Anyone else amazed by this?

So we see threads all the time about what will kill WoW, how long WoW will go, etc. First of all, it seems to me that nothing will kill WoW, ever. It will only stop when it becomes unprofitable, or when Blizzard decides to kill it (I don't mean pull the plug on servers but stops making any content or patches) because they want us playing their new mmo instead. There are going to be numerous expansion packs, and the last 2 lasted 2 years each. I think we have at least 2 more AFTER Cata, as most believe I think. So, thats 6+ years. A lot of us will most likely stay on, weather it be hardcore or casual for WoW's life be it 6 years or whatever.

In all thats 12+ years of your life on one game... that just amazes me personally because all games I played before WoW came out lasted a max of 18 months, maybe barely 2 years before I was 100% bored of them and never looked back. 12 years is like a 4th-5th of your fully functional life (not being a child who cant do whatever he wants or too old to function at 100%) I don't know, I guess this thread doesn't have a concrete point, I just find it amazing a game lasting that long, especially one that (imo) looks awful, looked awful on release and keeps me here because of the great game play. Anyone else awed at how long this game is going to last? I mean I don't think anything else has even come close. For me personally, its gonna be picking the game up at 24 (2004) and playing, at least casually, till late 30's.. crazy.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW certainly is a beast when it comes to longevity.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

10+ Year Old Account
    It is also best value for money game wise, I used to buy one console game for around £30-40 once or twice a month, with wow I don't buy any console games anymore. Its such a money saver.
    Tankadin in Aurora. 6/6HC MSV 6/6HC HOF 3/4HC Terrace 3 days a week (25).

Deleted
    As an MMO it can change and keep the community that play the game entertained throughout it's lifespan. We can see one way blizzard is doing this in Cataclysm. Changing the game for what it is will entertain the community once more thus prolonging it's life span, and I think we will see this in more ways than just Cataclysm in the future!

I pay blizzard a monthly fee to update their content so I can play 1 game instead of buying games like "the force unleashed 2" which lasts 6 hours and is the biggest load of horse crap i have played in awhile.

like you said, why paying X euros / dollars per month to get enough entainment-time when u can have a all-in-all still great and getting even better game 24/7 for 11 euros (donno the fee in dollars) ?

for me personally the one and only forthcoming game which has a little chance to make me quit wow is diablo3.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Im with the others. I love being able to pay only 15 bucks a month for 24/7 entertainment as suppose to buying a console game beating it in a few hours and then forking another 60 dollars to play a new on. plus it locks me in my house as a money saver lol
    "We are not tools of the goverment or anyone else. Fighting was the only thing I was good at, but at least I fought for what I believed in." -Gray Fox-

If Everquest is on its 14th(?) Expansion set, World of Warcraft can go for as long as they want. EQ was amazing and revolutionary but every time I see an expansion coming out I am amazed. I quit on the 5th or 6th for WoW.... been a long journey for them, Blizzard has enough story and lore to go for 4-5-6-7 expansions.

If real life had feats of strength, Blizzard would have one for putting together one of the best put together games in history. It rejuvinated a struggleing MMO market when it first game out, and has set the benchmark for any MMO that has come after it. And it hasnt even come close to being reached by anyone else. It really is a gaming masterpiece.

Im looking foward to SWTOR, so much work is going into that game, Bioware is going all out for it, cant wait. Years of development behind it and still more to come before its ready. But even when it comes out Ill most likely just end up playing both that and WoW and abandoning consoles alltogether :P
    The generalist looks outward; he looks for living principles, knowing full well that such principles change, that they develop. It is to the characteristics of change itself that the mentat-generalist must look. There can be no permanent catalogue of such change, no handbook or manual. You must look at it with as few preconceptions as possible, asking yourself, "Now what is this thing doing?" -Children of Dune

Id agree the game has actually saved me $.. rather then buying $50 games I beat in 2 days, for $15 a month I keep playing this... in slow times in the game (such as now) I get thoes games but now they are like $19 vs $50 a year or 2 ago, experience them in a few days and go back to WoW.

Just want to point out that wow isn't actually saving anyone money... Even if you pay $15 a month for wow vs $60 a month for a new console game, you're really not saving anything. Wow is just less of a waste of money, so you're wasting less money each month. Not saving more money each month.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogoat View Post
    Just want to point out that wow isn't actually saving anyone money... Even if you pay $15 a month for wow vs $60 a month for a new console game, you're really not saving anything. Wow is just less of a waste of money, so you're wasting less money each month. Not saving more money each month.
    That depends. If you were going to spend money on games anyway, $15 instead of $60 could be seen as saving money.
    Amateur Photographer studying Mathematics!
    Linkedin - Portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Yogoat View Post
    You sir, are a "Glass half empty" kind of person aren't you? lol

I view it that WoW saves me cash cause i don't see my entertainment as a "waste of money" as Yogoat apparently does. being entertained and happy is what life is about.

So since I'm paying $15 a month to play wow that's saving me a lot compared to the $60 every 3-4 weeks I'd be paying otherwise to stay entertained with other games.

I didn't even think of the character point. When you finally do quit, you are waving goodbye to a decade + old character.. damn.. mine would be 12 if WoW does end in 6 years. freaking crazy, that is going to be really weird.

Its not a question of if. Wow will die out eventually, and it wont likely by anything to do with blizzard or another game to rip people away. It will die when people finally get bored of it or it becomes super dated.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it's worth playing and I enjoy it I'll pay, regardless of the price.