Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    LoTRO: Great content, great concept, great crafting. But the gameplay was meh.
    Age of Conan: System requirements were too ridiculously high. Loved the game, but the tech killed it for me.
    WAR: Launch was fantastic. Questing was decent. RVR combat was insanely fun. But it didn't have staying power.
    Aion: Actually played this quite a bit, pre-ordered and everything. I enjoyed the combat, but quests were lacking.
    SWTOR: I have high hopes for this one. I'm big on character development and story, and I trust Bioware to pull it off. Also nice to get away from the fantasy world that every other game has been pushing.

A Pokémon MMO would still wipe the floor with any of the above + WoW, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    The first one for me was Guild Wars. I liked the whole play two classes as one deal, but lost interest really quickly because of the lack of spells I could put on my bar. (I do want to try Guild Wars 2 though)

The second one(s) was a time I just wanted try a bunch of different MMOs just to see if there was anything better. So I tried Rappelz(a free one) which was good, but I couldn't figure out how to speak in trade and got stuck on a quest. Then I tried EQ2 but my free trial ran out.

Then Vanguard came out. and I was totally psyched to try it out. I dropped $120 for two copies for me and my ex, just to realized, after installing, my computer couldn't handle it. I installed it on another computer (it was still laggy) and tried playing for a while, and gave up almost immediately because I was getting killed constantly by level 2 mobs, I was running into a wall for 2 minutes thinking I was going some where just to realize the city just hadn't loaded yet, and didn't always have someone to play with. I'm sure if I had more friends playing it could have been awesome.

Then Warhammer came along and my b/f and I got the open beta. I looooooooved it. Even with all it's bugs knowing it was just going to get better. It was my first game doing RvR and loved it too. But my boyfriend lost interest, then I lost interest because WotLK was coming out. I've heard good things about it now from friends, but haven't had enough time to go back and try it.

I heard a lot about Conan (from employees at Game Stop mostly) but didn't want to spend the money. And I heard (hear) a lot about Star Wars and Star Trek, but as much as I like Warhammer 40k, I can't get into futuristic MMOs...

Non of these MMOs were competitive though. I think once WoW gets it's hooks in you, it's just terribly hard to quit it.

Diablo 3 though....can't wait for that (even though it's not an MMO)
    Last edited by LameCake; 2010-11-14 at 06:47 PM.

Played AoC thinking it was going to be much better and replace wow, brought the game and never renewed my subcription, why? i cant actually remember thats how bad it is, was prob just bored. Played warhammer for 2 months then just got bored of the plain looking gear. I tried Aion and i liked that the most, it had such potential with flying etc and i really liked the combat system, moves animations looked awesome and i like the japenesse style scrolling text, armor wasnt too bad but i wasnt prepared to grind my way through 20 lvls.

I have to say though i love LOTRO, probably because its the first mmo i ever played due to the fact i loved the LOTRO story and previous games on the ps2, before lotro i had never heard of a mmo and the whole idea with lotro just amazed me, i still go back to it time to time, and then a friend recommended i try wow and i never looked back lol

Tbh i think the only real wow killer will be when Blizzard release there new mmo, as they know what there gamers want and they know the market better then anyone, also they have some of the best developers out there, unless they try to aim it at a different player base so they can just keep there 12million subcribers and hopefully get more to gain more money,power and eventually take over the world.

Warhammer 40000: Dark Millennium Online - for the win о_О-Р

(This is a post in response to several ppl on the first page predicting Guild Wars 2 or the new Star Wars MMO will beat WoW)

For anyone out there that still thinks a game may kill WoW in the near future: I'm not sure if you realize how UNBELIEVABLY popular WoW is compared to ANY OTHER MMO OR SIMILAR GAME IN EXISTENCE. The number of people that play this game is staggeringly large, something that no one would have ever predicted. Nothing even comes remotely close. To predict that any game out there will come even close to these numbers is to predict that it will become one of the most popular games in history, which is a bit of a leap, especially given the success of previous "WoW killers."

WoW will die out after we hit level 100, Blizz stops making new content for it, and as people finish the existing content and get bored with it, they will then migrate to other games.

Of course, by that time, Blizz will probably think up something new for all of us to be addicted to.
    I've played a balance druid and an arms warrior since the release of Vanilla WoW, simply because they are fun and I like the play styles. Enjoy the game.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantelija View Post
    I will prob get flamed for saying this but Star Wars The Old Republic mmo rpg that should be released in 2011 has a good chance to be on pair with WoW

Game has been in development for almost 3 years and by looking at aspects of the game it has everything player would need/want
    That game will be the biggest flop in recent times, no question about it. What a horribly hyped game it is.

I personally think the new BioWare MMO might be a wow-killer,but there has been so many games I thought the same about..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithivius View Post
    me and my friend have been talking about this forever! lol

OT: like people are saying....i dont think anything will ever kill WoW....the only thing that will ever kill WoW is blizzard themselves when they feel that there is nothing left to do with it...there are 12 million people playing this game and i dont see all of them going away anytime soon.

there will be games that come and go. some will stick around and live side by side with WoW but like people above are saying the only games coming soon that have ANY chance of being as good as WoW are GW2 and Old Republic. i just hope that hype doesnt completely kill those games. too many times has a game come out that was hyped to no end just to get picked apart by people because it wasnt amazing at launch

Quote Originally Posted by Sun-Ra View Post
    So, over the past 5-6 or so years of playing world of warcraft, almost all of the MMO's released during that time were said to be WoW killers. For example, when Age of conan was released, i was sure i was going to quit WoW when reading about it, and watching a dozen trailers, the gameplay was just epic looking. so me any my friends droped $50 each on its release day, made characters, and as most of you know, quit at lvl 20ish because the game's questing went from a 10/10 to a 2/10 after leaving the starting zone. After that, games like Warhammer, and Aion all lured my friends in, (luckily i was broke at the time xD) and they all quit after a few week, but were convinced it was a WoW killer. So i was just wondering what is everyone's here WoW killer experience, and what games disappointed you the most, like Age of conan did for me.
    Honestly, I'd recommend you give Age of Conan another shot. If I had the money sitting around to play 2 subscription based MMOs at the same time, I'd pick Age of Conan back up in a heart beat. After being gone for nearly two years, I resubbed a while back when the expansion pack was released and was really quite surprised how much they cleaned the game up. They also added a ton of content as well. Just a heads up. The only reason I choose WoW over AoC is the pick-up-and-play nature of the game now and because, well, I've already established myself on my server. In Age of Conan I don't know a single person. But anyway. I <3 my Bear Shaman. RAWR!
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithivius View Post
    omg gief

WoW wont die till blizzards new MMO which is 6-7 Years away.
    Cata - 2 Years
    85-90 2 Years (Emerald/Azshara)
    90-100 2 Years (Sargeras+Friends)
    IMO

10+ Year Old Account
    I am far from a Blizzard fanboy. I have tried every game mentioned herein and then some. The truth is, WoW is simply superior in every technical aspect of the current MMO scene. The graphics are subpar, but I can live with them. WoW really has done a great job of keeping me engaged with content.

I have been playing since vanilla beta, have more hours logged in than anyone I'm aware of and still I find something new every day. There is always something to do and very little of that feels like Asian-grind.

only thing that dragged me away from WoW for a time was Warhammer. We had killed KJ 17 times and I was utterly bored with WoW, WoTLK seemed to be just more of the same except nerfed so "everyone" could raid. I quit at the end of TBC and played Warhammer for about 2 months. What really made me stop is just how well WoWs characters/pvp is designed vs Warhammers, at least in my opinion. I got tired of the energy bar in Warhammer vs my Warriors rage bar, and mobility and pretty much came back for that... If they dropped warrior from WoW into Warhammer, I'd probably be there.

For those of you that have been around a long time, everquest.... No one thought EQ would ever die (and in a lot of ways they haven't). However they all do....even WoW will. What won't happen is total isolation with a game like WoW. The strong points of EQ keep people playing EQ. The strong points of WoW will keep people playing WoW forever until they die.

You take for example in EQ how enchanting being killed and slaughtered over and over and over and over at lvls 10 and below was. Then you get the hang of it. Then on to the next "challenge". It may take you a month to master this small task, but once you have BOOM!! you will remember it for the rest of your life. Now imagine you have this one major "Epic" =) quest to do. You enlist an entire team of people to help you all f***ing day and fail. Then you log on tomorrow to try again and fail. At long last next week some time you entice them to try with you again and success!!! Then comes the part where you have to repeat it 10 times to complete the first of 25 steps of this "Epic" quest.... Imagine the mental erection you get after finally finishing it all. That my friends will last forever in your mind. That will be the reason why EQ will never be empty.

Similar aspects of WoW will be why it never becomes isolated and deserted. Im not saying impossinbly hard quests, not at all. Im saying things that you did in WoW that you took with you to work or school for the next 5 weeks on end. Things that you would rather do in WoW other than go cruise the mall lookin for tail for the 90th time this year with your 2 best friends whom (like yourself) never got laid doing this either.

I feel SW:Tor will be strong because George Lucas has more money than god and can backup a good game and there are some people out there that actually do believe in the force. END OF STORY!

DA:O is something we've all been searching for a long time. An MMO feel w/o the hassles of MMOs...and a lot downsides of not actually being an MMO, but its still a very very killer game. If you hadn't tried it yet i highly suggest it!

All those other MMOs we've mentioned are simply this: Blizz puts out a killer game (WoW), and every venture capitalist in the gaming industry finally smells the smelling salts and wants a bit of the action. They all scramble to put out their best shot at the title w/o hesitation or a thought about anything but a bottom line...that being MONEY MONEY MONEY!!! In the comming years we will see more of these "cyber leeches" trying to take our money and be happy with any sort of a positive return on their invesments, and no matter how small a return they recieve they will keep putting them out. FORTUNATELY there will be some in the next 5 or so years with serious consideration to what they put out aside from money and will be very good games, it will just be a matter of how tired we are of WoW and how avant-guard their gameplay is.
    Last edited by Ebb; 2010-11-14 at 07:38 PM. Reason: clarity
    money's such a good medium of exchange until you lose focus on the fact that it's a medium of exchange in favor of thinking of it as an end in itself?

Age of Conan is probaly the most disappointing MMO I've tried. It was fun all the way up to 20, then it plunged. I thought Aion would give WoW competition, but no. It's a beautiful game though, no doubt. But it's lacking a few key factors.
    Last edited by Solstark; 2010-11-14 at 07:39 PM.

I first tried Warhammer 1 or 2 years ago when it was abit newer, was really cool but I went back to wow. Tried it again a few months ago and they screwed some of the awesome massive battle in it. A game that got me off wow for a while was All Points Bulletin, MMO shooter game, soo much fun to play. Just a shame the game company went down and closed the servers, just waiting for the new guys that bought to bring it back

the problem is that the game would need to not just be better then wow, but have a stronger community.

---------- Post added 2010-11-14 at 07:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Foxdale View Post
    Warhammer 40000: Dark Millennium Online - for the win о_О-Р
    DMO isn't* trying to kill wow. which is why it will do great.

Some day, people will feel that wow, no matter how much it evolves stays the same game it was five years ago. Then those people will leave, and while they leave after playing it for 10 years they will yell and flame and blame blizzard for making the worst shit ever!

Another part of the players will gone already after noticing that saying "you suck, you suck you suck!11" to people who say "but you suck, you suck!11" will never ever get them the respect they dreamed of when they first saw a character in full T2 in vanilla and said to themselves "i want to be like that someday".
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

Artefacts:
    • In ordner to better fit the current post-truth zeitgeist, we are going to rename alle occurences of "artefact" into "artebelieve".

I've tried AoC, WAR, Aion and STO. Though i doubt STO was called a possible wow killer before it came out. Only game that I found worth playing for more then a month was WAR because of the PvP in it, but eventually i quit.
    I am a big fan of the star wars universe and I'll be playing on old republic the day it comes out but it most likely wont even make a dent in WoWs population. Its just been hyped up to much like most other MMOs have and when they get released they are just mainly full of disappointments.
    Trying to play GW2 like you played WoW is like trying to play Chess using a Checkers strategy.
    -----
    Give a man a fire and he will be warm for the night, set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.