10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chadiu View Post
    Well, I now understand why Fate Zero gets so much praise. I love how it actually has interesting characters, instead of the (mostly) utterly boring characters of Fate/Stay Night.
    Now they just need to announce an Apocrypha anime directed by Urobuchi and have Commie's translation of the first chapter be released and my life would be made.

Seeing Vlad III, Frankenstein, loli Jack the Ripper, Mordred, Achilles, Shakespeare, Spartacus, and more duke it out would make me wet.

Finally, after waiting forever for it to come out and be subbed, I got to watch Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki. Holy crap was it good. One of the best anime movies I've seen. Absolutely loved it.

---------- Post added 2013-03-07 at 07:53 AM ----------

http://randomc.net/2013/03/05/potent...ai-yori-novel/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    Caine, all anime websites have an awful community. MAL, ANN, AniDB, /a/, no exceptions.
    There's "bad community" and there's putting comment "Light Novel series, aka fanservice moe stuff in disguise. I really wish Shinbou and the staff at SHAFT would stop wasting their talent on all that moe stuff and make something original and interesting for a change." on Bakemonogatari, then bashing anyone calling them out on stupidity of doing so before anything aired. I have yet to see any site worse in that regard than AniDB. >.>
    Also, of course SAO is a harem. Sure there is one girl that it's obvious he'll be with in the end, but that's the same for pretty much every harem.
    So far any other female character, outside of his sister, has been episodical in the anime, barely having any screen time after their five minutes. It's not that it's obvious who he will end up with, it's that he ended up with Asuna within first few episodes/barely halfway through the first volume of the novel. Harem is not supposed to have one member for 70% of the series and two members is not enough for one either. You can't call every single series with more than one female character appearing in it a harem...

Well, I now understand why Fate Zero gets so much praise. I love how it actually has interesting characters, instead of the (mostly) utterly boring characters of Fate/Stay Night.
    Fate/Stay Night anime is tragically terrible. Give the visual novel a read instead, it's at least just as good as FZ.
    Last edited by mmocab3a46fee3; 2013-03-07 at 09:17 AM.

Deleted
    GJ-bu is pretty funny. Sorta reminds me of Lucky Star, except without all the anime references.
    I can't get enough of it! Easily my favourite show of the season. Fanservice has never been so cute!

Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    I guess I brainfarted? Wanted to re-watch the series in order to watch Shoushitsu with the show fresh in my head and ended up deciding to hunt for any peculiarities in the Eight. That particular decision was regretted, but Shoushitsu is so fucking good it made up for it tenfold. I don't know why have I left it unwatched up until now, it's a god damn masterpiece. [url=http://i.imgur.com/rbcBYQc.jpg]Epic Kyon is Epic.[/url] I loved how Kyon threatened the Data Integration Thought Entity with destruction of entire universe, I loved the human Nagato showing an entire array of emotions, I loved the amount of twists and story stuffed into what would take roughly 8 episodes to air, I loved the alien-Nagato smiling in the post-credits scene. I have enjoyed every single part of this anime and the only thing I dislike is the fact there's no telling when will the rest of the novels be animated. :<
    Ah, I guess I can understand wanting to immerse yourself in the story before watching the movie. It really is a lovely film. Weird, but nice vibe.

I'd love to see more of Haruhi get animated (with less stuff like Eight happening). Not that I want KyoAni to do badly, but hopefully they can only take so many Hyoukas and Tomato Market sales numbers before they fall back on making a Haruhi or K-On! season 3.
    Last edited by mmocf558c230a5; 2013-03-07 at 04:31 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Robutt View Post
    I'd love to see more of Haruhi get animated (with less stuff like Eight happening). Not that I want KyoAni to do badly, but hopefully they can only take so many Hyoukas and Tomato Market sales numbers before they fall back on making a Haruhi or K-On! season 3.
    Haruhi will be continued. Endless Eight or not, it's immensely popular and the fans who claim they stopped watching the show because of it are acting more tsun-tsun than Luise from Zero no Tsukaima and Taiga from Toradora! combined. The animation is not even halfway through eleven volumes of the novels, so we're probably up for a some 50+ additional episodes or 5-6 more movies in total.

Deleted
    Gj-bu
    Kyoroko best girl. Yup.

10+ Year Old Account
    So far any other female character, outside of his sister, has been episodical in the anime, barely having any screen time after their five minutes. It's not that it's obvious who he will end up with, it's that he ended up with Asuna within first few episodes/barely halfway through the first volume of the novel. Harem is not supposed to have one member for 70% of the series and two members is not enough for one either. You can't call every single series with more than one female character appearing in it a harem...
    A harem is a bunch of girls who love the main guy character, which is what SAO is. In almost every harem I have seen the girl the main guy ends up with is decided in the first few seconds of the show, but it's still a harem because there are a few other girls who also want to be with the main guy. They don't have to show up every episode to be part of the harem.

If the other girls weren't attracted to Kirito the second they put their eyes on him and loved other people or didn't love anyone else, it wouldn't be a harem.

Deleted
    A harem is a bunch of girls who love the main guy character, which is what SAO is. In almost every harem I have seen the girl the main guy ends up with is decided in the first few seconds of the show, but it's still a harem because there are a few other girls who also want to be with the main guy. They don't have to show up every episode to be part of the harem.

If the other girls weren't attracted to Kirito the second they put their eyes on him and loved other people or didn't love anyone else, it wouldn't be a harem.
    A few definitions of "Harem anime": AniDB's, TVTropes', Wiki's.

For SAO to be a harem anime the supposed Kirito's "harem" would have to play any kind of role in the plot and its members would have to stay relevant throughout the story, in any way. ANY kind of amorous actions from a few girls other than Asuna towards Kirito would also be desirable. However, after their arcs are done, both Silica and Lisbeth are relegated to the role of background, outside of the story completely. It's not that they do not appear in every episode - they never appear again in any meaningful role, both in anime and in novels. Kirito's sister gets a more prominent place than the rest of "harem" members, but that's only one - and two do not make a harem, especially if one of them openly gives up on pursuing the relationship. Yui also has a spot saved for her throughout the series - but the feelings that AI has towards Kirito are clearly shown as non-romantic love. She sees Kirito as a fatherly figure, without any romantic or sexual subtext. Novels inside>>>> The same goes for new female leads introduced in further novels - the one from GGO is reduced to the same role as Lisbeth and Silica and she's not even romantically interested in Kirito; the one from Mother's Rosario has nearly 0 contact with him as Asuna is the star of that novel - and well, she dies at the end to cement her absence in the harem plan; and the one from Alicization(which I have not read yet, only begun) seems to have a prince of her own prepared already.

Yes, there is plenty of females in SAO as every second story has its' own female lead for Kirito to save. However, they do not form a harem around him - it's not that it's clear that Asuna is going to win out of all harem members, it's that she already [i]married[/i] Krito and probably would not hesitate to formally do so in real world if not for their age.
    Last edited by mmocab3a46fee3; 2013-03-07 at 05:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    A harem is a bunch of girls who love the main guy character, which is what SAO is...
    Then Clannad (mostly S1) would be a harem too ... just kidding, I know what you mean.

Uhmm I don't see SAO as a harem since... well Caine explains it well. The girls in CGO and after don't really fall in love with him.

This looks like it could be interesting. It's an anime adaption based off the visual novel Grisaia no Kajitsu.

Mihama Academy - on the surface, a closed learning environment established to nurture students who find themselves at odds with the world around them; in actuality, an orchard-cum-prison built to preserve fruit that has fallen too far from its tree.

Whatever the circumstances behind its establishment, Mihama Academy is at present home to five female students, all with their own reasons for "enrollment." For better or worse, each girl has established a routine obliging of her current situation; life moves at an idle, yet accommodating pace within the walls of Mihama.

Yet with the arrival of the institute's first male student, the nearly preposterously opaque Kazami Yuuji, the students at Mihama begin to fall out of step with their predetermined rhythms. Will Yuuji prove to be the element the girls around him needed to take hold of their lives once more, or will the weight of their pasts prove too steep a wall to overcome?

And in the first place, just who is Kazami Yuuji? While the true nature of the "job" he is wont to allude to at the most haphazard of moments remains shrouded in secrecy, one thing is for certain - his encroachment upon the quiet orchard known as Mihama Academy will prove itself momentous in one way or another. And of course, one cannot discount the possibility that perhaps Yuuji himself carries the weightiest past of any of the students...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemoglobin View Post
    an orchard-cum-prison
    Haha what is this even.

SAO is pretty haremy, I don't see how anyone can deny that lol. While it's not like shows that are specifically about the harem, it still does have a lot of the aspects of a harem. The harem part is not as prevalent, but it's still there.

---------- Post added 2013-03-07 at 05:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Okuu View Post
    Haha what is this even.
    That had me wondering as well lol.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

It all comes down to how you define a harem, and what you have there is certainly a very broad definition, which would also include stuff like Toradora, Clannad, and just about every other romance anime ever. As I see it, there's a difference between an anime having a harem, and an anime being a harem.
    Last edited by Erihs; 2013-03-07 at 06:09 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Erihs View Post
    It all comes down to how you define a harem, and what you have there is certainly a very broad definition, which would also include stuff like Toradora, Clannad, and just about every other romance anime ever. As I see it, there's a difference between an anime having a harem, and an anime being a harem.
    Shounens as well. Ichigo's rackin' 'em in, man! Rukia, Orihime, Vizard gal, Niel, some other episodical girls as well of various other species... Naruto's not bad either - Sakura, that white-eyed girl whose name I can't remember, some foreign princesses from movies.

If you expand the definiton of "Harem anime" to "anime which features more than one female with some degree of romantic feelings towards the protagonist" you just included nearly every single anime ever produced into that genre.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddisho View Post
    Then Clannad (mostly S1) would be a harem too ... just kidding, I know what you mean.
    I definitely see the first season of Clannad as a harem and always have.

Quote Originally Posted by Erihs View Post
    Toradora isn't as harem-y as Clannad is just because there aren't as many girls flocking around the MC. It's probably less of a harem than SAO is. I do define a harem as a bunch of girls in love with the main guy, no matter where they are in the story or how long they where in it.

If you expand the definiton of "Harem anime" to "anime which features more than one female with some degree of romantic feelings towards the protagonist" you just included nearly every single anime ever produced into that genre.
    There are loads of harems out there. Loads and loads. If more than 3 people show romantic interest towards the MC it's a harem. Below that is just a love triangle.

Deleted
    I do define a harem as a bunch of girls in love with the main guy, no matter where they are in the story or how long they where in it.

There are loads of harems out there. Loads and loads. If more than 3 people show romantic interest towards the MC it's a harem. Below that is just a love triangle.
    You lack distinction between "Anime is of harem genre" and "Anime features elements of harem genre", that's the problem here. Earlier on I wrote why exactly SAO belongs to the latter, not the former - can't explain it any clearer than in my small wall of text earlier. Tomodachi ga Sukunai, To Love-Ru or High School DxD would be examples of the former while every second anime in existence would be an example of the latter. If you keep treating those without distinction you will be misunderstood very often and dragged into verbal arguments as calling a serious anime "harem" is often going to rile its' fans up.
    Last edited by mmocab3a46fee3; 2013-03-07 at 06:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You lack distinction between "Anime is of harem genre" and "Anime features elements of harem genre", that's the problem here. Earlier on I wrote why exactly SAO belongs to the latter, not the former - can't explain it any clearer than in my small wall of text earlier. Tomodachi ga Sukunai, To Love-Ru or High School DxD would be examples of the former while every second anime in existence would be an example of the latter. If you keep treating those without distinction you will be misunderstood very often and dragged into verbal arguments as calling a serious anime "harem" is often going to rile its' fans up.
    I still keep to the definition of what a harem is. A single guy that is liked by and followed by a bunch of girls, generally 3 more more, who are all in love with him. SAO had that, Clannad had that, and so did many others. Just because a show is a harem doesn't mean it can't be anything else. A show doesn't have to fall under a single genre, but can fall under multiple genres.

The "anime is of harem genre" and "anime features elements of harem genre" are pretty much the same thing. If it has harem aspects, it's a harem, but it doesn't mean it's only a harem.

Also, a harem doesn't have to be a comedy. It can be as serious as the storytellers want it to be.

Out of all the shows I've watched I would only classify Campione!, Clannad, Demon King, Kanon, Kono Naka, Oda Nobuna, Onii-chan Dakedo, Heaven's Lost Property, OreShura, Yosuga no Sora, Sword Art Online, and Toradora!, and maybe Monogatari as harems. (Not even going into reverse-harems) I'd actually say there aren't as many harems out there as people think. Many shows aren't harems in the slightest.

I would say that SAO was a harem in the first arc only. In the second arc it was only Asuna and Suguha vying for Kirito's attention.
    Last edited by Zatheyll; 2013-03-07 at 07:16 PM.

Deleted
    If the trigger for anime being a harem is "true love" as you say about Haganai then SAO can't be a harem as only Asuna and Suguha "truly love" Kirito - other girls simply admire him, for some period of time, after he saved their lives. Other girls also do not follow the protagonist, so that's one more reason why it's not a harem even by your definition. Or maybe is Haganai a harem after all? Rika is more than open about her intents, Maria's sister is showing more than a bit of interest in him and Yukimura would happily bend over and is probably just confusing love and admiration with her broken mind.

I'll say it again, you generalize too much. For SAO to fit into "harem" genre, even as one among others, the girls and their feelings would have to last beyond their 20 minutes/30 pages.

10+ Year Old Account
    Haganai "weeeeeeee..." Not subbed yet but im guessing (from LN) This is after Kodaka tells him he is not dating Sena.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the trigger for anime being a harem is "true love" as you say about Haganai then SAO can't be a harem as only Asuna and Suguha "truly love" Kirito - other girls simply admire him, for some period of time, after he saved their lives. Other girls also do not follow the protagonist, so that's one more reason why it's not a harem even by your definition. Or maybe is Haganai a harem after all? Rika is more than open about her intents, Maria's sister is showing more than a bit of interest in him and Yukimura would happily bend over and is probably just confusing love and admiration with her broken mind.

I'll say it again, you generalize too much. For SAO to fit into "harem" genre, even as one among others, the girls and their feelings would have to last beyond their 20 minutes/30 pages.
    I was wrong on Haganai, thinking about it there are more girls that are in love with him than just Sena and Yozora. The other girls in SAO definitely loved Kirito though.

I'd say given the chance any of the girls in SAO would go out with/marry Kirito. The writer for SAO just sucks and can't write about more than two characters at a time.