10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lizon View Post
    Really anyone who likes Action Anime's should watch Katanagatari. That anime was IMO the best anime of the year by a mile. Here's the official promo on it. It was released as a single 45m episode every month for 12 months. It was epic.

I'm going to watch this now. I've been trying to figure out who that white hair'd girl is for a while. I thought she was something from Heart Catch but i was wrong, and now I know. Thank you for the info!

Also, Fate/Stay Night is fun if you've played the game or read up on it. Like most animes baised offa those semi-hentai games, it takes the "true end" route and just sticks with it though the entire thing, which can be stupid cause its usally not the one the fans want. LIke in FSN.

Besides Rider is awesome.
    "When I grew up, I gave up childish things; Including the fear of being childish" Random commenter on Youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by TheImmortalLordAtlas View Post
    Watch Yosuga no Sora
    I would advise you give people the disclaimer to this show before you blindly set them down this road. It has uncensored awesome which blew my mind how it got on television but im not one to argue with awesome wincest fanservice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just finished Code Geass, I'd label it as a must watch for anyone who enjoys mystery, action, and pure awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Makina View Post
    I would advise you give people the disclaimer to this show before you blindly set them down this road. It has uncensored awesome which blew my mind how it got on television but im not one to argue with awesome wincest fanservice.
    I did that on purpose for shock value.

Quote Originally Posted by TheImmortalLordAtlas View Post
    Watch Yosuga no Sora
    Yeah folks, before you watch it be advised. It does contain adult content, and some of it is rather explicit. So if you are easily offended or are a little squeamish about uncomfortable situations, stay away.

Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    Still surprised there are only 8 posts mentioning Code Geass in this thread.

Out of the 10-15 anime that I've seen, I've noticed a pattern. Their endings were absolutely horrible. I don't just mean bad, I mean they were a special kind of awful. It's like Anime writers do not understand how to end a series. Ending a series in the middle of somebody jumping IS NOT AN ENDING. I'm looking at you Air Gear.

I won't say much to avoid spoiling it, but I will say this: Code Geass's ending was near perfect. I loved almost every second of the show (it did have its flaws in a few specific episodes... I think maybe 3-4 out of around 50), but the ending just made me burst out into tears (of sadness or happiness, I won't say), and I think I watched it maybe 20 or 30 times? I had it on loop at one point.
    i feel i should shed a bit of light on this one since not many people understood the concept behind the Air Gear anime, and incidentally Tenjou Tenge.

They were never meant to be a full time run anime series. Both of them were released as an incentive for people to get the general idea of the Manga. Oogure Ito (also know as Oh Great!) was against it from the very beginning.

Basically both series we're released under the" this anime covers the first X volumes, read further if you want to know what happens next" banner.
    Perspective is like a coin. It has two faces, but most people fail to see both.

15+ Year Old Account
    Wow, this thread goes fast. Glanced through the pages and did catch the Anime "Katanagatari".
    Now, I haven't seen the last episode yet, but I can say that this is indeed one hell of an Anime.

Just as a FYI, the style looks strange at the start, but you'll be used to it once you reach episode 3.
    Dawwwwwww

Quote Originally Posted by bahumut5 View Post
    Wow, this thread goes fast. Glanced through the pages and did catch the Anime "Katanagatari".
    Now, I haven't seen the last episode yet, but I can say that this is indeed one hell of an Anime.

Just as a FYI, the style looks strange at the start, but you'll be used to it once you reach episode 3.
    if there's anything noteworthy about this particular anime, then its the ammount of lines the characters have.
    they talk SO MUCH.
    not necessarely a bad thing, i kinda got tired of all the anime where everything happened in a flash, then you have to stop, go back and read/listen what they said since you were too busy watching what was happening.
    Perspective is like a coin. It has two faces, but most people fail to see both.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenshiva View Post
    if there's anything noteworthy about this particular anime, then its the ammount of lines the characters have.
    they talk SO MUCH.
    not necessarely a bad thing, i kinda got tired of all the anime where everything happened in a flash, then you have to stop, go back and read/listen what they said since you were too busy watching what was happening.
    To me that's one of it's strengths. The dialogue really makes the fighting even more epic. It's more, I guess cerebral.

The dialogue makes the fights more emotional, I had the hairs on the back of my neck standing up by the time the final battle hit. I was so stoked.

The music is awesome too. ^.^

Now if you like anime's that strike a strong emotional chord. I highly recommend Angel Beats as well. The artwork is simply beautiful, and the story is like the layers of a Rose or an Onion. The story keeps pealing away, layer by layer. It's not one where you know exactly what's going to happen in the end. It's a very touching piece of work.

Note: I just started an anime-planet profile. 26 Anime's thus far and I've only gone through A. This may take a while. o.O
    Last edited by lizon; 2011-01-02 at 08:00 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Although Angel Beats was beautiful, the ending was a little bit lame.
    I would have liked how the story ended for some more Characters in stead of those select few :/
    Dawwwwwww

Quote Originally Posted by bahumut5 View Post
    Although Angel Beats was beautiful, the ending was a little bit lame.
    I would have liked how the story ended for some more Characters in stead of those select few :/
    "The Aniplex producer of Angel Beats!, Hironori Toba, was interviewed in the November 2009 issue of Dengeki G's Magazine, where he commented that a 13-episode anime with about 21 minutes per episode was not enough to tell the whole story of Angel Beats! Maeda had envisioned. Therefore, the various additional media, such as the illustrated short stories and manga, contain some of the story that was unable to make it into the anime because of time constraints. Toba wanted fans of the series to be able to enjoy it to the fullest by exploring all of the media types."

The manga as far as ive read is nowhere near the ending, but it does have some goodies right from the start, maybe you should take it up for a look

Quote Originally Posted by Deamoneyes View Post
    "The Aniplex producer of Angel Beats!, Hironori Toba, was interviewed in the November 2009 issue of Dengeki G's Magazine, where he commented that a 13-episode anime with about 21 minutes per episode was not enough to tell the whole story of Angel Beats! Maeda had envisioned. Therefore, the various additional media, such as the illustrated short stories and manga, contain some of the story that was unable to make it into the anime because of time constraints. Toba wanted fans of the series to be able to enjoy it to the fullest by exploring all of the media types."

The manga as far as ive read is nowhere near the ending, but it does have some goodies right from the start, maybe you should take it up for a look
    I still enjoyed the anime despite the constraints. I thought they did a good job overall.

Deleted
    If you're looking for a comedy you should definetly check out Genshiken.
    The only movie I can think of at the moment that is not really shounen would be Akira a pretty old (but good) one
    Romance/Drama is something I*d prefer not watching......
    The only other thing I could think of that might be of your interest is Lupin the 3rd, pretty good mix of action and comedy

10+ Year Old Account
    Now if you like anime's that strike a strong emotional chord. I highly recommend Angel Beats as well. The artwork is simply beautiful, and the story is like the layers of a Rose or an Onion. The story keeps pealing away, layer by layer. It's not one where you know exactly what's going to happen in the end. It's a very touching piece of work.
    i really enjoyed Angel Beats! (and will likely put it in my list some time, as i've said before), but i keep wondering...
    did you people ever see a really "touching piece of work" with a "strong emotional chord"? xD
    (and that's not only adressed at you, lizon. i always wondered when someone said how sad or touching this anime was)

i know that's obviously mostly my own opinion, but the drama elements of Angel Beats! were really very cheap, shallow, unrealistic and poorly written, compared to some of it's other elements (comedy, action) and compared to maaaany real drama anime.
    again, i liked the anime and the characters, but the drama parts were nowhere as well made or touching as in other anime from the same writer(s)/producer/whoever. for me, it wasn't a drama anime (which it is intended to be), but a comedy/action anime with a unique background.

I still enjoyed the anime despite the constraints. I thought they did a good job overall.
    Look a few pages back and youll see that ive been recommending it for a while now, loved it, however bahamut post said he wanted to know the endings of more than the main crew, which the manga possibly adds upp with. Second season might give a few insights aswell, althou its said to not follow Otonashi & co.

Quote Originally Posted by Sy View Post
    i really enjoyed Angel Beats! (and will likely put it in my list some time, as i've said before), but i keep wondering...
    did you people ever see a really "touching piece of work" with a "strong emotional chord"? xD
    (and that's not only adressed at you, lizon. i always wondered when someone said how sad or touching this anime was)

i know that's obviously mostly my own opinion, but the drama elements of Angel Beats! were really very cheap, shallow, unrealistic and poorly written, compared to some of it's other elements (comedy, action) and compared to maaaany real drama anime.
    again, i liked the anime and the characters, but the drama parts were nowhere as well made or touching as in other anime from the same writer(s)/producer/whoever. for me, it wasn't a drama anime (which it is intended to be), but a comedy/action anime with a unique background.
    It's been my experience that the anime, tv shows, and movies that often have the strongest emotional pull are the ones with the simplest stories. It's the simple stories that we, the viewers, can most closely relate to and thus we get drawn into this types of stories easier than something that's really out there and strange. I mean really go down your list of all time great anime's, tv shows, and movies and look at their stories. Their simple!

It's a Wonderful Life
    The Wizard of Oz
    K-ON!
    Star Wars (The original trilogy)
    Lassie
    Seinfeld
    Scrapped Princess

All of these movies, tv shows, and anime's all have simple stories at their very core. And it's that simplicity that makes them great.

With an Anime like angel beats you can take one of 3 approaches to it. You can explain everything thoroughly over a long season or multiple seasons. You can try to explain everything like Katanagatari did with long drawn out dialogue. Or you can keep the story simple so that everyone can understand and get through as much of the story as possible. Given the restrictions that the director and producers had on this anime I think they made the right decision in simplifying the story so they can get the most done in the time given. I don't fault them nor diminish the anime for that decision, on the contrary I praise them for it. And that's why it stuck a strong chord with me. ^.^

Quote Originally Posted by Deamoneyes View Post
    Look a few pages back and youll see that ive been recommending it for a while now, loved it, however bahamut post said he wanted to know the endings of more than the main crew, which the manga possibly adds upp with. Second season might give a few insights aswell, althou its said to not follow Otonashi & co.
    Yeah the second season is supposed to have a whole new cast. Not sure how that's gonna pan out.
    Last edited by lizon; 2011-01-02 at 07:43 PM.

Deleted
    Anyone who says that doesnt like shonen is a big big liar!

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is by far my favorite anime complete season.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptacizob View Post
    Anyone who says that doesnt like shonen is a big big liar!
    Liking Shonen anime/manga and thinking it's the best style are 2 different things. I prefer Seinen myself.

Shonen = Pokemon / Beach
    Seinen = K-ON! / Dance in the Vampire Bund
    Last edited by lizon; 2011-01-02 at 08:02 PM.

Shoneh = Pokemon / Bleach
    Seinen = K-ON! / Dance in the Vampire Bund
    Please tell me your reading that :<
    When the spiderguy popped up i simply put the anime down to rest :/