1. #18181
    Herald of the Titans Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Warsaw
    Posts
    2,933
    Was SSY censored in any way in the TV broadcast? Or Blu-rays only provide better quality?
    "Defending a position by citing free speech is the ultimate concession: you're saying that literally the most compelling thing you can say for it is that it's not illegal to express."

  2. #18182
    Epic! Zatheyll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Academy City
    Posts
    1,705
    Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    No censorship IIRC. Some episodes had quite brutal scenes.
    If I remember correctly some of the brutal scenes were slightly censored, like it being partially put in shadows. Nothing big though. BD's are still worth it, the difference between 720p TV and 1080p BD is insane. Though the size is giant, only the first episode BD has been done by UTW and the 1080p is 2.1GB.

    Saw first few seconds of Date a Live rip, such awful quality I think I cried then went over and deleted the file.

  3. #18183
    Herald of the Titans Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Warsaw
    Posts
    2,933
    Well, I have a small screen(1024x768 resolution on a 17" CRT.) so for me there is virtually no difference between 720p and 1080p. And the BDs are going to take ages to release.
    "Defending a position by citing free speech is the ultimate concession: you're saying that literally the most compelling thing you can say for it is that it's not illegal to express."

  4. #18184
    Epic! Zatheyll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Academy City
    Posts
    1,705
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Well, I have a small screen(1024x768 resolution on a 17" CRT.) so for me there is virtually no difference between 720p and 1080p. And the BDs are going to take ages to release.
    720p and 1080p TV rips can only be seen a difference of by around 80" or higher I believe, and only slight. The difference between 720p and 1080p BD rips can be seen even on a smaller monitor though, just in the grain.

  5. #18185
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    720p and 1080p TV rips can only be seen a difference of by around 80" or higher I believe, and only slight. The difference between 720p and 1080p BD rips can be seen even on a smaller monitor though, just in the grain.
    What anime even air in 1080p on tv? I don't remember any being released this season or last that could be downloaded in 1080p. I've only seen 720p releases for shows that come out and if it's 1080p it's always been an upscale. The only shows I see put out in 1080p that aren't the BDs are Crunchy Roll's simulcasts done by Horrible Subs. For those I can actually tell the difference between the 720p and 1080p Horrible Subs versions, but I'm guessing that's only because it's actually the quality settings you can choose from on the streaming site and they just upload both versions.

  6. #18186
    I hope the next seasons Anime have more worth watching than the last 6 months or so, looks promising.
    Was anyone else a tad disappointed that Vivid Red Operation didn't climax to a vivid red lesbo orgy? cause it sooo looked like it was heading that way

  7. #18187
    Epic! Zatheyll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Academy City
    Posts
    1,705
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemoglobin View Post
    What anime even air in 1080p on tv? I don't remember any being released this season or last that could be downloaded in 1080p. I've only seen 720p releases for shows that come out and if it's 1080p it's always been an upscale. The only shows I see put out in 1080p that aren't the BDs are Crunchy Roll's simulcasts done by Horrible Subs. For those I can actually tell the difference between the 720p and 1080p Horrible Subs versions, but I'm guessing that's only because it's actually the quality settings you can choose from on the streaming site and they just upload both versions.
    None do, it's normally just CR upscales that only show a bit of a difference with a big screen.

  8. #18188
    Herald of the Titans Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Warsaw
    Posts
    2,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Lagwin View Post
    I hope the next seasons Anime have more worth watching than the last 6 months or so, looks promising.
    Why? Last 6 months had plenty of great series.
    "Defending a position by citing free speech is the ultimate concession: you're saying that literally the most compelling thing you can say for it is that it's not illegal to express."

  9. #18189
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Why? Last 6 months had plenty of great series.
    Depends on your taste...i found most of them bland and slipping back to the overkill psudo porn fan service.
    Even the ones i stuck with this season were a bit meh

  10. #18190
    Herald of the Titans Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Warsaw
    Posts
    2,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Lagwin View Post
    Depends on your taste...i found most of them bland and slipping back to the overkill psudo porn fan service.
    Even the ones i stuck with this season were a bit meh
    Shin Sekai Yori, Psycho-Pass, Maou Maoyuu Yuusha, Zetsuen no Tempest, Magi, Mondai-Ji-tachi, Btooom, Sword Art Online, Kamisama Hajimemashita, Binbougami ga, Oda Nobuna no Yabou, Eureka Seven AO. Some of the high-quality series from last couple seasons - and I only picked those devoid of excessive fanservice. There's plenty more if you do not classify an anime as shit if it is not completely chaste.
    "Defending a position by citing free speech is the ultimate concession: you're saying that literally the most compelling thing you can say for it is that it's not illegal to express."

  11. #18191
    Epic! Zatheyll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Academy City
    Posts
    1,705
    Quote Originally Posted by Lagwin View Post
    Depends on your taste...i found most of them bland and slipping back to the overkill psudo porn fan service.
    Even the ones i stuck with this season were a bit meh
    The only ones you described are Hagure Yuusha, Dakara Boku, and To Love-Ru Darkness.

    None of the others in the past 9 months were anywhere close to that. Many of them, like Shin Sekai Yori, Psycho-Pass, and Zetsuen no Tempest had excellent stories.

    Looking at the chart this season will have far more fanservice, harems, and slice of life stuff than any of the recent seasons previous.

    ---------- Post added 2013-04-02 at 09:13 PM ----------

    Let's look at the charts of the past 3 seasons.

    Summer:

    Fanservice - Oda Nobuna, Binbougami, Kono Naka, Hagura Yuusha, Dakara Boku, Campione!, Ebiten

    Great Story/Fun to Watch - Tari Tari, Jinrui, Oda Nobuna, Koi to Senkyo, Kokoro Connect, Binbougami

    Fall:

    Fanservice - Btooom!, K, OniAi, To-Love Ru

    Great Story/Fun to Watch - Magi, Sakurasou, Tonari, Kamisama Kiss, Chu2Koi, Psycho-Pass, Robotics;Notes, Zetsuen no Tempest, K, Shin Sekai Yori, Little Busters

    Winter:

    Fanservice - Vividred (kinda), Samurai Girls show

    Great Story/Fun to Watch - Love Live!, Amnesia, Unlimited, Tamako Market, GJ-bu, Sasami-san, Vividred, Haganai, MMY, Mondaijitachi, Chihayafuru, OreShura, Minami-ke


    Looking at that the worst season was probably Summer but even that had some great one cour shows. Fall was incredibly strong with many great 2 cour shows and just a few fanservice-y shows, and Winter had barely any fanservice and many great shows rivaling Fall.


    Eyeing next seasons chart I can see 14 shows that look like possible fanservice or fanservice-y shows.

  12. #18192
    This last season didn't have much that appealed to me. Most of my enjoyment came from the shows continuing from the fall. Maoyuu was a letdown for me as well, which was unfortunate. I was hoping Maou would be a bit more eloquent like Horo.

    Suisei no Gargantia and Shingeki no Kyojin have me excited for this coming Sunday, though!

  13. #18193
    Herald of the Titans Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Warsaw
    Posts
    2,933
    Question about OreImo - in which order should I watch ep12? True Route one first or second?
    "Defending a position by citing free speech is the ultimate concession: you're saying that literally the most compelling thing you can say for it is that it's not illegal to express."

  14. #18194
    Herald of the Titans Zelgius's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    TRUMPETS
    Posts
    2,547
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Question about OreImo - in which order should I watch ep12? True Route one first or second?
    Watch ep 12 first, then start ep 12 true route at around half the time, where he buys the eroge for her.
    True route has 3 episodes after that featuring Kuroneko as the Main.
    ~ "Crying is a luxury I cannot afford." ~

  15. #18195
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    , Psycho-Pass, , Zetsuen no Tempest, Magi, Mondai-Ji-tachi, Btooom, Sword Art Online, Kamisama Hajimemashita, Binbougami ga, Oda Nobuna no Yabou, Eureka Seven AO. Some of the high-quality series from last couple seasons - and I only picked those devoid of excessive fanservice. There's plenty more if you do not classify an anime as shit if it is not completely chaste.
    I never called any of them shit...not to my taste which is personal opinion, and an observation that they are slipping back to the bland fan service, psudo hentai, genric moeblob stuff that the japanese seem to love.

    Oda Nobuna no Yabou= generic harem loli anime
    Shin Sekai Yori, watched to about hald way didn't take my fancy
    Maou Maoyuu Yuusha, again watched to over half way and ended up dropping it
    Zetsuen no Tempest, not one i watched as it didn't take my fancy at all
    Magi, watched over half of it before i lost interest.
    Btooom, watched the lot...blatant fan service(bomb bouncing of her tit) manageable story but nothing great
    Sword Art Online, watched and loved it despite the meh ending and lackluster second arc.
    Kamisama Hajimemashita, not to my taste.
    Binbougami ga, watched and liked despite the tendency to fan service...at least it had some good comedy
    Eureka Seven AO, not watched it yet...don't know if i will as it seems it was an alternate story arc to the original

    again all personal taste.

    Also watched and liked Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!,Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb,Girls und Panzer,Minami-ke Tadaima,GJ-bu,Kotoura-san,
    And as a completionist Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai Next which as a bit crap up to the end...prefered the first season much more.
    And Vividred Operation which was pretty damned generic, at least the mashed a load of the genres together.
    Last edited by Lagwin; 2013-04-02 at 10:38 PM.

  16. #18196
    Scarab Lord Sesto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,284
    Just started Mirai Nikki. Seems like a cool plot. Pink haired chick is kinda creepy.

  17. #18197
    Blademaster
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Lagwin View Post
    an observation that they are slipping back to the bland fan service, psudo hentai, genric moeblob stuff that the japanese seem to love.
    Do you really feel like anime ever left the "bland fan service, psudo hentai, genric moeblob stuff"? Personally I feel that anime hasn't really changed much during the last decade. And people have been complaining about moe since the early 90's.

    I do agree with you, however, that the last couple of seasons haven't been all that great, but it's not because it's slipping back into something it never left.

  18. #18198
    Herald of the Titans Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Warsaw
    Posts
    2,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Lagwin View Post
    I never called any of them shit...not to my taste which is personal opinion, and an observation that they are slipping back to the bland fan service, psudo hentai, genric moeblob stuff that the japanese seem to love.

    Oda Nobuna no Yabou= generic harem loli anime
    Shin Sekai Yori, watched to about hald way didn't take my fancy
    Maou Maoyuu Yuusha, again watched to over half way and ended up dropping it
    Zetsuen no Tempest, not one i watched as it didn't take my fancy at all
    Magi, watched over half of it before i lost interest.
    Btooom, watched the lot...blatant fan service(bomb bouncing of her tit) manageable story but nothing great
    Sword Art Online, watched and loved it despite the meh ending and lackluster second arc.
    Kamisama Hajimemashita, not to my taste.
    Binbougami ga, watched and liked despite the tendency to fan service...at least it had some good comedy
    Eureka Seven AO, not watched it yet...don't know if i will as it seems it was an alternate story arc to the original

    again all personal taste.

    Also watched and liked Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!,Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb,Girls und Panzer,Minami-ke Tadaima,GJ-bu,Kotoura-san,
    And as a completionist Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai Next which as a bit crap up to the end...prefered the first season much more.
    And Vividred Operation which was pretty damned generic, at least the mashed a load of the genres together.
    I feel you are too judgemental of new anime series - for example, Oda Nobuna no Yabou is hardly a generic harem anime; though if you watch first 2-3 episodes and drop it after that I guess you could get that impression. You have dropped some really, really awesome series this season - what exactly do you look for in anime if you apparently dislike both light fanservice/entertainment series and heavy, plot-driven ones? Of course it all comes down to personal taste, but if you dislike everything then there's something wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by chadiu View Post
    Just started Mirai Nikki. Seems like a cool plot. Pink haired chick is kinda creepy.
    Yuno is the best girl ever. She's to die for.
    "Defending a position by citing free speech is the ultimate concession: you're saying that literally the most compelling thing you can say for it is that it's not illegal to express."

  19. #18199
    Quote Originally Posted by Erihs View Post
    Do you really feel like anime ever left the "bland fan service, psudo hentai, genric moeblob stuff"? Personally I feel that anime hasn't really changed much during the last decade. And people have been complaining about moe since the early 90's.
    Not entirely, the problem is that it seems to be all they focus on some seasons, there was a year or so of having virtually nothing but, then they tried to force a stupid censor that they panicked about and they released more great series, it's started to drop again though.

    I like sci-fi/fantasy and comedy...i'll take some fanservice and some slice of life but only in small doses.

    ---------- Post added 2013-04-03 at 12:33 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    I feel you are too judgemental of new anime series - for example, Oda Nobuna no Yabou is hardly a generic harem anime; though if you watch first 2-3 episodes and drop it after that I guess you could get that impression. You have dropped some really, really awesome series this season - what exactly do you look for in anime if you apparently dislike both light fanservice/entertainment series and heavy, plot-driven ones? Of course it all comes down to personal taste, but if you dislike everything then there's something wrong.
    I tend to pick up every series give them 2 or 3 episode to see if the can keep me watching doesn't matter the type usually. some i'll continue watching like most in the last 6 months until half way or more if it hadn't picked up by then it get's dumped...most of the ones that get dumped are the hareems pointless fanservice ones mostly because pointless fan service has nothing to keep you watching past some soft core and badly censored hentai, hareems can just be plain tedious if the main character sucks and most do in that genre.

    I have seen and bought a few hundred DVD's worth and downloaded and archived over 200 series in the last 10 years or so so i don't dislike everything.

    As for the coming season

    Devil Survivor 2 The Animation
    Suisei no Gargantia
    Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince
    Hataraku Maou-sama!
    Hyakka Ryouran: Samurai Bride
    Zettai Bouei Leviathan
    Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai.
    Shingeki no Kyojin
    Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S

    All have my interest though it is likely one or 2 may be dropped, i will also have a look at

    Aiura
    Yuyushiki
    Aura: Maryuuinkouga Saigo no Tatakai
    Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko.
    DD Hokuto no Ken (2013)
    Last edited by Lagwin; 2013-04-02 at 11:41 PM.

  20. #18200
    Scarab Lord Sesto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,284
    After finishing episode 3 of Mirai Nikki my opinion of Yuno changed from "kinda creepy" to "incredibly fucking creepy".

    Also started Bakemonogatari (can't seem to really focus on a single series lately, i watch multiple at the same time), it is also pretty good.
    Last edited by Sesto; 2013-04-03 at 02:33 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •