Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Cataclysm and Addons?

i use a lot of addons and i was wondering which addons will still be usable after patch 4.0.2 and 4.0.3 and are there any updates coming up after these two patchs.

such as: necrosis, bagnon, auctioneer, Decursive, questhelper, sexy map, Vuhdo, Xperl and finally shock and awe.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can check your favorite addon website, but for the most part authors have access to BETA, where they can update their addons as builds progress. So chances are that they will be up to date once Cata is released.

10+ Year Old Account
    Curse (and probably the other addon sites) will let you filter addon searches to only show Cataclysm-ready addons.

I'm on Beta right now, the majority of addons that have the 'Cataclysm' logo on them, or the "BETA" tag are working. Addon authors are usually very ontop of their game, and chances are already have coded the new addons for 4.0.3.

15+ Year Old Account
    If it works in 4.0.1, 99% chance it will work just fine in 4.0.3 and 4.0.3a. The major UI changes are already out now.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you hit the train tracks you've gone to far.
    If anything the smaller, not so popular addons will be out of date, but yea a majority of them are updated that day or the next day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Psilo View Post
    Every time I see somebody with Xperl I cringe a little bit on the inside.

A quick recommendation:

The most stable current unit frames I've come across from patch to patch and therefore also the one that I see most progression raiders use is Shadowed Unit Frames.
    What's wrong with X-Perl? I tried SUF once but it looks awful in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by SeabeastRivin View Post
    What's wrong with X-Perl? I tried SUF once but it looks awful in comparison.
    I am with you on that. When the new blizz raid frames came out, i rather used the broken xperl (before it got fixed for 4.0) than sit through the blizz frames. SUF, is just ugh...

Yeah as was previously said the big addon breaker was 4.X. Addon lovers are more or less in the clear.
    Troll McCarthyism is sad

It would be best to check the sites for the specific addons, a lot of addon developers are in the beta so they have a good idea of what's going to happen.

One addon I'm sure of is Questhelper, if you have it currently installed, all you get is an error message that, to me, says that the developer couldn't be bothered and isn't doing anything with it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by toho View Post
    i use a lot of addons and i was wondering which addons will still be usable after patch 4.0.2 and 4.0.3 and are there any updates coming up after these two patchs.

such as: necrosis, bagnon, auctioneer, Decursive, questhelper, sexy map, Vuhdo, Xperl and finally shock and awe.
    QuestHelper is useless and a waste of memory/CPU, SexyMap has some minor bugs still but is perfectly usable and the rest should be perfectly fine

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by toho View Post

Necrosis hasn't been updated in a few years. But all of the other addons you listed here will either be updated or useable.

Quote Originally Posted by Xs View Post
    QuestHelper is useless and a waste of memory/CPU
    Yeah, it boggles my mind that people actually use this even though Carbonite exists
    Troll McCarthyism is sad

10+ Year Old Account
    Same here.

L2oUF
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

10+ Year Old Account
    never heard of this "Carbonite" you speak of.

Edit: i cant find it on curse.
    Last edited by Toho; 2010-11-15 at 04:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a system hog, frequently has problems after patches, and is rigidly preformatted.

Did you customize SUF? Maybe it is just personal preference but it's designed to be really clean and simple. A lot of PvE Heroes are into having these extravagant UIs, which is fine do what makes you happy, but that's like driving a sports car that can't fit a trunk full of groceries - all flash and no practicality. XPerl seems like an attempt at meeting in the middle.

But, don't take my word for it. There are plenty of places to look up world first kill videos: You won't see those players running XPerl.
    Yeah, as a casual player I don't need a cutting-edge UI. I think I didn't like SUF because it was too clean; X-Perl is bigger but I can see everything I want to at a glance.

I've been using it for a long time now and it rarely seems to have problems after patches, though. It tends to break in PTR but it's always fixed by release.

10+ Year Old Account
    Please tell me you at least changed the textures? (:
    On which? I made a lot of minor changes to X-Perl's settings but I don't even remember what I did with SUF anymore. I know I messed around with it a bit but I didn't keep it very long.

10+ Year Old Account
    For Necrosis, check out LunarSphere (google it). It replaces all the sphere addons (cryolysis, necrosis, holyhope, etc).

You can't find Carbonite addon? Let me Google that for you.

Carbonite is a super-addon that does map, questing, gathering, inventory... I haven't used it in a long time so maybe it has some additional features now. It doesn't work with the Curse client and requires a lot of updating of its own, so I don't really bother... plus, as you could guess it uses a lot of memory.
    It doesn't require a lot of updating. It will tell you when there is an update waiting based on the background communication with other users when you're in the game.
    Also, it uses less memory than QuestHelper.

A quick recommendation:

The most stable current unit frames I've come across from patch to patch and therefore also the one that I see most progression raiders use is Shadowed Unit Frames.
    Xperl and SUF don't even look that much different, so why the hell does xperl make you "cringe"?

As for Xperl, it's been very stable for me, and works perfectly fine in the Beta with no issues.

---------- Post added 2010-11-15 at 07:03 AM ----------

It's a system hog, frequently has problems after patches, and is rigidly preformatted.

Did you customize SUF? Maybe it is just personal preference but it's designed to be really clean and simple. A lot of players are into having these extravagant UIs, which is fine do what makes you happy, but that's like driving a sports car that can't fit a trunk full of groceries - all flash and no practicality. XPerl seems like an attempt at meeting in the middle.

But, don't take my word for it. There are plenty of places to look up world first kill videos: You won't see those players running XPerl or any super-fancy shit.

EDIT:
    Quick note: This thread probably belongs elsewhere and could be better answered there.
    The ONLY time I've ever had any issues with Xperl during a major patch was 4.0 on the PTR, not live. Within days of the PTR going up they already had a fixed version. As for it being a system hog, I don't know what you're talking about, but mine barely takes up any memory.
    Last edited by nsupra27; 2010-11-15 at 07:04 AM.