it. That's a lowbrow series.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah it's redundant arguing with Hemo but I guess we like to stir up "discussion" sometimes
    I'll take redundant arguments over pages of gifs any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Swisted View Post
    I think what annoys people is that you tell someone not to watch a show that you didnt like, rather then say "I didnt like it because of this and this, but you would have to watch it to see for yourself"

Using Chaika and Naruto as an example, you like Naruto while others dont, would you want someone to say "Dont watch it, its only fillers and flashbacks and they dont fight like ninjas hurr durr"? That doesnt really explain why they dont like it, they dont say that the flashbacks are important to the story nor do they say that the fillers only happened cause it almost caught up to the manga and people liked the show so much that they wanted the show to continue even as an original story.

With Chaika, you cant tell someone "Dont watch it, its bad" and expect people to take it as a reasonable answer, It's always better to say why you didnt like it but atleast tell them to try it, if they thought it was interesting enough to ask about it, they deserve an answer better than "Dont watch, its bad"
    If someone wants to know why I didn't like a show after I've dismissed it, I'm perfectly fine on elaborating.

My point is that entertainment/enjoyment isn't the sole measure of quality. Some of the iconic scenes in reference are not necessarily entertaining but traumatic or ideologically important, for example. Some works are completely devoid of any real entertainment, enjoyment or engagement but they still have merit.
    Certainly, I can agree with that. But just because a show has merit, doesn't excuse it from me not enjoying it. I mentioned Bacanno earlier. I recognize the fact that the show has merit to it and I don't find it odd that people like it. I however don't, which is why I dropped it.

I think we have a bit of a misunderstanding on what I deem as entertaining, too. You mention certain scenes in Chaika as being traumatic or ideologically important. These are types of scenes that you derive a different type of enjoyment from, but I still classify under the umbrella of entertaining because they enrich the experience and add depth to the series, which overall increases my enjoyment I get from the show. (Clannad AS Major Spoilers) An example of this is when Tomoya is in the field of sunflowers (I think?) with his child after being separated for so long, and he tells her she can cry. That was a wonderful scene. It wasn't entertaining in the traditional sense, but it was entertaining nonetheless. it made the series better. And you're right, scenes like these do make the series. But they made the series because they were built upon the rest of the show and it's what allowed scenes like that to have the impact that they do. Chaika may have some iconic moments, but if I'm not invested in the rest of the show these moments aren't going to be nearly as special.

10+ Year Old Account
    I need a Chaika image to switch to in my sig when I go Chaika mode.

Help

Offtopic BIIG time here. Just wanted to say that one of the best Movie Series out there is Pirates of the Caribbean.

I may or may not be on SyFy.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoma View Post
    looks lewd, i approve

Yeah you really do need to finish it. The OST alone is worth it. You also ended at a bad spot, you are about to see some shit that pulls you in and wont let you go.
    I ended right as they were done with the town doll creepy thing? and then there was some graveyard thing after as well and they were just getting into a like winter area or some shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoma View Post
    I would ask it to be animated a bit but that might make it lewd

- - - Updated - - -

Offtopic BIIG time here. Just wanted to say that one of the best Movie Series out there is Pirates of the Caribbean.

I may or may not be on SyFy.
    Taking em forever to make the last few movies of it

oh god they're still milking it?

I ended right as they were done with the town doll creepy thing? and then there was some graveyard thing after as well and they were just getting into a like winter area or some shit.

Yeah you left off at a terrible part. Your at episode 48-49 or something. In like 4episodes, shit gets real so fucking quick. Something unexpected happens and you get sucked in BIG TIME. You should really finish it asap.

The next movies are going to be soo good. Though i think Jack Sparrow is going to be out of those. er sorry, thats Captain Jack Sparrow.

Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    It's been said it was guna have a set number of videos since it started being made, I think it was 6? Not sure, swapping around some gear atm so can't check

So, I know that Fate/Stay Night will be out later this year and that there's some anime about Ilya and of course Carnival Phantasm, but is there anything else I can watch or would I have to play the VN to get the most out of this universe?
    you can watch the Illya anime. Carnival phantasm you really need to be familiar with FS/N
    old fs/n anime isn't really as bad as everyone says. most of those people are familiar with the vn too which has tons more material
    Last edited by bals; 2014-07-15 at 01:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    You calm down with your hate. If not Captain Jack Sparrow will come after yee

10+ Year Old Account
    So, I know that Fate/Stay Night will be out later this year and that there's some anime about Ilya and of course Carnival Phantasm, but is there anything else I can watch or would I have to play the VN to get the most out of this universe?
    Illya I would wait until doing anything with F/SN (even the old anime series) just to know a bit of the original "fifth holy grail war". Carnival Phantasm uses the "expanded" nasuverse which includes F/SN (and its "expansion" VN), and tsukihime with its expansions as well. But even without knowing most of the characters it is hilarious.
    [CENTER]

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemoglobin View Post
    Certainly, I can agree with that. But just because a show has merit, doesn't excuse it from me not enjoying it. I mentioned Bacanno earlier. I recognize the fact that the show has merit to it and I don't find it odd that people like it. I however don't, which is why I dropped it.

I think we have a bit of a misunderstanding on what I deem as entertaining, too. You mention certain scenes in Chaika as being traumatic or ideologically important. These are types of scenes that you derive a different type of enjoyment from, but I still classify under the umbrella of entertaining because they enrich the experience and add depth to the series, which overall increases my enjoyment I get from the show. (Clannad AS Major Spoilers) An example of this is when Tomoya is in the field of sunflowers (I think?) with his child after being separated for so long, and he tells her she can cry. That was a wonderful scene. It wasn't entertaining in the traditional sense, but it was entertaining nonetheless. it made the series better. And you're right, scenes like these do make the series. But they made the series because they were built upon the rest of the show and it's what allowed scenes like that to have the impact that they do. Chaika may have some iconic moments, but if I'm not invested in the rest of the show these moments aren't going to be nearly as special.
    Bolded: Sorry wasn't referring to Chaika there, but TTGL, I may have accidentally wrote that a little misleadingly. Chaika is a little more traditionally entertainment focused with only some ideological questions asked. TTGL in it's completeness can actually be horrifyingly depressing if you read too far past the action on the surface. It actually got me thinking on a really shitty tangent that I struggle to deal with IRL and I just started bawling when I went to bed the moment after I finished the last episode.

I was actually going to use Clannad: AS in my post as an example, because there are a number of scenes that are important but traumatic or highly meaningful. I was crying almost every episode in the second half, not just from the two particular gut-wrenching scenes but from the other events too.

But yeah, I think it's important that we qualify our interpretation of terms such as entertainment, otherwise we have misunderstandings like this.

As for scenes, I think it depends on the material. Sometimes the scenes build upon the rest of the show, sometimes a mid-late scene can change the tone or direction for the rest of the show (which is the case in TTGL), sometimes it can be "we had mild fun at this point, but then this part took us for a ride!" (which is more or less how I view Chaika).

Gintama for example is similar to One Piece in that some people can't stomach the opening. Gintama starts off for about 30-40 episodes as a very episodic comedy with a few good/sad feels here and there, and at times it begins to feel kind of pointless. Then the Benizakura arc happens, and you're treated to drama/action at a level that you're rarely exposed to. You're then given more and more of these amazing arcs between episodic comedy cycles and that becomes Gintama. I like to think of One Piece as the same, the depth of the show changes a lot between the beginnings where Luffy was only just beginning to build his crew, to the events of Arlong Park, Baratie, the Bellamy punch, Water 7/Enies Lobby, the Tenryuubito punch (SO MUCH SIGNIFICANCE), Marineford and now Dressrosa. The bits in between have quality but I see the defining moments as what makes One Piece.

- - - Updated - - -

I always hated the idea of summer jobs. Earning some money is cool, but I think free time, time I can use however I please, is one of the things I value the most.
    I still worked when I was off holiday, just in the afternoons after school and on the weekends.
    Last edited by Radio; 2014-07-15 at 02:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    A few years ago I would've rather killed myself than live such a life, lol.
    Most of the money was going towards rent and food for the family.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's a good cause then. Still, that's a lifestyle I really didn't want to end up in.
    It's a lifestyle that a lot of people end up in though, going against it can be challenging.

I need to find a job cant right now, that or win the lottery.